35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
91-100
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 14

Author Thread

quote:
Well, I agree with low replayability but it is typical for this type of games and there is simply no way how to avoid it (if you do not change it to other type of game) - well, Diablo 2 difficulty system was nice try that worked for many people.
This should be nothing else that you are complaining about. If they gave us large world (not just one way to go), nonlinear story, many dialogues with NPC, we have nothing else than other Baldurs Gate with better graphics. I was waiting for game like this, not too much thinking, no non-linearity, no long dialogues, no difficult party developement... just go, fight and fight and fight

Yes, a larger game world would make it a BG with better graphics. Personally, I wouldn't mind something like that . But even Diablo II had a realatively expansive plain for you adventure on. No thin, winding pathways between desert cliffs and along mountain ridges. Just a nice sized area with set boundries for you to actually do some exploring in. Presenting some challenge to players is essential even for the most casual of games. But DS dosen't really have this. Some of the floor switches were a nice touch, but other than that, very few obstacles hindered my advancement. In D2, it was fun (for those of us who didn't have maphack) to go trecking around the map to find (or avoid) a certain unique moster or an entrance to a dungeon. It added a slight touch of realism to the game, while in DS your almost 100% garenteed to kill every moster, bust open every crate and go through every dungeon. The impressive textures and dynamic lighting/weather did heighten the real life feel of the game, but I'd much rather have a place where i can actually adventure a little.
Another thing is the death system. In D2, people didn't want to die. No matter what, you lost a certain percentage of xp. At the higher levels, this could negate the many hours you spent leveling. But in DS, death has almost no meaning. Sure, once your dead in single player, its over, but how long do you thing people are going to stay away from the multiplayer. The fact that you could choose from some options of what happens when you die is nice, but there needs to always be some penalty for death, no matter what option you chose. Oh wow, you get to run around and have nothing attack you until you respawn with full inventory. You CAN set it to drop your inventory, but honestly, how many people are going to go prancing around with their uber character on elite difficulty, just to get killed by a pack of nuisance monsters, and have us (being the buzzards that we are) go snatch up their entire inventory. Oh well, they will just hack themselves a whole new set of armor and godly weapon in ten minutes anyways.
I just think that DS needs to have a little more depth, like better quests or more expansive gaming zones or something. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong completely, but this kind of game just isn't really my idea of the beat-all-end-all casual RPG like it was made out to be.[/quote]
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:13 am

Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I think DS is exactly what it was meant to be and exactly what it was advertised to be.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:19 am
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Danicek said:"If you look past the awesome graphics, custom art for almost every weapon, nice character advancement system, and packmules (a definite plus)"

I don't have this game yet. It is released here tomorrow and I am very much looking forward to it, having been following various work in progress reports for ages now. I am not too put off by the mixed oppinions that I am seeing here. It all gives me a better idea of what to expect and an added bonus is that I currently have a gift voucher for my local "Game" store, so I will be getting DS well cheap.

I have to say though that I did have a giggle when I read the above quote. Because I couldn't help but think "If you look past the awesome graphics etc etc etc............. what have the Romans ever done for us?!

I expect most of you are too young to get that... and of course some of you others are not quite british! lol so to all you who are thinking "what is he on about". Please forgive my babling.

All the best

Badger.
Post Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:33 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2