JoWooD announces future plans
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

JoWooD announces future plans

German fan page <a href="http://www.jowood-news.de" target="_blank">JoWooD-News</a> was present at JoWooD's extraordinary shareholders' meeting the 19th of December, where also the participation of Koch Media in JoWooD was decided.<BR><BR>JoWooD plans on starting to develop Playstation Portable games, because of the fast growing market, the low production costs and casual gamers as main target. Possible games for the PSP would be Panzer Elite Action, Neighbours from Hell, Pusher, Kao, Legend of Kay and the Skiracing series. JoWooD isn't going into the next generation consoles yet. They've decided to give the next gen console market some time to grow before they entering it.<BR><BR>On this meeting JoWooD also stated its long-term strategy. They intend to shift their priorities towards online business. This includes stronger community work, in-game advertising and increasing online sales.<BR><BR>For future games they are looking into Gothic 4, SpellForce 3, Gothic Episodes, Gothic for consoles and Gothic and Spellforce MMORPG's. All these games were mentioned on a slide labeled "Brand Development" (transl.).<BR><BR>
Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:32 am
slak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Gothic 4? That may be good, although the #4 feels like it's gone alittle far.
Gothic MMO? Please NO! Don't turn something wonderful into crap.
Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:33 am
Kepler
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
JoWooD plans on starting to develop Playstation Portable games, because of the fast growing market, the
quote:
low production costs and casual gamers as main target.

read: becuase they can crank out mediocre drek for the LCD and it will sell like silly putty. Sigh.
Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:56 am

Well I don't think Piranha Bytes would make any Gothic games for portable. I bet it would be farmed out to some other studio that way PB can make the games it wants. If this can keep JoWooD going while why not you don't have to play them
Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:24 pm

Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

What I like about them is they keep making Gothics; one gets finished they start working on the next, it seems. Most companies seem to sit on popular IPs for years before making a sequal, if they ever do. Look what happened to iplay when they started making console games instead of crpgs.

I wish a TB/party game was in their list of games. A gothic setting/environment with good strategic and twitch-frtee tb combat, party creation, and much heavier chardev.
Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:55 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I hope Piranha Bytes does not use JoWood for Gothic 4, if they do I hope Piranha Bytes gets better treatment contract.

Piranha Bytes must have changed they stratagy, I remember them saying Gothic was a 3 game series in their vision from the start.
Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:55 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Acleacius
Piranha Bytes must have changed they stratagy, I remember them saying Gothic was a 3 game series in their vision from the start.

There's a big difference between JoWooD talking at a shareholders' meeting and Piranha Bytes. PB will most likely have nothing to comment for a long time. They are still working on G3 and have other things on their minds.
Post Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:45 am