21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 23

Author Thread
Finarfin
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

MOON - has anyone been there!

i was having a debate with a friend of mine about some of the conflicts of the world that are based on land or countries, and we came to the conclusion that your opinion on whether a country should own this or that piece of land is based on how far back you should go to determine the "rightful" owners of that land, the reason we disagreed we mainly becuase we loooked at the situations with different time frames.

so i was wondering how far back you think people should go to determine the rightful owners of land?

i know there are other issues that have a baring but for now i'm not interested those

EDIT: Oh and if you would like to talk about the moon landings, then be my guest!

Last edited by Finarfin on Fri May 23, 2003 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue May 20, 2003 3:44 pm
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

It's very varying, both sides do naturally want to go back to different times, but I think that the less you go back the more important it is.

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Tue May 20, 2003 3:53 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

You shouldn't go back at all.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Tue May 20, 2003 4:59 pm
Finarfin
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

so if norway is invaded by britain, and last month it was norwegan, but today it is british, we shouldn't go back, Hmmm sorry i can't agree to that, i don't believe in De Facto government (well i believe it exists obviously, but not that it is right)
Post Tue May 20, 2003 5:09 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

I agree with DzD. Right or wrong I believe it is simply human nature, that which belongs to someone belongs to the one who holds it.
Post Tue May 20, 2003 5:15 pm
Finarfin
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

quote:
I agree with DzD. Right or wrong I believe it is simply human nature, that which belongs to someone belongs to the one who holds it.

which means that if you CAN take it, you have a right to do so, in fact even if you can't take it, you have a right to try, therefore all wars, invasions etc etc are right.

Hmmmm frankly i think that is rubbish
Post Tue May 20, 2003 5:20 pm
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

I didn’t say it was right, I said it is human nature.
Post Tue May 20, 2003 5:30 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

oh well that's easy, the last treaty declaring who has ownership of that country, if there is none, then it belongs to the native people doesn't it?

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Tue May 20, 2003 5:53 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Well, remember the austrian empire? They had a huge collapse when the different cultures revolted. So I was thinking more of the lines of that. That every culture and language should have their own country, and not be ruled by another country that isn't the same religion or have the same language, That is of course unless that part of the world wants to be ruled by another country.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Tue May 20, 2003 5:58 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

I thought it was the assassination of Franz Ferdinand (which thecnically caused ww1)

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Tue May 20, 2003 6:12 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Finarfin
Then evidently you weren't asking an honest question with your original post. You were fishing for someone to conveniently support your opinion (whatever it may be, as you have omitted that info) so you could win your argument. Sorry if we couldn't oblige.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue May 20, 2003 10:56 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

things like this are why i try to stay away from politics

but I think that if a group of people or a country can take another group's/country's land and has the means to defend the land and the people on it, then its thiers...

but then again, im just a computer geek, what do i know?

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Tue May 20, 2003 10:57 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I don't think there's an answer to this one. There's very few places in the world where you couldn't look further back in time to find different "owners". In a perfect world (which it obviously isn't) and where possible you'd decide based on the best interests of the majority of the population.

It would be nice to think that every language or culture could have self-governance but it's wishful thinking for a variety of reasons from human-nature to economic. Some countries would splinter into too many groups to be economically viable and the arguments about borders might well be worse than simply forcing a single rule.

Still, there are certainly cases of injustice or where the best interests of the people would be served by separation.
Post Wed May 21, 2003 1:14 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Carry it a step further - evolution. Who says humans have the right to rule the world instead of their predecessors? Virii have been around a lot longer than people, so perhaps we should just given everything to them?

Arguing time frame for something like this is arguing after the fact. You've already decided who you want to win, and you pick a time frame to support your position, not the other way around.

Dividing people by race or religion can lead to equally ludicrous results. Most countries have some diversity in their populus. In many places, such diversity co-exists peacefully. To say that all Polish people, for example, should live together in their own country is equally disingenuous - at some point, and arbitrary decision had to be made to determin who was Polish from someone who wasn't. And what about people who change citizenship or religion?
Post Wed May 21, 2003 5:14 am
Finarfin
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Finarfin

Then evidently you weren't asking an honest question with your original post. You were fishing for someone to conveniently support your opinion (whatever it may be, as you have omitted that info) so you could win your argument. Sorry if we couldn't oblige.

*sigh*

No I wasn't, it was a perfectly straight forward question, there was no hidden agenda, i'm not asking for people to agree with me, i was trying to get some other peoples opinions from other places in the world (after a debate with my friend about the issue), and likewise i don't have to agree with them, if i think some one is wrong i can say so, i haven't slagged him off or tried belittled him, so i don't really see what your problem is.

PS. thanks for everyone else for posting without predudice
Post Wed May 21, 2003 10:20 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next