Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
bought the game yesterday on a whim, was it worth it?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

bought the game yesterday on a whim, was it worth it?

it seems cool from afar, and the first few hours are a truckload of fun, but i'm getting a little confused, could sum1 clear it up for me?

1. is it possible to make the characters walk? cuz i'm in that stonebridge town and their walking around like idiots.

2. i noticed the classes are somewhat combined, even though the book says that its only warrior, archer, or mage. so do they all dump into one of those three at the end or something?

3. is it worth it to blow all 900 of my gold peices on a pack mule?

4. why do these guys die so easily? its like every group of krug raiders i run into knock out most of my party.

5. is the story line changeable at all? i dn't really mind if it isn't, but games where you carve your own fate are more fun than the ones where it seems like u have freedom, but you're really just going along the same old storyline.

thats it. thx for any responses.
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Sat Apr 20, 2002 7:41 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Re: bought the game yesterday on a whim, was it worth it?

1. I do not know what you mean with this. Characters are walking, alway swalking (or running), if you have them selected, they will go where you show them to go, if you have selected only one character, others will follow him using AI

2. You can make combined and you can make pure characters. But single player doesnt offer enough space to make powerful "two classes" character, you can do it in multiplayer

3. I do not use them, it is not necessary, you do not need to colect everything, but only powerful items. It is necessary if you plan walk with one or two characters trought whole game.

4. What difficulty are playing? I am playing on normal and I have no such problems. You need to develop all your characters and give them good armor and give them such commands that will allow stay low-AC class characters far enough from enemies

5. No. Story is strictly linear. However there is enough side quests and hidden tunels and areas.
Post Sat Apr 20, 2002 7:58 pm
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

i meant that the ppl always run everywhere. is there a way to make them walk slowly? and the characters are dying in normal mode. maybe i just suck at RPGs, though i do love them so.

thx fer the tips dani.
"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Sat Apr 20, 2002 9:08 pm
Arms Of Dirt
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

1) There is no distinction between walking and running... The characters simply move to the spot on the ground that you click... There is only one 'speed' at which they do this...

2) Yes, pure characters can be made... though it's pretty much inevitable that you will be 'somewhat' multi-classed... since it's simply not prudent to always charge into a horde of tanks (you'll see them later) with only a sword or mace...(the tanks target poorly at longer range) So you'll likely want to develop some ranged attributes for most of your characters... The 'level' your character is at is some odd formula of combinations of levels of different skills if you are multi-classed, and a single skill if you are single classed.

3) Early on... the Pack Mule has major advantages...and will pay for itself in the first haul of goods... since your party is pretty short on cash for weapons upgrades, or spare potions... etc. Later, perhaps at the halfway point, (Around Kroth) you can dispense with it in favor of another full fledged (and fighting!) member of the party... as gold and cash will be MUCH more plentiful. I'd also get the 'Transmute' spell for one of your characters, as it's always nice to turn those items you'd normally not pick up, into gold... even if it is only a fraction of what you'd get if you sold it... But, since it's a fairly low level spell, don't expect to find it in any towns past Glaciern... I'd look for it in StoneBridge... and buy it from the potion shop. Remember, you cannot Transmute spells, rings, potions or amulets... only armor or weapons... To Transmute an item, choose Transmute as your active spell... hold your cursor over the item on the ground (But do NOT click on it) and then press the 'C' key... Viola! Instant gold... Expect 1/10th the gold value you'd get when selling the item outright... but it's still better than letting it just rot there on the dungeon floor, if you don't have space to pick it up.

4) Much of the reason your party dies is likely due to how you approach the enemy... if you charge in... you'll get rushed, and likely, you'll get dead, too. Best to single out an enemy, and hit just that one with ranged weapons FIRST... luring him away from the group and into your party, where your Melee characters can "bash them good". Using this method, you can pick apart even the largest enemy groupings... without taking a pounding yourself... but if you rush in... you'll get surrounded and pounded and dead for sure... and THAT can be frustrating... Later in the game, you will encounter scenarios that make it more difficult to not just 'rush' in... but there are other tactics that can be used in those instances.

5) Story is VERY linear... but to Danicek's point... there are several secret areas and side quests... to make the game not 'feel' quite so linear... And when playing Multi-Player maps like the Utraine Peninsula, there's plenty of countryside to explore (Nearly twice as large as the Kindom of Ehb)...

Arms of Dirt
Post Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:01 am