Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Icewind Dale 2.....oh!..and Never Winter Nights.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I can honestly say that I am looking forward to Icewind Dale 2.
I believe it is due pretty soon (April/May time ?)
For me, one of the best parts (in IWD 1) was the character creation. I haven't got as much XP as some of you guys appear to have with the PnP D&D rules and I still have to look up references for class/abilities/etc;
Never Winter should hopefully give us a good RPG fix also.
Games come and go, but my BG/Icewind collection still takes pride of place on my shelf.
I have actually just started IWD again.

I think with IWD2 & NWN, that will be the rest of this year tied up, RPG wise.
I have read about BG online games. Any good ?
Are they worth a look at and what format do they take?
Just a quick off topic.
I bought Warrior Kings last weekend. 3D fantasy(ish) RTS game..very good.
I tend to have 3-4 games on the go at once.
Now its IWD, Warrior Kings, BG2 and Gothic (nearly finished).
Do you guys stick to one game till the end or do you tend to get "saturated" and give it a rest for a few days to come back refreshed?
Time for workies.
All the best for the weekend, you lot. I have a few days off.
My wife goes to dog shows over the weekend, so lots of CRPG time.

Post Thu Mar 14, 2002 8:27 am
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Well, currently I'm playing MM6 and Wizardry 8. I don't have too much time to play games, what with a 1 year old daughter, another baby on the way, and a challenging job. I hope to be able to settle in my old, senile age (when I reach 40) and play all the games I missed. I played the first installment of Icewind Dale, while it certainly was interesting while I was playing it, I didn't find it interesting enough to shell out another 30$ for the add-on. I'm looking forward to Icewind Dale II, especially since it's a step towards 3rd edition D&D.

P.S. you're lucky to get weekends off to play CRPG's, I'm going to find my wife a hobby :wink:

[ This Message was edited by: Maggot on 2002-03-14 07:44 ]
Post Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:43 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I'll play IWD2 someday probably. Maybe when it hits the bargin bins.

Post Thu Mar 14, 2002 5:47 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

[quote]
On 2002-03-14 07:43, Maggot wrote:
Well, currently I'm playing MM6 and Wizardry 8. I don't have too much time to play games, what with a 1 year old daughter, another baby on the way, and a challenging job. I hope to be able to settle in my old, senile age (when I reach 40) and play all the games I missed. I played the first installment of Icewind Dale, while it certainly was interesting while I was playing it, I didn't find it interesting enough to shell out another 30$ for the add-on. I'm looking forward to Icewind Dale II, especially since it's a step towards 3rd edition D&D.

P.S. you're lucky to get weekends off to play CRPG's, I'm going to find my wife a hobby

...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Thu Mar 14, 2002 8:57 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Now that Icewind Dale II ditched the kits in favor of real 3E multiclassing and feats it becomes even more interesting to play.
Gone are racial limitations and you can create just about any character you want.

Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Sun Mar 17, 2002 3:59 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

True. That's definately a hook for me... it's why I was waiting for NWN.

Still... how will they award experience, I wonder? Keep to classic 2nd ed, or go 3rd? 3rd has a problem... a BIG problem... when applied to a computer.

You can hit level 20 in about 3 hours of play with a computer DM and autoscripted battles. Actually, under 3rd ed... playing the first dungeon in BG2 will get you to about level 12 from 1. My group tallied it up. Level 20 is hit by the time you finish the first slaver missions.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Mar 17, 2002 4:09 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:

On 2002-03-14 14:57, Myrthos wrote:
Trust me it doesn't get any better at 40 and even if you get your wife a hobby you still have the kids hanging around and in two years time the oldest will start claiming the PC

I bought my daughter a Dreamcast to use when she's old enough to claim the PC

As a backup plan, I've started playing games at night and using coffee in lieu of sleep.
Post Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:11 am
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:

On 2002-03-17 10:09, EverythingXen wrote:
You can hit level 20 in about 3 hours of play with a computer DM and autoscripted battles. Actually, under 3rd ed... playing the first dungeon in BG2 will get you to about level 12 from 1.

Why is this? Lower xp requirements? Won't they just lower xp for monsters killed?

I'm glad to see that they're keeping the Infinity engine alive and polishing it, I have my doubts about the upcoming NWN engine's out-of-the-box stability and polishedness. A sequel is really a good thing, because it doesn't need as much development money as a seperate title (reusing artwork, code), and people who want more of the same will buy the sequel. It could even draw people to IWD1 while it's still not in a bargain bin (or is it already in one?). All in all, it results in more computer RPG's
Post Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:16 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

3rd ed was meant to be dynamic. One of the common complaints for second ed was that if you could only dedicate one game a month, one four hour block... no matter how many monsters you killed, your character would stop advancing. Level 8 is cool and all... but being it for a year loses its appeal.

In 3rd ed, every 10 balanced fights you advance. They planned it out so that if you play one game a week for four hours and you go combat heavy you make 1 level a month on average. At low levels, you actually can make much more if you have a competent party

My current group and I, who have been gaming together for about 10 years (and individually in other groups often for a decade before that), ran through a completely computer generated dungeon. It was two levels, 30 rooms, 20 encounters. We went in level 2... we came out level 7. It's taken us a month of playing for 3 hours every weekend.

Of course... the first night we went from 2 to 4... the next we went from 4 to 5.5... then 5.5 to 6. Progress slows down to a respectable level as you advance... monsters become more powerful more rapidly than characters do, requiring more tactics and time to defeat, and more resources.

We set out to 'break' the 3rd ed level system... no roleplaying, just fights... like a computer game like Icewind dale. (We have a 'real' roleplay heavy campaign run sometimes during the week where the characters have been level 8 for two months... and it's taken nearly a year to get there.) Looks like, in pen and paper, it's fairly solid...

But a COMPUTER. You know how fast random encounters get blown through in Icewind Dale. Mathematically, 200 well balanced for your party fights will make you level 20.

We'll see what they do...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Mon Mar 18, 2002 5:09 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

The cap is set so that you can at a maximum reach level 30. They do not follow the 3E handbook strictly, they slightly modified things to make it match to both the Infinity Engine and the playability on the PC.
Icewind Dale is of course NOT a 3E game it's a mixture of 3E and 2E and as for kits, they are thinking of turning the pros you got from choosing a kit into feats. So you could have a feat that gives you a bonus in slaying dragons

Post Mon Mar 18, 2002 8:44 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I imagine they'll use the experience tables from second edition. Pick one, like fighter, and run with it likely. It would make sense and not require an overhaul of the entire combat and experience system.

Yes, kits can easily be turned into feats or prestige classes in 3rd edition rules.

Post Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:59 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Nope they use the 3E XP table. So there is only one.
And prestige classes are not in.

[ This Message was edited by: Myrthos on 2002-03-19 16:27 ]
Post Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:20 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

The 3rd ed experience table goes to 200,000 instead of like 3 million. What are they going to do to convert the monsters and experience gained? Drop a 0 off the end of each fight's experience?

Hmm... this could be trouble.

Post Wed Mar 20, 2002 4:41 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

I expressed myself wrong. They are using a single XP table like in 3E. Nothing has been said on what the maximum in that table is though.

Post Wed Mar 20, 2002 9:24 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Ahhh... yes, that's what I was getting at earlier when I said they'd probably just grab a table like 'fighter' from second and use it for all of them. That would be the most logical way to create this hybrid.

Post Wed Mar 20, 2002 2:51 pm