AC, tumble & dexterity ?'s
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

AC, tumble & dexterity ?'s

okay, a simple question. how does dexterity affect AC, or does it? also, i understand that for every 5 levels taken in the tumble skill there is a bonus applied to AC--what is this bonus? how does it work? is it simply that characters receive a +1 to AC for every five levels of tumble?
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:46 am
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

The dexterity bonus (that little number to its right in the char sheet) is added to the AC. If you're caught flatfooted (and don't have a feat such as uncanny dodge), that bonus is ignored. Tumble adds +1 AC to your char every five ranks; I think it's a dodge bonus. If it is really a dodge bonus (I'm not sure), it does stack with the dodge bonus of other items. For example, if you have +2 AC because of 10 ranks of tumble, it will stack with a +2 AC dodge bonus of Boots of Hardiness, for example, for a total of +4 AC (of course, an item dodge bonus don't stack with other items' dodge bonus)
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:06 am
lestat14
Tremere Vampire

for every 5 levels in tumble it adds one point directly to your ac.....comes in handy for a rogue who can't wear the heavier armors....
Lestat
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:11 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

thanks, that was how i thought it worked. as for the stacking AC bonuses, doesn't that simply translate into only using one item with an AC bonus. so, for example if you had a tumble of 5 (+1 AC), a dexterity bonus of +3 AC and some item that gave you a +2 bonus your total AC bonus would be +6, right? however, if you also added another item with a bonus of +2 your AC would remain +6 because they don't stack. but, if you swapped your +2 item for a +4 item it would increase your AC to +8. is that how it works?
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:19 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Most of the time, yes.

Dodge bonuses stack but they're the exception.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:47 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

You can have more than 1 magic armor item working at once. Notice the different types of armor boost in the descriptions? (AC deflection bonus, AC dodge bonus, AC defense bonus) Items with the same category of bonus will not stack (actually, the deflection category might be the only one that won't stack), but others will. So, for example, boots of hardiness +4 (+4 dodge) will stack with a cloak of protection +2 (+2 deflection).
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:57 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

okay, thanks that makes sense.
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:43 pm