Members
Usergroups
Daggerfall Vs. Morrowind...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Powerslave

Daggerfall Vs. Morrowind...

I have now beaten Morrowind twice, and have yet to beat Daggerfall (after about 10 years of playing it);

My question to you is, which do you prefer? Why? What would you like to see in Morrowind that was in Daggerfall?

Personally, though Morrowind is a lot nicer to look at, Daggerfall is the better overall game. What I miss:

1. Quests, first and fore-most. I like the idea of being able to become the guild master of a certain guild, but not after a single score of quests. What I miss in Daggerfall, are the dungeon crawls (Though sometimes the dungeons were too big) but now, the only real dungeon crawls are tomb raids, small, and boreing. I think each person, who supplies quests, should be a constant supplier; so if you'r bored, you can simply get another quest.

2. Storyline, I found the story really bland and quite boreing. What keeps players comeing back for more is intrigue, Morrowind lacks quite a bit of it. Yippie I am 'The One', I can stop bullets.

3.This has already been mentioned, but a night and day cycle would be nice, Adds realism.

4. This has already been mentioned as well, but the game is too 'Disneyish'. A good analogy: Star Wars: A New Hope(Daggerfall) Vs. Star Wars: The Phantom Menace(Morrowind). 'A New Hope' seemed like a movie that was made for those with a more mature mentality, while 'TPM' was clearly not. I understand they want to reach a wider audience, but please, don't give up taste/story/common sense in order to do so.

5. Armor, I REALLY miss Adamantium armor, I was considering useing the editor to color Steel Armor Black, give it a higher ac, and call it Adamantium.

6. The Character Creation Process. Every time I create a character I dont want to sit through the same damn 'Ahh youre awake, not even last night's storm could wake you...' yadda yadda yadda. Daggerfall was simple; Select province, Select Sex, Select Class, Select Name/Face, Configure Attributes and Skills and Walah! Start the game!

I realize this has turned more into a rant than a question, so please post what you would like to see in Morrowind. Or what you don't Like about Morrowind.
(Posted without a spell checker so if it's an eyesore, I'm sorry.)[/list]
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:09 pm

Greb Jnnayr
Village Leader
Village Leader

Re: Daggerfall Vs. Morrowind...

quote:
Originally posted by Powerslave
I have now beaten Morrowind twice, and have yet to beat Daggerfall (after about 10 years of playing it);

3.This has already been mentioned, but a night and day cycle would be nice, Adds realism.

4. This has already been mentioned as well, but the game is too 'Disneyish'. A good analogy: Star Wars: A New Hope(Daggerfall) Vs. Star Wars: The Phantom Menace(Morrowind). 'A New Hope' seemed like a movie that was made for those with a more mature mentality, while 'TPM' was clearly not. I understand they want to reach a wider audience, but please, don't give up taste/story/common sense in order to do so.

5. Armor, I REALLY miss Adamantium armor, I was considering useing the editor to color Steel Armor Black, give it a higher ac, and call it Adamantium.

6. The Character Creation Process. Every time I create a character I dont want to sit through the same damn 'Ahh youre awake, not even last night's storm could wake you...' yadda yadda yadda. Daggerfall was simple; Select province, Select Sex, Select Class, Select Name/Face, Configure Attributes and Skills and Walah! Start the game!

(Posted without a spell checker so if it's an eyesore, I'm sorry.)[/list]

3- There is a day and night cycle in Morrowind.
4- Can you please specify what you mean by Disneyish
5- I miss that armour also. That would be cool if you were able to make it in the editor.
6- Good news- Some one has a made a plugin that passes through all that. You choose everything you need to choose, then it puts you right in the middle of Seyda Neen.

I to miss the huge dungeon crawls.
I also miss becoming a Werewolf.
I miss the huge cities.
I miss the Horse
I miss owning a ship.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:33 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Hm. Good question. I like Morrowind better for several reasons. First of all, I found the dungeons in Daggerfall way too big and "without system". You always got lost, and once you left them, they changed because they were generated on the fly. Second, I think that Morrowind offers more diversity. I seldom travelled overland in Daggerfall, because it was absoultely useless except from random encounters. Third and most, I think the background in Morrowind is more elaborated, the atmosphere is much denser and - on the contrary to you - I find the main storyline more compelling.

However, I still love Daggerfall, and I would even reinstall it if Windows XP would allow me to play it
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:43 pm
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I have been playing Daggerfall on and off since about 1996. I never actually beat it but it was a wild ride while Morrowind was in development.

I believe Morrowind is a superior game just in terms of feeling like my character has a purpose. I was growing weary of being asked to kill a random monster in a random house

(What kind of monster.... I heard it was a bear/spider/ghost )

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:26 pm
clafrance

Re: Daggerfall Vs. Morrowind...

My girlfriend and I have been playing Daggerfall for the past 3 years, even with Morrowind being added to my addiction list I'm sure I'll still be playing Daggerfall quite frequently.

Another thing to remember when comparing the two..... how long ago was Daggerfall released anyway?
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:54 pm

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I think it was 1996.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:57 pm
3DFanatic
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well, one thing I don't miss is all the crashes that Daggerfall used to give me! I kept applying patches just as quickly as Bethesda released them, but I never got a real stable game. I finally made it through the main quest and 'finished' it - just got into the habit of saving my game every couple of minutes.

