Kult
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Kult

Anyone have any user / gaming info about Kult as yet??

I havent seen a demo, but all the previews seem to rate it as above average.

The website screenshots appear very good also.

There seems to be no high profile hype....which may or may not be a bad thing.................and its supposed to be released in europe tomorrow (Friday 01/10/04).

Regards,

Hex
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:00 pm
JOTAS
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Looks good.
ordered English version from www.pcmedia.nl Forgot to mention not available in U.K. So ordered the game off the website mentioned
Post Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:07 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Sorry, I've no more insight game info than you two, but I'm also keeping an eye on that one, and I also only read positive previews. And since this game isn't hyped like Ex "Fable" we probably will get more neutral previews/reviews reflecting the actual game.
Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:24 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

I thoroughly enjoyed playing it while I wrote my preview and I'll be going back to it as soon as I've finished writing another article. Give the demo a go.
Post Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:40 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I have played a bit of the demo and it looks very good. have no idea when it will come out in the US, but I have enough other games going that I can wait.

Game playtime is estimated at 20-30 hours ... which is extremely short compared to the hours I've been pumping into my first time through Arcanum recently ... but so long as it is a *good* play, that is what matters.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:55 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

I've played some of the Demo as well, and enjoyed it much more than the Demo of Seal of Evil. I still might get both games, but Kult made a much more favourable initial impression!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:02 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I've tried the demo now, and Kult defently have something special going for it regarding character (item) building and perhaps also story-wise.

This "Attunement" system which "Dhruin" also tries to explain in his preview, makes you change your characters weapons and armour a lot to learn new attunements (skills).

Your basic skills Melee, ranged, magic and speed can only be upgraded when you have ca. 100 points in your advancement pool. You get points in this pool if your character level up, or you find some special magic places (Hexes).

Your characters item collection is very limited to 20 slots besides the items you have equiped. You can find bags, that occupies one slot and give you 4 new ones. I've so far not found any limit to what you can put into a bag, but as "Dhruin" also writes, it's annoying that you can't put items directly into a bag by clicking an item on a bag.

Advancement in the main story is done like reading a comic-book while someone reads loud for you, it really tries to give the story a deeper plot, but I think only the hole game can decide if it will succeed or not.

Lot's of side-quests, many not so difficult to solve and are mostly straight forward.

An area map would be very nice, and is defently a flaw that it is missing.

This "dreamworld" actual gives you twice the area sizes to explore.

Graphics are sufficient, but not even close to ex: "Sacreds" crisp 2D graphics. Like the old Baldurs gate I+II, and other games with this old graphic engine it's many times hard to see where the floor ends and where the wall begins, and it's hard to see elevated areas as well. Your characters movements also not always have a fluid feeling, I suspect that the "pathfinder" program is to blaim.

My conclusion is a mixed bag, but still with an edge for the better, and with the very few CRPG's coming out at the moment, we can't really be that picky can't we? But I hang my hat on the "story" and the interesting "Attunement" system, so I will probably buy the game after all.
Post Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:02 am
Dhruin

Nice summary, Michael, and I agree with everything there (although I rate the graphics a little closer to Sacred and I prefer the art style). It's certainly not a hidden all-time classic but it's a nice little game.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:29 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Im sort of mixed on Kult. When I first downloaded the demo, I spent about 10 minutes with it and didnt like it. Now having tried again, I have somewhat of a more favorable view of it. My first complaint was the slew of creatures they throw at a brand spankin new toon, a ranged toon that is, and quite vulnerable. But using the dreamworld in hit n run types of attacks, it is far more manageable. I just make sure that the dreamworld is also clear of immediate foes when I enter a new map, so I dont end up jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. Having said that, the creatures in general arent too difficult themselves so far, they have only been a problem for me when Im attacked en masse. At one point, I had a bear and about 6 wolves on my tail!

Speaking of the "dreamworld" I have to say that I like this feature alot. Youd think it would be called the "astral plane" or something, especially since there is so much quasi-religious/occult terminology in Kult, "dreamworld" sounds like a Disney theme park attraction or something. The dreamworld itself tho is a cool feature that I havent seen any other game use as it does. It sorta reminds me of the seer spell or whatever in Undying, just when you think there is nothing else to see in this area, you realize there really is.

