Possible Bloodmoon/Tribunal conflict
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
StarkeRealm
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

NOT A BRAG, A bug report

I did this, (Played through Bloodmoon and then went back to Tribunal) and I noticed something odd.

I played though the Dark Brotherhood Base in werewolf form. (A lot of fun) Anyway at the end killing the final Dark Brotherhood assassin, (the one without a helmet) caused a crash to desktop, (three times in a row)

I thought it was a glitch due to being a werewolf, so I went outside of the manor and waited for nightfall. Went back in as a human and killed the DB boss with Umbra. This time when I killed him I got his normal greeting repeatedly. It was actualy printing it over and over, covering the dialogue box. I couldn't leave the conversation, selecting a conversation topic would get the response but it would quickly get pushed to the top, and replaced with his greeting. If anyone else has encountered this problem let me know.

Thanks

And no I wasn't useing any plugins.
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:50 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

split into its own thread...
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:57 pm
StarkeRealm
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I Have a Theory...

I did some digging in the construction set, since the post. If I understand the scripting syntax and the dialogue behavior properly, Bloodmoon rearages the greatings (specifically "greating 1") for the assassin in question "dandras vules". If I'm reading this right the assassin has a sript that kicks in when he dies that, first resurects him and sets a "deathbed" variable to 1, second displays a greating keyed on "deathbed"=1, something about telling his employer that he failed with a red goodbye, and finaly kills him.
In tribunal his greating 1 table looked something like this:
1) if a given flag was set (you have failed an oath of silence) and there was a comment to keep this response at the top
2) if the deathbed flag was set (his dieing words) and a red "goodbye"
3) flaged on invisiblity ("who's there")
4) no testing of flags or other checking (a villan cleshe)
(3 and 4 may have been the other way around)

In bloodmoon it's arraged 1, 4, 2 on the previous list.

So if I understand the scripting language in bloodmoon the game will, set the death bed flag to 1, and then start searching the greatings, 1 isn't aplicable, but the next one will always apply, since it has no conditions. And since the script loops, it will endlessly print the villan line. And never the deathbed line.

The scripting languge that Morrowind uses is simalar to Visual Basic, so I'm guessing that the same selection/looping structure is used. If someone out there has more familarity with the morrowind sripting languge would like to weigh in please do.

Still have no idea why a forced dialog box would cause a crash to desktop in werewolf form.
(Note: I was using Hircine's Ring, but It shouldn't make a diffrence)
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:49 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

It is a confirmed bug, beside few others when using Bloodmoon together with Tribunal.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:17 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, there's expected to be a patch soon. Until then, I offer my sympathies!

It looks like for now Bloodmoon is better experienced *after* playing through Tribunal in full. I guess they didn't test doing them in the other order too much, as the assumption is that people played through Tribunal and have been sitting around waiting for Bloodmoon. I wonder how the X-Box GotY edition will fare...
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:59 pm
StarkeRealm
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks

Thanks for the responces
I should have noticed that forced dialogue boxes would cause a problem with werewolves, note that all of the deadric villian's dialogue was in the engine rather than in the dialogue boxes that every one else uses, (except the major deadric characters) and that the rest of Bloodmoon has coding to prevent a werewolf from getting a forced dialogue box. I Just wish that they'd playtested Tribunal the way they did Morrowind with Bloodmoon.

Anyrate thanks again.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:28 pm
mOoNiE
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Here's how I managed to get by this flooding situation :

1. Kill the Boss
2. The flooding dialogue box will appear. Goto console, and turn off toggle scripts (type "togglescripts").
3. get the document off his corpse.
4. Exit the area (he respawns with toggle scripts off), and turn togglescripts back on in console (type "togglescripts" again)
5. Save and re-load. You will recieve a journal update entry after you re-load the game, and you can continue the quest.

Hope this helps GL

Edit : BTW I wasn't a warewolf, or vampire and it happened to me.
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:30 pm
StarkeRealm
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks

I'll have to remember those console commands. Also the patch should fix this. I've been a bit out of touch recently.

Thanks again.
Post Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:29 pm