Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Is an MMORPG like shadowbane worth buying if you have a 56k?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
IronDragon14
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Is an MMORPG like shadowbane worth buying if you have a 56k?

I have dial up internet that is about 56k but i really want to play an MMORPG, but if it will run very slow if not at all then i wont buy one, can anyone help me? Is there any MMORPG's that WOULD run on a slow internet connection?
Soldier after D-Day
Post Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:23 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I played Asherons Call on a 56k modem, and it lagged a little but it wasnt so bad. I hear you can play any non-PvP game without repurcussions, but i dont recommend playing a PvP-centric game like Shadowbane with 56k because you would have a major disadvantage.
Post Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:56 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

I'll echo Ammon's thoughts here, but I'll add my own little bit of warning: last time I checked, and as far as I can read in most recent reports about the game, SB lags badly when on a cable connection I'd hate to think how it would actually gobble up your bandwidth on a 56k When I was playing it (back in June) it lagged pretty bad anyway.

EDIT:
It just occured to me that you might not just want to know about SB. If you want a recommendation, you could go with Dark Age of Camelot. As far as I know it's pretty 56k-friendly
Post Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:35 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Yeah, Ekims right. Dark Age of Camelot is better than Shadowbane anyway, especially the RvR (realm versus realm) combat with other players. Its pretty darn fun. But i have to warn you that it takes a long while to reach the RvR because you basically have to be > level 45 to make any difference. Also you might want to consider an older game like Asherons Call, Ultima Online, or Everquest. They can all be played with a 56k modem and they also have TONS of content after years and years of content addition via patches as well as expansions. There's even Everquest Gold which contains all of the Everquest expansions for a reasonable price. Also there will be upcoming games as well. In the near future there will be Everquest2 and Horizons, which as far as i can tell can both be played on 54k.
Post Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:08 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Shadowbane, so much potential, so much incompetence

Actually, i might buy it if it ever gets released in europe in true. Of course it wont, atleast in the near future cos its so sucky they need to fix it before re-release. They just need few years to learn how to do it. Maybe go back to university bench? Well see if sb survives that long.
Post Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:25 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Well i doubt Shadowbane is going to survive after Darkfall Online, Dragon Empires, and Trials of Ascension are released. Especially Darkfall. I just hope that we arent disappointed by those games as well. Shadowbane was a tremendous disappointment to me.
Post Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:42 am
IronDragon14
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

thanks for your help i think im gonna go with dark age of camelot
Soldier after D-Day
Post Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:45 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Have a great time!
Post Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:40 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

DAoC is a good bet, you can always turn the options down or even off to help with a slower PC. And you can make a difference starting even at level 15, thats when you can enter RvR combat, but you're a usless slub at that level, so they divide it into Battlegrounds. 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, and 30-35, and while in those levels and the approprate BG, it is quite fun. Though in those BGs you might not make the biggest impact on the state of your Realm, you do matter a little, AND you can gain Realm skill points which you can use to train in Realm abilities which are good, cause the help you kick even more ass in PvE. With my 40 hunter before I did any RvR I had trouble taking out a blue. Now at Realm rank 3L2 I can easily take out consecutive yellows.

I'm not going to say SB was a dissapointment, but it could have been alot better. It did however leave you with more open PvP than I've seen in the recent past. But everything else was a joke. Including the graphics.
Post Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:15 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

You know another thing that erk'd me about SB was the point and click to make your character move. That is a great way to take the immersion factor out of a game. Then with the crappy camera controls you point and click to move was made even more difficult.
Post Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:25 pm