View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Northchild
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Technical Problem (Wrong Disc Inserted)

Hi all,

I recently received a copy of Arx Fatalis with my video card. At first, it ran fairly well on my system. However, I’m unable to run the game now after installing the most recent patch (1.17, I think). I’m getting the error message “Wrong Disc Inserted”, even though the correct CD is in the drive.

I've also sent a message to jroby@arkane-studios.com, but haven't received a reply yet. Was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem.

Thanks!
Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:14 pm
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Yes, I remember back when something similar happened to me. I actually had to re-install the older patch and uninstalling 1.17.

I first tried to un-install and then re-install the game then add the patch, to no avail. The only fix for me was to use the 1.13 patch which was the correct version on my cd. The 1.17 patch was very finicky for me and my version of the game and my system.

Did you have issues running the game? Is that why you installed the patch? My advice would be: If you did not have any issues then go back and uninstall the game. (Your save games will save. It has an option for that when you uninstall. Or you can copy the save games to your desktop.) Then go back and install your game again but not the patch. If you are still having issue let me know and I can send you the patch that worked for me. (Someone here sent it to me when I needed it.) My game ran smoothly after that.

Good Luck ~T
Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:46 pm
Northchild
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Did you have issues running the game? Is that why you installed the patch? My advice would be: If you did not have any issues then go back and uninstall the game. (Your save games will save. It has an option for that when you uninstall. Or you can copy the save games to your desktop.) Then go back and install your game again but not the patch.

This sounds like a good idea. The first hour or so that I played the game was fine without the patch - I just installed the patch because I had heard that other people had problems without it. Thank you for your help!
Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:56 pm
BSC14
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I thinkthe problem comes in when you start playing THEN patch it. I was told to patch BEFORE playing.
Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:29 pm
Northchild
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
I was told to patch BEFORE playing.

I uninstalled Arx, reinstalled it without loading it, then applied the patch - same error. Thank you for the advice though.
Post Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:00 pm
BSC14
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

quote:
Originally posted by Northchild
quote:
I was told to patch BEFORE playing.

I uninstalled Arx, reinstalled it without loading it, then applied the patch - same error. Thank you for the advice though.

Well that sucks..
Post Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:07 am
BSC14
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Did you install all the patches or just the newest one? When I did I installed all the patches just because I wasn't sure if I could install just the latest one. Not sure if it was a waist of time or not. Anyway, you're not loading a old game are you? You are starting over?
Post Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:09 pm
Northchild
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Did you install all the patches or just the newest one? When I did I installed all the patches just because I wasn't sure if I could install just the latest one. Not sure if it was a waist of time or not. Anyway, you're not loading a old game are you? You are starting over?

Actually, I haven't tried installing all of the patches, but that sounds like a bit more trouble than it's worth at this point... unless I have more serious problems with my unpatched Arx. So far, so good. When I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Arx, you're right - I was starting over. I backed up my saved games and did a full delete of the Jowood directory.

If I hear anything from Arx tech support, I'll post it here in case anyone else is having similar problems.
Post Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:33 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Patch problems

Northchild, did you include your system stats with your question to Arkane? Also, send a note on the first thread here to Garret. He may be able to get in touch with them faster. Keep us posted. This is a new one on me.
Mark Twain
Post Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:41 pm
Northchild
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Yep! I included my DirectX diagnostics with the email to Arkane. I'm sure that I'll get an answer next week; they probably have a lot to work on and I appreciate the fact that there's an email address to write to. Like I said, it's not mission-critical stuff. I played Arx for a few hours last night - I get occasional crashes to desktop and my EAX settings aren't saved when I adjust options, but no big deal. Mostly curious.

System:

ABIT IC7-G
Intel 3.0; 800mhz FSB; HT
2 GB Crucial 3200
SATA RAID - Dual WD Raptors
NEC DVD +/- RW
Gainward Nvidia 5900fx 256MB; Updated drivers
SoundBlaster Audigy 2

Windows XP SP1 Home - All updates installed
DirectX 9 Final Release
Post Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:29 pm