I do miss the horse (and cart) but only a little bit. I don't mind walking or running around in MW because it's so fun to look at.

I seem to remember different seasons in DF, though - snow on the buildings and ground, frozen ponds, etc. I don't think that happens in MW(?).

And, like someone else said, I miss having my own boat! Now that would be handy in MW!

On a somewhat related note, I've notice that I can carry around a fishing pole, but I don't seem to be able to use it. Am I missing something? Of course, I might not want to hook a slaughterfish - they have big teeth!

- 3DFanatic
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:24 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

fishing poles are useless right now, but this might change with a mod...
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:27 pm
DreamVoid

Re: Dagger vs Morrow

Well, I played Daggerfall for a long time and Morrow for only a little but from the beginning Morrowind seems like a better game. The obvious graphic advantage of course (I only got Daggerfall in 1999, and it wasn't really spectacualar in the looks department from its release time, it was downright butt-ugly when I got it). But the game is more immersive, to me. Sure, the land isn't as big, but when it came down to it, Daggerfall was one really large land of the same towns/dungeons/quests. Thats the biggest agvantage to morrow, changing quests. I was really tired of walking into huge, random dungeons (where of course I wouldn't ever find the object, I'd use the cheat after getting lost for an hour) just so I got to advance (eventually, after repeasting this process a 5 or six times) to a new level in the fighter guild. Whoopty doo, I can.... do more hunt and kill quests in dungeons that look EXACTLY THE SAME as the last one. Not to say Dagger is a bad game, I loved it. It was overly repetitive though.

Some thigns I wish morrow had was buyable houses, sure I can get a mod and populate the earth with empty houses, but thats not nearly as cool as purchaing one. A horse would be nice, but its not necessay, like in dagger. There was no way I'd walk all the way through daggerfall city. Which reminds me... I always got a horse by buying a cheap open lock scroll, sleeping till night and opening a shop and looting it, and any surrounding armories. That was ridiculous, and its only slightly betting in Morrow. Please, please, somebody make theivery the challenge it should be!

As far as the main stories, I never really got into daggerfall's and Morrow inds seems better executed, but I'm not far enough into the game to know. Daggerfall's though, I never got past the first dungeon crawl. What did I care about some letters buried deep in a dungeon, or some old hag or any of that. I had better things to do, like build a kickass character. So, inevitably, I would wait too long, have time expire on the quwst, and still not care.

Well, there's my 2 cents.
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:55 pm

Mattias Kreku

Comparing the main story in Morrowind to the one in Daggerfall is like comparing water to wine. It took me less than a week to complete Morrowind and I completed it out of pure stubborness. Daggerfall's main story was much longer, much more varied, much more difficult and much more intriguing than Morrowind's. And there were NO small movies played in the main quest in Morrowind either. You never felt you were accomplishing anything until the end. The npc's couldn't care less that you were out there saving the world..

Oh well, maybe a mod (relying on players again) will fix that too, huh?
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:35 pm

Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Nice shot. Not.

This is a screenshot I took after falling through the wall in one of the dungeons. Remind you guys of anything..?
Post Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:51 pm
Timothius
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Err, Mattias, donīt you think your Fatwa against Morrowind gets a little exhausting? At the beginning you mentioned some adequate criticism, that got a little vanished besides all the praise Morrowind earned. But from some point, your whole argumentation seemed to became more and more irrational to me (yes, Morrowind is evil, muwahaha!) Perhaps you put yourself into a circle: the more you ranted about morrowinds downsides, the less you were able to actually enjoy the game, the more you found to rant about, the less... well, got the point? I'm not a psychologist, but that's how your behavior appears to me. Now the game seems like a whole peace of shit to you, because you've lost all objectivity in your opinion on that way.

Oh, maybe a MOD could fix this?

P.S. I tell you a little secret: Gothic is still my favorite CRPG (denser atmosphere!), but Morrowind is second.
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:20 am
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Uhm..

Like I wrote in one of my earlier postings (that Rendelius deleted for some reason): The more I play Morrowind, the more I dislike it. I actually enjoyed the 30 first hours of this game (as you can see if you read my review of the game) because I thought it would pick up pace the further you got into the game. But it was the other way around. I became invincible and the npc's/mobiles you meet in the beginning are the same as the npc's/mobiles you meet in the end. But feel free to analyze my mind! I might save some therapy time and money from it
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:17 am
es3addict
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

what i dont like about morrowind is that tehre is no fast travel you can buy suh as a horse. And second there are NO cities at all. I wanna be walking around a city say Balmora totally immersed in people with random guys trying to pickpocket me or something...........i thought Vivec was supposed to be this huge city but it looked like it was on teh verge of becoming a ghost town well thats my 2 cents
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:49 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Mattias, I didn't delete any of your postings here. This is the right place to continue your vendetta, and I specifically asked you to take it here. I asked Myrthos to delete your (and my) rantings in the morrowind "game commen" section, becuase it wasn't the appropriate place to have them.

So don't get childish, ok?
Post Fri Jun 14, 2002 5:27 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next