Usergroups
Badger kicks some Khaak
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Just a quick question. How many of you prefer to play with "bitmaps" on ? ( as opposed to off ! )

Later on in the game, performance can really crawl in some sectors ...like Atreus Clouds. Turning off bitmaps helps me a fair bit ....and actually doesn't look all that shabby either.
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:11 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Haven't looked at my settings to see whether Bitmaps are off or on!! What's the default?

Dhruin, my SPP is in Kingdom End. I want to kill/capture a few Pirates so I can trade with Split and others who don't like me. Should I get a jump drive for the Nova? I only have about 10% steering, I can't handle fast turning ships. I have my mouse sensitivity down to 0. I'll look into a Strafe Drive as well.

Dte, I agree, the Manta is a GREAT vessel, good speed and large cheap cargo space. Much better than the Merc. I've set my Energy sell price at 19, though I often trade manually at 22-23. Unfortunately, every now and then my SPP seems to run out of Crystals!!!!!

When should I go back to the plot?

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:29 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

I might be wrong here guys, but off the top of my head I think that it's actually "Bumpmaps" and the default setting is "On".

At the moment the performance hit for having them on in my case is palatable, but I've no doubt I'll have to ditch them later. I don't think it looks too bad without them.

Don't talk to me about 1.3 Dhruin. I'm a 56k Badger so no way I'm getting it off the net. I'll have to wait for my magazine to carry it on the cover dvd. (hopefully.)

Badger
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:05 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

I have a decent PC so bumpmapping isn't a problem but it's a good thing to switch off if you're struggling for performance. Many players like the look without bumpmapping.

@Corwin, Kingdom End is a great location for a SPP. I haven't noticed any real crystal problems there (it's often a minor issue everywhere, though). Are you using the faster Manta to buy them or the slower Dolphin? Some people claim if you don't set the crystal buy value to exactly 1684 (the Trading Station price) the buyers ignore the Trading Stations due to a bug. I haven't experimented but I do use a value of 1684. The Trading Stations will send out ships to buy the crystals from the Facts even if they pay a higher price so setting the buyers to 1684 seems to work well.

Grab the free Jump drive for your Nova from the storyline or transfer it from another ship for sure. The Nova is a bit slow but you'll probably live in it for a while.

Combat/capturing is a long subject so I'll tackle that in the morning.
Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:31 am
corwin

I do have the 1684 set, but sometimes the trading stations run out of stock!!. I bought another jump drive. I have one in each of my ships. It aids trading. Now I want to hunt a few Pirates and improve my rep. Where do I get 25MW shields?

Post Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:52 pm
Dhruin

The Split make them. The Fact is in Rhonkar's Clouds (far east of the universe) or the Split Equipment Docks - Family Whi (just west of Teladi Gain) or Cho's Defeat (even further east than Rhonkar's Clouds).
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:04 pm
corwin

Thanks, now I have to go and make nice with the Split. They hate me at the moment. Better kill a few annoying Pirates for them I guess. Might pick up some missiles while I'm at it too, I've run out. It's nice to take a break from trading and let my ships do all the work!!

Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:19 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Uh oh. Now that's worrying. Same senario again, I was attacking a Khaak ship for fun and again the program locked up as I blew up.

I don't know if I am taking out this Khaak as he gets me at the same time and the pc can't handle the strain of the double destruction animation. I've definately been blown to smitherines plenty of times before with no lockups... but no Khaak either.

Hmmmmmm

Badger
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:26 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I've had my computer lock up if both ships are destroyed in collision. I think it just might be the game.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:33 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

HA! So I did geddim! Now all I need to do is beef up my weapons and shields to the point where it's no longer a ship exchange. Khaak I shall chase thee around Presidents end and through Herrons Nebula before I give thee up. Bwa Ha Haaaaaaa!

Badger
Post Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:10 pm
corwin

Good Grief, Look at the Monster we've created!!

Post Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:55 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2