View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Adventure Games

Author Thread
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Scratches

Anyone play this one yet?
Im not much into adventure games, I personally dont like the pixel hunting thing, but I might make an exception for this one. I saw it in the store, and it looks pretty interesting and spooky. I like the old Victorian house thing, and I just got done watching "Joshua" a pretty harrowing movie about "something" hidden away, a dark and horrible secret. Got me in the mood for a mystery such as this.

Havent read a bad review of it yet, wondering if any locals have tried it out. I dont want to play the demo, if I play it I want to go into it knowing as little as possible.

Scratches official site

Game Trailer

Good Review @ Adventure Gamers

By the way, the movie I mentioned earlier, "Joshua", be careful with that one. I never get nightmares, nor do movies bother me the next day. "Joshua" is an exception.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:08 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Liking it so far, this is the type of adventure game I've been waiting for. It's pretty creepy, has great music, is quite good looking, and there has been some interesting reading and storyline thus far. I dont want to say Lovecraft, because his name is tacked on more things these days than "Made In Taiwan" but it has a few of his recurring themes, and is obviously a major influence on the makers of this game..

But it's a good game so far, and even better, you dont need the cd in to play it
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:31 am
Oric
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Awesome Game...allready finished it!!!
Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:26 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

It scared the hell out of me last night. Even after I got done with it and shut it down, I was still a little freaked.

Get this, I go into my kitchen to get a drink, it's like 3 am, and there's like this weird scratching sound coming from within the wall next to the fridge. I sh*t you not, then there was a little thump or two, then louder scratching. Then it just stopped as soon as it had started.

Needless to say, my freakin fur stood up on end!!!!
Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:58 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Looks like a fun little game. Maybe I'll pick it up during the summer.
Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:02 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Actually, the game's first half was pretty cool, but the "second act" if you will, had some problems. The scary ambience is metered out to hit you at key points with some pretty chilling little moments, but the rest of the time, you start feeling like youre just making laps around some old house in the dark.

It has a habit of dragging out some rather obscure puzzles, of which the solution is more the result of arbitrary luck or just "trying everything", instead of any logic or investigative skills. Also, there is one puzzle in particular where you need to use a certain product, for a use which doesnt even seem likely, or even feasible for that matter. Time to make some laps around the house again, click click click.....

There also are some puzzles that are solved, but you are not informed of this at the time. Come to find out, you were supposed to "go rest" to move the story along, after some invisible goal had been reached. The result is you meanwhile canvassing the entire house, over and over again, looking for the one little spot you didnt click or whatever. It's absolutely maddening. It's like after you solve something, the feeling of elation soon turns to exasperation, after you start to feel as if you have to just basically search the entire house again, clicking on anything you can interact with, with everything in your inventory.

With the spots of detection sometimes being as small as a dime and flashing by in an instant, even when not mousing particularly quickly, I had found myself breaking down and reading that part of a walkthru, come to find out I had already searched that very spot several times. Again, canvassing the entire house over and over. Maddening. Becomes un-scary, quick, I remember barking "aw shut the hell up" at certain points when the formerly scary noises just became quite irritating.

If this typifies "Adventure Game" play, I know why it is that I rarely ever embark on what starts out as a quest of wonder, and ends as a saga of endurance.
Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:20 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Then I'll wait for the poorly made Uwe Boll film version of the game.
Post Mon May 08, 2006 5:37 pm