I dont like the "attunement" thing personally. Graphics are pretty good, and I like the elementals and other things Ive battled thus far. The demo ran like a top. No slowdowns, hiccups, or otherwise unwelcome disturbances. I'll get it when it hits the bargain bin however, im action-RPG'd out after 2 runs thru Sacred ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:29 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

I'm also mixed on Kult. The game looks fairly good, has half a decent looking stroy for an action RPG, but on the other hand, I completely dislike the idea of attunements, or at least how it is implemented in the game - 1 item - 1 attunement. That sux. It would have been much better, if different items had more than one attunements, so that I might want to keep to items I've been using for a while, and not change them ASAP as I get new ones.
I have 2 questions, btw.
1 - how do I rest in this game? I managed to rest once (except the 2 mandatory times in the monastery & before my techer left me) on the camp fire, but after I rescued the villagers i could rest no longer.
2 - (I know it is not on Kult, but I don't feel like opening a new topic especially for this) - where is the room in the Seal of Evil Demo that the lead heroine is supposed to sleep? I remember having trouble finding it in last years demo, but I have absolutely no idea where to find it right now? (on a side note, I definately liked Seal of Evil better, it has more flavour than Kult, but the English voise acting is worse that Beyond Divinity's. They should have kept the Chineese.)
Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I have to say I like the game so far. I agree the attunement is different, and I wish the demo site would have had a few more instructions and not have them tacked on to the end of the demo when you exit the game. LOL Using the attunements took a bit of figuring out at first. But so far so good. Hope they don't take forever to get it here to US to buy.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:25 pm
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

Is it 3d or 2d and is it with a 3rd person vies or first person view???
(The bother questions are the same )
Post Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:20 pm
corwin

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona

I have 2 questions, btw.
1 - how do I rest in this game? I managed to rest once (except the 2 mandatory times in the monastery & before my techer left me) on the camp fire, but after I rescued the villagers i could rest no longer.

OK, once you rescue the villagers, you can't use the campfire. You need to rest in the Inn. Once you buy your house, you can rest there as well as store things. I enjoyed the Demo so much, I've ordered the game online.

2 - (I know it is not on Kult, but I don't feel like opening a new topic especially for this) - where is the room in the Seal of Evil Demo that the lead heroine is supposed to sleep? I remember having trouble finding it in last years demo, but I have absolutely no idea where to find it right now? (on a side note, I definately liked Seal of Evil better, it has more flavour than Kult, but the English voise acting is worse that Beyond Divinity's. They should have kept the Chineese.)

I don't like Seal of Evil as much. Like you, I can't find where to rest. I'm sick of killing snakes. It's too dark for me and WAY too slow. After an hour, I was BORED with it, and I don't bore easily. I've tried the demo twice, and if I knew where to find something other than snakes to fight, I'd be willing to give it a third go, but right now I won't be rushing out to order it.

PS, There's a PDF Manual that comes with the Demo; check your install directory.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:09 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

corwin, I did finish the demo last year, when it first came out (the one with the bugs in the translation) but it got me very interested -> the voice (Chineese voice acting, the English already got an dis-honorable mention as the worst ever, especially of the female lead) was more than decent, the story was good looking (there are actually 2 more story sequences in the demo, but they are unlocked after that girls sleeps twice which should also unlock new skills for both characters in the demo and new NPCs - like the man that the flower wine is for, the lead heroine's father, her boyfriend, and one or 2 more) but basically the demo is all bout killing snakes, as that was the only monster infested area in the demo. Btw, the game is dark, as it is supposed to be late at night, and after you rest, it'd be ok, but since the resting is a huge problem obviously, and I am not the only one with it, I start to think that either it is a newly introduced bug (as this is a v.1.04 demo, supposedly last year's was a 1.00 or 0.99 or whatever) or a new limitation by the UK publisher or sth like that.
Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:22 am