Movement 'lag'
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
TMG_Momaw
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Movement 'lag'

I just got and installed G2 on Friday... Ran into this problem almost instantly.

What happens is, on some interior areas, my character's movement 'lags'. This word is very carefully chosen. The world is still moving at the proper speed and frame rate. Including enemies, which are hacking me up while I lag. What happens is something almost identical to network lag; my character starts shivering in place, or moving forward in slow motion despite animating a full speed run, or sometimes even skating backward.

As stated, this has only happened /INDOORS/, and the game itself is /STILL RUNNING NORMALLY/.

Usually this problem is very limited in size. I'll be trying to pass through a small tunnel/archway, or passing a lantern when it starts this lagging. Once past the strange area, gameplay resumes normally.

System:
Shuttle AN35N-U motherboard (nforce2-ultra chipset)
AMD XP2500/333
2* 256Mb 333mhz Crucial memory (best they made at the time, 5-2-2)
Sapphire radeon 9800
SB Live platinum
3com hardware-type telephone modem
WD Special edition 80gb hard disk
Pioneer 16x dvd-rom (G2 is running from this drive)
Plextor 24/10/12 CD-ROM/RW/R
Windows 2000 with sp4 and DirectX 9

For G2 settings, I had to turn off cloud shadows, click texture and model detail down 1 notch, and bring in the visual distance to 100% to get it to run well at 1024x768x32. I'm using the G1 control method (I'm happy for everybody that likes the G2 method, but I'm one of those rare people who think G1's system was perfectly fine).

Help!
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:08 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there TMG_Momaw,

Welcome to the forums, sorry to hear about your problem, it's surely a graphics video card problem but your card should be o.k.

Assuming you have the latest video drivers as well as the latest n-force drivers, there may be a patch/update but i would have to check. Maybe others on the forums could help, i'll come back if i find some info'.

Have you checked out your motherboard's web site for latest info?
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:05 pm
Drake14
Brigadier General

like i say to all gamers having technical problems, check to see if you have at least 1 gig left over on the hard drive, if not, have at least a little under 1 gig.
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:25 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey TMG_Momaw,

Just a quick "also", if you see "dual channell memory enabled" at the post screen, that should be good because you need both sticks to be the same latencies, try "Memcheck" to see if they are identical?

Thought you might have a browse here for similar prob, - -:-

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=40&sid=aa8eb8766a6efacc325da845a62d3d0b

Good luck
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:26 pm
garth0815
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi TMG_Momaw!

I had the same problem. I fixed it by turning off my TV-Out (switching from "Clone" to "Single Display" in the display preferences).

I've got a NVidia Card, but maybe it works with yours, too.

cu

Garth
Post Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:15 pm
TMG_Momaw
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Same problem. Never resolved. I never completed Gothic 2 the first time due to frustration, taking another try.

Same machine mostly as in the first message. I've made some minor changes:

- increasing the CPU's multiplier by 0.5x
- removing SB live card in favor of onboard nforce2 audio

Drivers are fairly new. Catalyst 4.09 I think. DirectX 9.0c. I can't imagine that the drivers are still the problem, seeing as this exact problem was occouring months ago.

Very specific examples of where the "lag effect" occours:

1. In Xardas' tower, on the circular stairs.
2. In the cave of the bandits on the from Xardas' tower into the town, going from the first chamber into the tunnel but before the turn into the second chamber.
3. At the farmhouse outside of town, entering the front door and trying to approach the woman at the stove, as I pass between the chair and the wall.

Insanely frustrating. Hopefully by NOW somebody's figured out what causes this.
Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:03 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I donŽt have much hope weŽll find out the reason for the lag.
Maybe you can ease the problem by switching on the god mode early enough. This takes only 10 seconds per toggle.
Post Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:20 pm
druidvideo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Fixing lag

I am in Chapter 6 and have been playing happily with my GF 6800GT (16XAS-8XFSAA ) and loaded up today and noticed when I ran into different areas that the frame crawled. I read this thread and remembered I enabled Cloning to TV out yesterday to SHowoff HL2 on the TV. I disabled it (ie Single screen) and it sorted it right out.

I am so close to finishing this game I can smell it...... have to go.... undead to smack!

Hope this thread helps
Post Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:18 pm