View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Bob656
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi! i'm desperate with NOTR!

Hi to everyone, i'm new here!
I just bought NOTR (here in Italy, Italian version), and so I restarted to play G2 after a long time...now the terrible thing is that with my new PC and with this dammned graphic card (Radeon 9550, 256Mb), it freezes and crashes too often...it has become nearly impossibile to play!!!
I have to save game just every couple of minutes!!!
I try to set a lot of different resolutions, but expecially in some places, it crashes anyway....what should i do now??
I've downloaded the latest DirectX (9.0c) and the latest Catalyst version (5.4 i think)...this game is driving me mad!!
Perhaps should i shut down Catalyst before beginning G2? o what else?
Thanks!
Post Sun May 01, 2005 7:56 am
Bob656
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Uhm, i didn't notice that I posted in G1 troubleshooting forum, and not G2...i'm sorry!
Post Sun May 01, 2005 8:43 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Hi!

I think itīs rather unlikely that a compatibility issue with a graphics card causes crashes and freezes. You should get a corrupted picture or no videos, but no serious issues.
G2 puts heavy load on CPU and memory. Maybe you should look elsewhere. I bet something is wrong with your PC.
Especially since the Radeon 9500 series is comaptible with G2.
Post Sun May 01, 2005 5:00 pm
Bob656
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

How can I discover if there's something wrong with my PC? perhaps a conflict?
Is there a way to find it out?
CPU should be ok (3000), and RAM Memory should be enough (1 Giga...Gothic was already smooth and fast when in the past I had only 512Mb)...sometimes i get an error msg (when it shut down the game and return to window) that the graphic accelerator does not respond to command, and VPU has to recover it, or something like that.
Some other times, when it comes back to windows (XP, SP2), it turns automatically the display configuration to 800x600 (usually it is 1024x768, 32 bit)...may it be a monitor problem (an old Compaq MV740)?
Or perhaps an audio problem (but i doubt)?
Thank you Gorath!
Post Sun May 01, 2005 5:45 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You could open the case and try G2 again. If the crashes stop you have a serious heat problem. This doesnīt necessarily mean you donīt have a heat problem if it still crashes, though. If you have a ventilator let it blow onto the CPU and the graphics card. This increases air flow.
You could also download one of the latest 3DMark to test your graphics card.
How old is your windows installation? Are you sure the graphics card is installed correctly and driver and BIOS options/settings are correct?

