Usergroups
types of magic
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
ax_the_ex
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

there r 6 types of magic- fire, water, wind, earth, mind, divine. correct me if im wrong for the uses of the magic.

fire- extremely strong
water- strong but also curing
wind- group attack
earth- support for party (endurance)
mind- support attacking (confusion)
divine- healing

i will need to know the uses of the magic so i can lvl up certain types on my members.
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 10:47 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

You are nearly completly right, only divine magic is:
- nearly only healing low level spells
- very strong attacks high level spells (instant death to single and then to all enemies (Death Wish is maybe most powerful attack spell in whole game))

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-03-31 17:03 ]
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 11:02 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Since offensive magic becomes less useful the farther you go, I'd say water may be the best one to have- Freeze Flesh, Freeze All, Rest All and Stamina are all fantastic and (almost) mandatory.

When picking spell realms to improve, go after the ones that put conditions on the critters and the ones that put favorable conditions on the party. There's decent ones in each realm. It's personal preference at that point.
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 11:15 pm
psyborg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I don't really think attack spells get obsolete in this game, even ones like Energy Blast. