Usergroups
Wizardry 7 vs. Wizardry Gold ?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

A few weeks ago I found out that I am a proud , and a bit surprised , owner of these two games.

Could somebody please tell me the exact differences between the original and the remake? I guess HiddenX qualifies for this one.
Post Sun Sep 23, 2001 5:55 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Wizardry Gold is a enhanced version of Wizardry 7. better sound better graphics same story, same gameplay. Some people say the gold version runs better on modern computers.

(use moslo / pentium patch or an old 486 computer for playing)

Hx
Post Sun Sep 23, 2001 9:22 pm

It is said that in Wizardry Gold does not work diplomacy (i have just heard that, I have not played any of them).

Messages in Wizardry Gold are also very fast (this I experienced when trying the game), in game speed setting does not help.

Most of Wizardry fans seems to prefer Wizardry 7.

Mirek
Post Mon Sep 24, 2001 7:43 am

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Thanks for the infos.
Post Tue Sep 25, 2001 11:45 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I guess none of them runs in a Windows enviroment?
Post Thu Sep 27, 2001 12:35 pm
Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yes, Wizardry Gold is made to run in Windows.

Just to add a couple of things, Wizardry Gold also adds automap and in-game help menu.

I'm actually playing Wizardry 7 right now, and even though I have access to regular and Wiz gold, I chose the regular old Wizardry 7. Even though they're pretty much the same game, I think the old one looks and plays better once you get it running in DOS. I can't stand the portraits in Wizardry Gold, and I have problems with the keyboard input as if I was trying to play the old one in Windows. The automap would be nice, but it brings back good memories making my own maps on graph paper again.

I think the only thing I really don't like about the game is the NPC interaction. I hate typing line after line to them, and having them respond:
"I don't know about that..."
Post Thu Sep 27, 2001 1:48 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Umm, wasn't there some map feature in Wizardry 7? You got a map early on, and if you used it (can't remember whether it was skill based), you'd see some simple map of where you'd been on that map? Or would you refer to that as 'manual map' rather than automap?
Post Thu Sep 27, 2001 3:28 pm
Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Yes, there's the Journey Map Kit. It works like you said, by using it as an item. But it is skill based and doesn't even show doors until you get a good amount of points in the mapping skill. Also, you can't move while you look at it. I guess that does qualify as automap, but Wizardry Gold has a map in a separate window so you can move around while you're looking at it. The wizard's eye spell might do something like this for you, but I don't have it yet, and can't remember from when I played the game way back when it was new.

I haven't attempted to play Wiz Gold for quite some time, and thought I remembered the Wiz Gold automap not being skill based, but I just installed it to check, and it's map is just as un-detailed as my journey map kit, so that might not be the case. I guess I'm not missing out on that much after all.
Post Thu Sep 27, 2001 4:01 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Heh, I remember a way to swim very far indeed in that game. Whenever your party is getting fatigued, have them cast spells until they fall asleep. They don't seem to drown if they fall asleep in this manner (the check only seems to be made when you move your party), so if all of them fall asleep, your party just rests normally, and is fresh to swim even farther. There were some plotholes because of this (the text mentioned my ship
Post Fri Sep 28, 2001 12:20 am
Zedka
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I swam right across the sea, once...not cheating, just used a LOT of stamina spells and potions. Of course, I got stuck on an island because of it. My poor party...
Mind you, when I did find the ship, I kept forgetting where I'd left it.

Post Fri Sep 28, 2001 2:35 am
Zhakov
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

With wizardry 7 Im trying to get it to work on a p100 with 40 meg of ram but all I get is system error - see memory note 1. Ive tried eatxms and it dosnt work I have also tried to use the pentium patch which said to copy over the DS file with the one provided but for my copy the DS file is kept on the cd. Any help would be apreciated.

Post Mon Oct 15, 2001 7:24 am
Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

It sounds like you probably don't have enough free conventional memory. You should try booting up in DOS mode (not just opening a DOS window), and see how much free memory you have. Type mem at the dos prompt, and it should tell you at the bottom what your "Largest executable program size" is. I think this needs to be at least 580k.

If you don't have enough conventional memory, you can search the web and find lots of information on how to free some up. If you want, I can post what my config.sys and autoexec.bat files look like, but I can't promise they're the most efficient, especially for Windows. I just messed around with them until I got the game to work. Good luck.
Post Wed Oct 17, 2001 3:23 pm
Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Oh, another thing. I don't think you need the CD to play Wiz 7. I have a couple of CD versions too, but you should be able to just copy all the files from the CD to the hard drive.

I don't think you'll need the Pentium patch. At least I didn't and I have it running on a Pentium 133, and a Pentium 2 350. I did have to use MoSlo on the Pentium 2, but the Pentium 133 works fine. The CD versions might already have the patch applied.

[ This Message was edited by: Raldor on 2001-10-17 12:33 ]
Post Wed Oct 17, 2001 3:27 pm
Zhakov
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks, its been driving me barmy for ages now, It used to work but then I upgraded my computer a little and it hasnt worked since, if you could email me your Autoexec.bat and Config.sys it would be helpful. Thanks again.

Post Thu Oct 18, 2001 4:23 am