Generally speaking G2 is pretty stable. It can have all sorts of minor issues, but at least it should not crash.
Post Sun May 01, 2005 6:24 pm
Bob656
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the infos!
Now i'm dowloading the 3dmark version 3.6.0 (the latest), so I will see about my graphic card.
As for the configurations, if you mean those found in Catalyst control center, i never changed any of them, there are (i think) the standard ones.
The PC is rather new, i bought it in late december 2004, and did never use it a lot, so i hope it's not an hardware or heat problem (after so few months? my previous one was pratically always powered-on all the day, and in 5 years i encountered no heat problem).
To be honest, it is not the first game that I used to play successfully with my old PC, in wich I find now problems (mostly video problems) with this Radeon...for example, sometimes it happen with VTM Bloodlines as well.
Strange...perhaps the Catalyst settings somehow are not correct.
Anyway, in a few minutes i'm going to test fully the graphic card...so i will see if it works correctly or perhaps they sold me an used device (it may happen)...
Post Sun May 01, 2005 6:43 pm
Bob656
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think now that my problem is the Monitor...old, too old Compaq MV740, and as I can see through the net, it seems not to be exactly the most compatible monitor Compaq have ever done...and the monitor drivers are too old as well, 6/6/2001, and the worst thing is that i can't find any update of them, even in Compaq/HP main site...
Perhaps the problem could be the adapter cable as well.
Seems I have to buy a new monitor, sooner or later...
Post Sun May 01, 2005 10:49 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Monitor? Unlikely. You donīt even need drivers for a monitor. Nowadays all monitors support Plug & Play.
Do you have an opportunity to borrow another monitor for a day?
Post Sun May 01, 2005 11:00 pm
Bob656
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah, i managed to do it.
I took my PC at my local store (the one who sold me it), and after nearly a week of testing every single component, it became clear that motherboard was not compatible with ATI video card, and so they changed the MB...now everythings is fine with hardware (and it's all tested),
But...but...now i have another problem: randomly G2 crashes and when it returns to Windowx (XP, Sp2), it tells me that Gothic2 caused an "access violation error at 005D981Dh" attempting to read at FFFF984Bh...
What could it be? a virtual memory problem perhaps? my virtual file goes from 1536 to 3072 Mb..should I change it?
Now i am 100% SURE that it is NOT an hardware problem, so it must be something else.
When I play G2 i disable Norton 2005, and i have a lot of Ram (1 Gig), so i think Ram memory should be enough.
Post Tue May 10, 2005 4:47 am
Bob656
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Reading through the forum, i see that it may really be a virtual memory size problem..true?
If it were only that, it will be easy to solve (i will simply change the size of XP virtual memory file...i have still 30Gig of free space on Hard drive, so i can manage that)...but i want to be sure before i make changes in windows settings.
The funny thing is that, by now, i bought NOTR almost two weeks ago and I barely managed to go back to Khorinis city...
Post Wed May 11, 2005 6:05 am
Bob656
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I changed some resolution in the game, i switched (in XP) the virtual memory from 1,5 Gb to 2 Gb, i've tried almost EVERYTHING, but nothing to do...still this thrice-damned "Access violation", (this time at 0053bbe8h attempting to read at 00002692h), G2 goes out to Windows (strange thing...sound still plays for a while...perhaps an audio problem? my card is C-Media AC97, drivers are updated) and does not respond anymore.
What should i do now? i'm about to give up...
Post Thu May 12, 2005 5:39 pm
GokYabguHan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The source of your problem can be your sound card.Onboard sound card can do problems like this.Run "dxdiag.exe" from Start-Run menu. In the sound menu there is an indicator that shows the sound acceleration level. This indicator must be in "full acceleration" level, down it to "basic acceleration". Press ok then run the game.
Another problem can be your onboard ethernet card. If it's active try to disable it from the bios menu or uninstall ethernet drivers from Windows.
And, last this problem can be XP SP2 issue. I know that many old games (and not very old games games like Kotor) have compatible issues with SP2. I recommend you to install SP1 instead of SP2. Because, SP2 uses a firewall that disrupts some games. There is a way to disable this program. But, i don't know how. Wander in the Microsoft site, you can find this there.
Post Thu May 12, 2005 6:37 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Lowering the sound acceleration is a good idea.

Also change the sound provider in the game to Miles Fast. Itīs the most compatible one.

The Gothics were incompatible to one onboard sound chip. I donīt remember if it was C-Media, though.
Post Thu May 12, 2005 11:57 pm
Bob656
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thak you guys for the help and hints, they are really appreciated.
So, I lowered the sound accel. to basic level, and i set Miles Fast for G2-NOTR sound provider...sadly, still nothing to do.
I went to Control Panel...my ethernet cardn is a "VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adepter", drivers 11/11/2003 (no further update found in Windows)...i will try to disable it and see if this may be the problem, but i'm a bit sceptical about it.
SP2...I think this might be THE problem as well, I heard a lot of bad compatibility of several games with SP2...but i don't know how to get back to SP1, since i installed my XP already with SP2 inside (i mean...i never ugraded from SP1 to SP2).
Damn, i'm going really mad to play this game...
Post Fri May 13, 2005 12:32 pm
Bob656
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I disabled ethernet card, but nothing different.
After 5 minutes, another crash.
This time the access violation is at 005D981Dh attempting to read from FFFF804Bh.
Anyway, the only active program i have is VIA Raid Tool, ver. 2.40...should i turn it off?
Post Fri May 13, 2005 1:11 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next