Hey I'm a wizardry 8 newbie
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hey I'm a wizardry 8 newbie

For some reason I never played Wizardry 8 until now even though I really like rpgs.

So far its pretty amazing. My crew is only level 8 though.

In many ways it exceeds all the 3d rpgs made since.
One area where its lacking though is in the animations of the npcs/monsters.

I dont understand why all the 3d rpgs in the last year exept perhaps dungeon seige abandoned the 3d party type game.

I hope there is another one made.
Post Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:07 am
otter
One of Us

Welcome!!!
I think the developers prefer single-character games simply because it's much more efficient for the engine to have to keep track of only one, leaving more "space" for a more intricate audio-visual environment. Too bad, it seems like everything new is single-char, and with a rather small scope of classes.
Post Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:57 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Yes,welcome: Wizardry 8 is one of the truely rare gems in the party based games in 1.st person view. If they would make and extension even with the same graphic motor I would buy it without hesitation, It's the gameplay that realy is immersive and challenging. I hope somehow the old "sir-tech" crew gets a new job with a new developer with more money behind them, and make a sequel to this game.
Well anyway you can look forward to far more than 100+ hours of gameplay you lucky soul with an excellent RPG game.
Post Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:37 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well its a great deal like might and magic 7-9 but much better. For some reason when it was new I thought it was too much like might and magic 9 which I thought was poor and about 5 years out of date with graphics.

One side note, I believe Wizardry 8 takes the prize for having the largest sound files in any game ive ever seen. Something like 600 mb.
Post Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:41 pm
Scott
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Personally, I dislike 3rd person RPG's. Multiplayer, fine, but in my single player game? No thanks, too Tomb Raider for me. I feel MUCH more immersed (is that a word?) when I can see things as if thru the main character's eyes. I want to see myself swing, as if I were holding the weapon. I dont want to play a single player game, only to watch what looks like someone elses character doing everything for me. Sorta like BG or Icewind Dale. Great games, but I never became attached to any ONE character more than any other. Same with Dungeon Siege, I think the game would have been MUCH better if it was playable in first person view. None of this Diablo-esque "3D" stuff. Its still a 2D view no matter how you slice it Lol.

Keep the old school thinking going. 3rd person view is for games like Diablo, Baldur's Gate, Tomb Raider and for Consoles, not the PC!

Can you imagine what Morrowind would be like in 3rd person mode?
YUCK!

Anyway, enjoy Wizardry 8. The game is awesome. Being a long time Wizardry fan, I thought 7 was still the best (and still looks pretty good). But 8 is a close second in my book
Post Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:37 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by the mighty stamar
Well its a great deal like might and magic 7-9 but much better. For some reason when it was new I thought it was too much like might and magic 9 which I thought was poor and about 5 years out of date with graphics.
MM9 was a disgrace to one of the greatest RPG series ever. MM3 thru MM8 were all wonderful to play. They weren't pretty (even in their day), but they were flat out fun to play. I agree with you that Wiz8 fit into that mold quite well. Pity that both of these franchises seem to be dead.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:25 pm
Archaven
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Another might and magic fan hops into the wizardry series? heya! I am a newbie too .

Welcome onboard.
Post Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:50 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Welcome Stamar! Those of us who haunt this forum are all hardcover lovers of Wiz8. I know it lived up to my hopes and expectations.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:57 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
quote:
Originally posted by the mighty stamar
MM9 was a disgrace to one of the greatest RPG series ever. MM3 thru MM8 were all wonderful to play. They weren't pretty (even in their day), but they were flat out fun to play. I agree with you that Wiz8 fit into that mold quite well. Pity that both of these franchises seem to be dead.

I didnt play 8 or 9 just the demos. MM7 I did play but didnt quite finish ( this was so long ago I hope im not confusing it with something else. There was a wasp castle at the end) and I enjoyed it. However 8 and 9 were exactly the same game with levels changed by an editor. What a rip. mm 9 was using a lets say quake 1 engine in the quake 3 days or something like that... and when i saw the demo for wiz 8 it looked really bad for some reason I even thought it was the same game although I was mistaken.
I noticed homm 4 was about the worst game I ever played also and I cant imagine why they are making an expansion for it or who would play it. The game did not function the AI moved around randomly and did not build.
I dont follow it closely but I would bet that the programmers quit in the middle of those projects or something...

Anyhow none of those games are as cool as wizardry 8. I am especially impressed with the textures like the bank floors and the marble.
In some ways it is like arx fatalis a game i played recently, only in the little puzzles and in the huge amount of sound bites.

I really dig the voice acting also.

And I ran into the ascenion peak bug already and was about to ask for help but i found the patch.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:44 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

scot, you can switch the view in morrowind to 3rd person, in fact you need to to complete some of the mazes:
and you can switch the view in neverwinter nights to first person ( with a mod)

So in order to prevent confusion I just call all of these games that came out in the last year '3d' games, based on some sort of doom type 3d engine. The other rpgs are isometric type like icewind dale 2 or divine divinity which use sprites.

Wizardry 8 and might and magic 7-9 do something a little different though, they kind of symbolize several characters into what is really one character if you follow.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:55 am
Archaven
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
I didnt play 8 or 9 just the demos. MM7 I did play but didnt quite finish ( this was so long ago I hope im not confusing it with something else. There was a wasp castle at the end) and I enjoyed it. However 8 and 9 were exactly the same game with levels changed by an editor. What a rip. mm 9 was using a lets say quake 1 engine in the quake 3 days or something like that... and when i saw the demo for wiz 8 it looked really bad for some reason I even thought it was the same game although I was mistaken.

Wasp castle? Was that Celeste, the floating castle in the heaven? My favourites in all MM games were MM7,6 and 3.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:04 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Pretty sure the wasp nest was in MM8.

MM7 is my favorite game of all time, although Wiz8 might just take that spot over time.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:09 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:

MM7 is my favorite game of all time, although Wiz8 might just take that spot over time.

<GASP> Oh NO! Say it ain't so!!
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:22 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
quote:

<GASP> Oh NO! Say it ain't so!!
Well, I have more wins in MM7 (4 vs 3), but I have more total time invested in Wiz8. Really, the only thing keeping MM7 on top is longevity. If, a year from now, I get the urge dig out the cds and get win #4 in Wiz8, that will probably be enough to steal the crown.

OTOH, multiplayer NWN has been incredibly thrilling. Not sure whether that's the game itself or the people I'm playing with or just the experience of "losing my MP cherry", but I certainly never got this excited about gaming when I was slogging thru MW...
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:33 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Risking local wrath by dragging this slightly off topic,

@dteowner - It is *all* the group you play with. NWN is a pretty good, slick polished system, but what makes it is the interaction of the players and the DM ... oh yeah a good module doesn't hurt either

I am glad you are having fun with it ... I wish I could join in <grimace>.

But now that you've done both MP and SP, which of the two NWW modes do you prefer?
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:42 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next