Usergroups
A little disappointment for Kotor
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Knights of the Old Republic

Author Thread
eggrock
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I started playing this game a few days ago and I'm having a really tough time getting into it. I had very high expectations since I've heard much about this game being a fantastic RPG. But there are so many BIG things wrong with it that I'm wondering where the opinions come from.

First of all the interface is a poor console port. Being a lefthanded gamer occasionally leaves me in the Twilight Zone; in KotOR I'm definitely there. I like mouselook and the game gives you the option; however, you must hit CTRL to bring the cursor up to select anything. Not happening when your right hand is on the numpad; the reach is too much.

Next, the excessive clicking involved. Click up to 3 times to open a door or chest. Hmmmm. Dead enemies showing target reticles (eg 'click to select/open') sometimes when they are not selectable. A few other odds and ends. Inventory management is tedious, equipping is tedious...

So the interface is not quite up to par. I can live with it--I just came from playing Gothic after all. Not a huge problem.

But on to the gameplay. I don't know what the largest issue is, I'll start with some known annoyances and move up.

- cutscenes - Specifically, enforced cutscenes that you cannot fast forward through. This ties in with another annoyance of having enemies position themselves near your character and then forcing you into combat once the conversation is over. And *that* ties in with a major issue I have with the game: melee combat.

20,000 years of technological advances and I get... Short and long swords. No, not ordinary swords but uberslicers capable of hacking through security door, droids (evidently fashioned from old school aluminum) and even able to block lightsabers! Conveniently explained away of course but I do find myself checking my 'six' for the inevitable Umber Hulk.

More to the point, the game heavily favors melee. Which I suppose is okay if you plan on disregarding every other feat and playing a soldier-type each time. I'd started out with a Scoundrel because I like the Han Solo type. Luke is just too whiny for my tastes. (Ah the irony of this post... ) I can totally see lightsabers being more powerful than a blaster... but a sword? Whatever.

The skills are basically useless outside of whatever this game wants me to take. The benefits of a rogue-type character are high skill points. In NWN they made a huge difference (esp. trap setting & disarming). In KotOR I'm not sure yet but most don't seem useful.

Example: I just made it to the Sith base on the first planet (as a soldier this time). The receptionist threatened to raise the alarm. Hey, fire it up. I've got this bad*** tomato slicer so bring 'em on. I chose a persuade option, knowing I had zero points in the skill. Did she ring an alarm? No, I got an additional dialogue option that allowed me to threaten her. She promptly threw in the towel and left, conveniently leaving me with unrestricted access to the receptionist computer, which even more conveniently had full access to all base cameras and security functions. A few spikes with the droid and I heard people dying everywhere.

I'm left with the impression that the Sith, who are conquering everything in sight, have become a tad lax with their security efforts.

Gameplay in general is easy. I was really looking forward to the swoop race and expected at least a little bit of a challenge. Kind of like the race in Freelancer to be exact. A little cheating and something complex enough to keep you on your toes (if not overly difficult). Instead I get a 'puzzle' with a huge minimum time to beat (like 38 seconds) and all I have to do is go faster on the second run than I did on the first. Hmmmm. At least the game forced my two companions to disappear after the race and projected me (after the obligatory cutscene) into battle with--I forget the Jedi's name, I'll just call her 'Lady Aribeth' for now. In no way, shape or form do I expect her impetuousness to lead her anywhere near the dark side like in NWN. I *do*, however, expect her to "looks uncomfortable, perhaps you shoud speak to her", or else get in a heated debate with Carth. Perhaps both and I can be pleasantly suprised.

Seriously folks, this is just as much a kid's game exploiting the Star Wars name as Jar Jar is. I'm trying to give this game a real chance because I like Star Wars and love RPGs. It's tough, the game feels so dumbed down and adjusting enemies' hit points and damage is not going to fix anything.

"Are you sure you want to buy that, it cost more than 350 credits?" Wha--?

The world is bland and almost 2d in the case of being able to run/jump/climb over obstacles the height of your shoes. The dialogue feels contrived and uninspired and I haven't met anyone I really like yet--except the Wookie because he says little. And the droid I guess.

I imagine having a lightsaber will be cool, I'm looking forward to that. Plus I like playing Pazaak (sp?) because I like little mind puzzles like that. Good stuff. I really don't get the hype behind this game though. Is it just being in the Star Wars universe that makes it so enjoyable? I can watch the movies again if I want that.

Sorry to be so ranty but I'm sincerely bummed out on this game. I'm going to keep playing though because I am enjoying myself in spots and I'm sure the story will pick up once I leave this POS planet I'm on (see? The Sith have me mad at them already. ) I'm trying, I am...
Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:17 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Yes, the interface sucks. It´s easy to understand but incredibly slow and uncomfortable. It does the one thing I absolutely hate in a game: it wastes my time!

KotOR gets much better when you´ve got your first light saber. The start is too slow. They should have just skipped it. Starting in the jedi academy would have been more elegant.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:26 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2