Important for RPG games...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Important for RPG games...

What do you think is important in an RPG games?
Or a game in general?

I think the graphics is pretty important, well, it can be in 3d or in 2d, just that its well made. Same with the animations, i also thinks the music in RPG games is important, and the ability to create your own character, and of course, the game play and story....
Post Sun May 05, 2002 1:19 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

If game (RPG) should be very good, there are many things that must be very good in it.
I mean it is really individual, but ussually if one thing is really bad, it doesnt matter that other are perfect. This game is not very good.
Some people ofcourse will not agree with me, but if fun, gameplay, music, cotrols,... will be perfect, but graphic will be really ugly, this game is not good. If game has perfect graphic, story, gameplay, but has controls that noone can learn, this game will not become famous.
There are ofcourse minor characteristics that are not so important but can support overall impression from certain game. For example music (you can turn it off), intro (you can skip it), good manual (well, if that game is not really difficult, you can live without it), nice box...
Post Sun May 05, 2002 6:34 am
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

I think like you Danicek.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Sun May 05, 2002 11:56 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I think the graphics are important but not necessarily vital. Music isn't important at all, I always turn it off. I hate the in-game music, it becomes so monotonuos after a while.

1. Tolerable bugs. I don't think any RPG can be great if it has any big show stopping bugs--no matter what work around you discover.

2. Great gameplay. Not necessarily a story, just lots of fun stuff. I hate getting into dull sections.

3. Viewpoint. For me this is kind of a biggie--I almost never like the top down isometric view. I prefer third person, failing that, I go for first person next.

4. Graphics. I love the pretty graphics but lately I've been catching up on older games so I've discovered that they aren't that vital.

5. Replay. If you want to play it again, after you know all the secrets, then it must be great!
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Sun May 05, 2002 2:30 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

For me, and I know I'm not everyone, (think of the food I'd have to buy!) the most important thing is immersiveness. I want to lose myself into the game and be able to forget everything else going on and feel like I'm Hero X (or AntiHero X). This usually comes from a combination of the things mentioned above, but generally does not require all of them. For instance, one of my favorite CRPGs was Ultima 4. Even at its time the graphics weren't that spectacular, but the other abilities of the game more than made up for it. Another example is Dungeon Siege-- it looked great but did not have the most complex gameplay; nonetheless, it still was very immersive (for me) and I quite enjoyed it. I only imagine with increasing technology towards Virtual Reality, CRPGs will only get better.

-vaticide
Post Sun May 05, 2002 3:27 pm
Gothmog
Village Leader
Village Leader

I think it's important to form a bond with your character(s). Without this no matter how good a game looks or sounds it will eventually become an intelectual exercise a bit like completing a crossword puzzle.Satisfying but not involving.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 6:12 pm
Moonslash
Celestial Guardian
Celestial Guardian

I think the look of the hero sometimes makes a little influence too. Some people won't play the game if the character is not cool enough.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 6:57 pm
Nazgul
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I could care less about music. I never notice it.

Graphics arent to important either. I mean, if they are great, that just makes the game that much better. But most of the time i wont be to picky on graphics.

Storyline. I love doing quests. Its fun doing something other than hacking away at monsters.

Replay value. I agree with Gig on this. If you want to play it again after knowing all the secrets, its gotta be a great game.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:35 am
Rymes

exploration

For me, the most important aspect of a good RPG is Exploration and Interaction. I like huge virtual worlds where I can from the very begining go whereever I like. I want to be able to choose a direction and head that way for miles knowing that I'll enocunter unique places. A rpg where I can become lost is a good rpg. Unfortunately this trait is rare in rpgs nowdays. Morrowind and Ultima 7 are examples of good exploration games.

-Rymes
Post Fri May 17, 2002 8:12 pm

dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Character growth. Be it skills or levels or whatever, I really like to feel like my character/party is continually (or at least regularly) improving. The feeling of taking a crew that struggles to step on an ant and turning them into a force that changes the world (guess that implies some sort of story, eh?) cannot be topped. At least in a gaming sense....
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Fri May 17, 2002 8:46 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

yaaa dtowner's idea, but there better not be any stat caps, and also a great story... decent grapics... MUSIC... and the option to play with A friend or two... not ANY more than that... cuz sometimes... i just get lonely... and the only way to remedy that would be an RPG with npcs that say something different EVERY time you talk to them, and you can talk to them about a lot... and thats hard to do... so i get some of my roleplaying buddies and we roleplay and its kinda like the awesome roleplay forums.... cept with the comp. as dm

Don't you feel better now?
Post Fri May 17, 2002 9:23 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I agree with most all of the prior statements, and would like to add one. If combat is going to be major portion of the game (as it is for most) it should:

1. Remain challenging (even if only by increasing numbers).
2. Allow for different styles, and allow for them to succede. Legolas, Gimli, and Gandalf can all take out large numbers of enemies, but the styles are *very* different (sorry for using LoTR chars here, but at least every on knows them I was going to use Elric, Conan and Inago Montoya).
3. Allow for different styles to FAIL. If I am playing an archer and frontal charge a group of badies (ala Dungeon Siege (Jaz - I got the demo)) I should *not* live! Especially not by pumping arrows into them at PB range.

I guess 2 and 3 go to emersion and believability.
Post Mon May 20, 2002 4:32 pm
Rado
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What about that ?

What do You think about idea of online environment more than game as such, without AI enemies and with entire game world controled by players ? Fighting fractions, trade, mobs... To You think it can work ?
Post Tue May 21, 2002 9:13 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Absolutely not. People get hurt feelings when something bad happens to their character. Making the entire world player vs player with no computer controlled foes or factions is asking for a lot of griefing.

There's a Highlander MMORPG coming out with some awesome, awesome graphics... but damn. There may be only one, and the game says so. Griefing will be the law of the day.

I'd get it if the character skin/model customizer was independant of the game, though. That thing is gorgeous.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue May 21, 2002 1:09 pm
Rado
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well- it is true- but only if game is fight-orientated (like Highlander). If You can get more exp points for stealing copies of documents without being noticed then for a bloody carnage (which -apart from mission failiture can be a reason of serious punishment- think about revards for a head, exclusion or excomunication from your guild/church/cororation)... I want to avoid scheme: buy equipment- go on goblin hunt- lot bodies return- buy equipment...
Post Tue May 21, 2002 1:27 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next