Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Anyone else encountering dump-to-desktop syndrome?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
dk1510

Anyone else encountering dump-to-desktop syndrome?

I bought Morrowind today. Love it. However, the game keeps dumping me back to the desktop right after the character creation bit when you pick up the dagger and you're supposed to walk through the door to go talk to someone in the building next door. Anyone else having similar problems? Hopefully tech support will get back to me soon because I'm dying to play!
Post Fri May 03, 2002 1:41 am

Brother Kane

Dump to desktop

Beautiful but unplayable. I get dumped directly to the desktop right after character creation as well. Right after I pick up the dagger and head out the door: Windows ME, GeForce 2, Intel 1G, Santa Cruz(turtle) sound card Anybody have any ideas. Oh well, back to Jedi Outcast
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:38 am

Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

How much memory do you have, i heard there was a memory related bug in Morrowind

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Fri May 03, 2002 3:29 am
Shifter

I had that happen 2 times but only after playing for a long time and I think it was something I caused when i was playing with the editor before starting my real game..
Post Fri May 03, 2002 3:42 am

iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Re: Dump to desktop

quote:
Originally posted by Brother Kane
Beautiful but unplayable. I get dumped directly to the desktop right after character creation as well. Right after I pick up the dagger and head out the door: Windows ME, GeForce 2, Intel 1G, Santa Cruz(turtle) sound card Anybody have any ideas. Oh well, back to Jedi Outcast

Oh shi........

That's the same setup I have...My game won't be here til monday probably, though...let me know if you find a remedy for it by then.

I have 512 MB PC133 Ram...just upgraded today...maybe that will help.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 3:47 am
IncendiaryLemon

dumped me once - cant remember any specific trigger for it though. running 1.7 pIV 384 ram geforce 3 ti200
Post Fri May 03, 2002 4:06 am

Brother Kane

VICTORY

Ok, heres the deal. I was on the official forum site and gleaned a little info. This problem is a video card DRIVER problem. Chances are, whoever is running into this problem has a GeForce 2 or 3. If that is the case this is what I did and it worked like a charm! Go directly to the NVidia website and download the brand spankin new drivers. I guess they are only 6 days old but. . .they worked for me. If you go to the vendor site (Dell, Compact, Gateway etc. . .) and download those it will not work. ONLY the official NVidia website(to my knowledgs ) has 'em. Good luck, and if it works post your results to other forums and help out all those sad buggers not able to enjoy this fine game. Whoooo Hoooo
Post Fri May 03, 2002 4:42 am

Seth

Kane, which drivers did you get? The 'official' 28.32 drivers or the newer 28.90 beta drivers?
Post Fri May 03, 2002 4:56 am

Daudr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You need the 28.32 Detonator drivers

The 28.32 Detonator drivers (posted on 4/26) from Nvidia's web site are fixing most of these types of problems.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 5:00 am
Seth

Thanks, means I don't have to play with new drivers ...
Waiting for my game to arrive next week and want to eliminate possible errors before they occur
Post Fri May 03, 2002 5:04 am

GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Another cause for dump to desktop problems mentioned on the official tech board (especially encountered after equipping stuff) was sound problems: reducing sound quality and reducing DirectX hardware acceleration for sound seems to usually help with this problem. Thought I'd post this here since the official boards are still dead slow
Post Fri May 03, 2002 5:42 am
HanshaSuro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes indeed...

In my first day of playing, which probably amounts to about 9 hours of playing, (I know, disgusting,) I have been dumped to the desktop 3 times. I'm having an absolutely great time, but I worry about the integrity of the game. FYI, I've been using the latest NVidia drivers (28.32) while having the game crash. Perhaps I'll look at the sound next...

"I read somewhere that in the last census, 1.6 percent of the population was not counted. How can they know that?"
-George Carlin
Post Fri May 03, 2002 6:27 am
Merkin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I've also had a couple of dumps, playing on a GF 2 Ti, with both the 28.32 and the new 28.90 drivers. In the dagger spot, it is a KNOWN bug, because the first time it happened, I got this in-game message, in a pretty little text box.

"You have picked up an obsolete artifact, your game will now crash. Have a nice day, Chris."

I kid you not,
Post Fri May 03, 2002 7:32 am
jamey333
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It happened to me twice. I closed Enternet 300 (My DSL PPPoE Client) and it hasn't happend since.

I am using Win2k, 1.4 Athlon, Geforce 2GTS MX, and 312MB RAM

I ordered a new video card but it hasn't shipped to me yet.
Other than that though the game has been running great.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 7:35 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Going to download them now. Game will be here in future, but prevention is good thing.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 7:39 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next