FAQ
Members
Usergroups
getting VERY frustrated
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread

getting VERY frustrated

ok, let me get to the point. Gothic runs beautifully for about 15 minutes then it just locks my machine up for no apparent reason and i have to hit ctrl+alt+del a couple times to reboot. i will give a list of what i am running and maybe some kind person out there could help me.

[b]sony vaio
1.5 GHz pentium 4
GeForce 2 MX400 (64MB)
640 MB RDRAM
Windows ME (unfortunately)
[/b]

the game looks really promising, it half tempts me to playfor about 10 minutes then save and restart my program and load the game again. (kidding) any suggestions would be appreciated or if anyone wants to help needs to know anything else just ask.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 4:53 pm

Elder Dragon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

If you haven't got Gothic 1.08k yet, but are still playing 1.08j, get the patch; it may help.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 7:22 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I had a similar problem before and after patching the game... but mine was a really exceptional problem... I never heard of anybody else who could fix it the same way I did. Still, if all else fails:

I raised VCore voltage in the BIOS by a notch, and the game didn't lock up anymore.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 7:27 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Yes, install the patch.
The only critical components in your machine are the soundcard (you havenīt mentioned it) and the RAM. If you can open your pc without losing warranty you should remove 128MB RAM. Itīs common understanding that all Win95 derivates become unstable with more than 512MB RAM.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 7:30 pm

yes, i already had the patch installed when i made the post, i know i was kind of vague about my situation. i am not sure how to change the VCore but anything is worth a try. so if u could be so kind as to email me step by step how to go about it i would gladly appreciate it. ken_senter@hotmail.com

my sound is SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio. now, i haven't really considered the sound device to be what is causing the problem because it works great for about 15 min. i don't want to give up on this game but i am starting to consider taking it back, so any suggestions at all are welcome.

oh, i also read in an earlier post that someone with a microsoft intellipoint mouse said it was causing problems. i need to know if this is true.

as far as removing the ram, i cannot do that...sonys have RDRAM and they have to be installed in identical pairs. i bought a pair of 256 mb inserts, i can find those but i don't know if the other 128 is integrated into the motherboard or what cause i don't see it when i open the machine.

i'll look forward to the replies. thanks for the help so far
Post Mon May 27, 2002 11:56 pm

hello, it's me again for the last time. i fixed the problem with the lockups. it seemed to be with the SoundMAX digital audio after all. now, it is hard to say if that is absolutely what fixed the problem because i tried soooo many things, it may have even been a combination. so far the game has been worth the trouble of fixing, so if u trying to get the dang thing workin', just keep trying. eventually you will get it
Post Wed May 29, 2002 8:10 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Good to hear. Enjoy the game.
Post Sat Jun 01, 2002 7:00 pm

Unless you have an older model ms intellipoint mouse this is probably not the problem. The original mouse tail (cord) had a flawed connection which could become loose and cause intermitent failures.
Post Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:04 pm

Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

You all seriously need to stop recommending the new patch for anything other than people having gamestart crashes with Radeon 8500's and GeForce 3/4 cards under Windows 98 only.

PB specifically said not to install the patch unless you meet those conditions.
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 2:47 pm
Piotrek
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: getting VERY frustrated

[quote="guest"]ok, let me get to the point. Gothic runs beautifully for about 15 minutes then it just locks my machine up for no apparent reason and i have to hit ctrl+alt+del a couple times to reboot. i will give a list of what i am running and maybe some kind person out there could help me.
quote]

I got the same problem but my Gothic not hangs up but makes RESET !!! And after 10 min of playing.

I played ghotic and made all quests from 1 city and just when i was going to become a mage suddenly all this resets began. I ve changed nothing to my com nor windows. And i dont think its music problem even if i got SB Live, 1.8 Athlon, 256 Ram DDr, Gf4 4200 TI.

I got Polish wersion and its 1.30 so any patches like 1.8h, j or k wont help i think. Unless im mistaken.

Most intersting is that if it was problem with hardware i think problems wieh reset should start from the beginning.

Help Plizz.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:19 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Piotrek,
this thread is about Gothic, not Gothic 2.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:46 pm
Piotrek
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ups Sorry
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:55 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

No problem. You should copy the system infos to your other thread. Which windows do you have?
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:02 pm