Chapter 6 mania.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Aperama
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Chapter 6 mania.

Hi. I've registered more or less entirely for this, as I'm somewhat of a closet gamer. But, at the same time, I need this little tidbit of advice somewhat badly.

I'm up to Chapter 6. I've killed dragons, orcs, skeletons and demons alike - my problem is in the shape of the "puzzle room" after encountering Mario, should you choose to let him into your crew, in the following room with the "Key Master", what not. Now, my problem seems to be one of a troubleshooting nature, due to the fact that I've went through a bit... Three of the pillars relinquished to me within moments, as I had quickly wised out the center-left-right pattern to each of them (except for the one where the button in itself is all that is needed). So, confidently, I strode into the final chamber - the one with goblin skeletons and gas. Center - no problem! Left - gas. Discouraged, I tried every combination possible (pushing the same button multiple times does nothing), and no matter which combination (CENTER-LEFT, CENTER-RIGHT, RIGHT-LEFT, RIGHT-CENTER, LEFT-CENTER, LEFT-RIGHT) is used to begin with, it always leads to gas on the second layer, leading to the third being a resetted venture (you can't complete the circle of switches.) Thinking there to be a trick, I waltzed back to Diego, whose advice was meaningless. Thinking there to be an even deeper trick, I went to various walkthroughs, finding that my assumption of CENTER-LEFT-RIGHT was correct in everyone else's gameplay. I've checked every damned piece of troubleshooting that I could find, to no avail.

Does anyone have any idea whatsoever as to the cause of my problem? I'm playing as a Dragon Hunter, running on English 1.31, and have had no other serious problems (which halt play entirely) throughout the game. I've tried reloading to an earlier position, which did not work either. I can't think of anything else that would be useful, as far as information - so, I leave it in your hands, hoping that you can aid my insomnia in solving this matter of anger. Thanks.
Post Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:54 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to the forum.

IŽll move this to the spoiler forum. Your chances are better over there.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:29 am
Aperama
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks... glad to be here, except for the circumstances it had to be in.

I had figured it to be a matter of a problem with the game, due to the fact that, if it was just a misconception, then one of the combinations should have worked (read: not sent out gas towards me which takes about 50 HP per 5 seconds in it, and reset the counter for the switches (if I press the center button, then the left one's depression sets off the gas. If I either wait for the gas to clear or brave through the gas to go to the final button, it acts as though that was the first button I had pressed - resetting the counter.)

See where my problem lies? =/
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:05 am
-Jekyll
Village Leader
Village Leader

Oddly enough, Im having the same exact problem at this very moment.

Things that make you go hmm....
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:14 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

You don't sound like a total tard so I have too assume you are having a game problem. I did a search for gas in the spoilers forum and saw in a thread where a reload cured it. There are no topics about this in the bugs forum, so it is likely you have just encountered a random glitch.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:38 am
-Jekyll
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yup, I reloaded to an earlier point and the gas room worked the way it should have...
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:41 am
Aperama
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Uriziel
You don't sound like a total tard so I have too assume you are having a game problem. I did a search for gas in the spoilers forum and saw in a thread where a reload cured it. There are no topics about this in the bugs forum, so it is likely you have just encountered a random glitch.

You see, I'd like to believe that. But I've withdrawn as far as Chapter 4 once, and Chapter 5 twice. No matter what I do, THAT BEDAMNABLE ROOM DOES NOT WORK.

Is there a noclip mode? Or was Doom indeed the final bastion of this masterpiece of idiotic trickery? ._.

(Thanks for recognising me as not being one of the "OMG WAD DO I DU?!?!? types, though.)

I'm at a crossroads, here, for it may be a problem with my copy - note, I don't say "that install", I've tried that too - to a point where I'm going to have to cheat or, worse still, get other people's saves just so I can say I've beaten the damned thing, shove it into a corner and neglect it for the rest of its days.

... Or restart and become a Mage. But dammit, Mages do get so tiresome. If anyone has a solution other than the following, please, let me know:
- loading to an earlier position
- restarting the game
- fiddling with the save game files themselves (I've done all I can do without physically hacking the program. And that's a headache.)
- cheating (I've a moral problem with it, really. But I suppose, given that he IS level 47 now, he could probably hack and slash through anything, anyway.)
- reinstalling the game (Four times. Nuh-uh.)
- repurchasing the game (Got it on eBay, admittedly - and after this frustration, there's not a chance I could bring myself to doing it.)
- committing suicide through the aid of my hero (Doesn't do much, but it's quite relieving. Especially the sea monster back at the ship.)
- formatting my hard drive (backed these saves up)
- scanning the saves and game for viruses.

I think that's all I've done so far, but... I'm slowly giving up the proverbial ghost.
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:22 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Do it in another order. Do the gas chamber last(or was it second last, it's been a long time since I've played the game). I think I always do it second last, and I've never had that problem(played the game A LOT too). At least, load before you even go into the room, and make sure you do the room that are up the stairs first(I think I do the room to the left of the big door first, then the right. Then the lower left(right of the door where you came in), and then the final room). Try this order. If it doesn't work, there is a serious bug involved.

Also, the reason might be because you haven't killed all the goblins. There is two rounds of skeletal goblins popping in, and if you try the buttons before you have waited and killed all 10 goblins, only gas will appear.

And another thing, I think the right combination is center-right-left, not center-left-right, but it's been quite a while since I've played the game. I know that all combinations are not the same though(but all are either center-right-left or center-left-right).
Post Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:04 am
-Jekyll
Village Leader
Village Leader

All rooms are center-left-right except for the gas room which is center-right-left.
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:15 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Personally, I would use marvin mode and "K" thru the door. I would not consider that cheating, since you seem to be having a game glitch.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:13 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

I agree. I am against any kind of cheating, unless it's for "research purposes" like Jaz used Marvin for in the past. Still, this would not be considered cheating, at least not by me, when he has already tried the right way of solving it, and it didn't work.
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:08 pm
Aperama
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Uriziel
Personally, I would use marvin mode and "K" thru the door. I would not consider that cheating, since you seem to be having a game glitch.

Ahh, thanks. I couldn't seem to see it out of the assorted Marvin listings - complete mental blocks surrounded me. But, yeah, thanks to that, I went through and beat the damned thing. Huzzah! *cracks CD in partial anger*
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:20 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Congratulations!
Post Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:32 pm