Pool of Radiance : Game getting better?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Aelhyn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Pool of Radiance : Game getting better?

Hey Rend,it's good to see you're enjoying the game now! I was really disappointed when POR got awful reviews, and bashed by almost everybody on every board. I knew it was mostly a turn-based dungeon romp, but at least I wanted it to be a good one. From what I've seen until now, the more you play, the more addicted you get. Most people who have played more than a couple of hours are loving it. And since the patches are almost coming out, the game isn't so bad, is it? Let's give give it a chance!
Post Sun Oct 07, 2001 12:08 pm
Jurist
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yeah, I'm also pleased to hear that it gets better. Hopefully when the game (and the public griping frenzy) stabilizes, we'll see a decent game out of this.

I bought it last week from Best Buy, cause it was on sale (got a free 3d edition Players Manual with it also!) and have yet to install it, for fear of all the OS crashing bugs I've been hearing about. Hope the patch comes out soon...
Post Sun Oct 07, 2001 1:46 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Yes, the game tends to draw you in more and more. I still have my complaints about the interface and the rather sparse storyline so far, but I am getting used to that and getting more and more fun out of it...
Post Sun Oct 07, 2001 8:32 pm
Aelhyn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Cool

Be sure to write a good review! Too many people gave up on this game before even trying it. That's pretty sad...
Post Sun Oct 07, 2001 8:57 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Rendelius: My biggest respect, to a man who confes he was wrong on his initial review!
I'm glad you changed your mind, not because I know better, but it may still give the game some hope for me to buy! Others also have written a more positive tip on POR2.
I guess BG2 fans have expected a succession in POR2, and was initial disappointed about POR2 making another focus in gameplay!
Post Mon Oct 08, 2001 8:06 am
Annelid
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

We don't expect POR2 to be another "baldur's gate". But we do expect quality from a POR2 which has been in production for a couple of years.

Post Tue Oct 09, 2001 2:03 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I can't really argue against you Annelid, yet, because I don't have the posibility to buy the game yet. I just cling to all the helpfull posts here, and there are only two things that almost all posts babble about. Installation, Save/restore problems, and a more hack'n slash oriented gameplay than expected.
Regarding Sound, music, Graphics, world layout, combat, character management,NPC's and story there seems to be a little more difference in opinions, but as further some gets in the game the more positive they get.
Missing quality is a matter of opinion but the initial bugs and disappointed graphics(debatable)is not enough for me to turn my back to the game for now, as you said, we have been waiting for the game so long.
Post Tue Oct 09, 2001 9:00 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

The game reached the highest sales numbers in America. Either they don't read RGPdot.com, or are not impressed with the critics mentioned here.
I also read more reviews from gamers, that already have ended the game by extended playing time, and they mostly were a bit sceptical in the beginning, and then most of them really got hooked and ended up giving the game high scores.
The game will reach my country at end of november, and Ubisoft seems to have a plan to release up to patch 1.2 asap to resolve the initial problems. I guess these patches already will be implemented in the game when it reach my country!
I'm going to buy it too!
Post Thu Oct 11, 2001 10:53 am
Annelid
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well some people are hungry for another rpg game. Especially with a classic name of Pool of Radiance and original producer ubisoft.

And besides. It had cool graphics and artwork on the box.

[ This Message was edited by: Annelid on 2001-10-13 01:09 ]
Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 5:59 am
Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

True. I was ready to buy this one without reading any reviews. I picked it up the first time I saw it at Best Buy for $50. It went on sale the next day for $35 with a free 3rd Edition players handbook, so I went back and they gave me my $15 and the handbook.

I loaded it up and was a little disappointed in it, but it's good enough for $35. If they patch it up right, and maybe add the ability to choose your own skills, it will be excellent. I guess making actual game mechanics changes is a long shot though. Either way, I'll play it when they're done patching it.
Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 1:46 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Actually, I don't think they'll change the game mechanics. We will have to live with them as they are. Nevertheless, it still is a nice dungeon hack, nothing more then...

Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 2:02 pm
Annelid
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yes. The game is a pretty good dungeon hack.
Post Sat Oct 13, 2001 2:37 pm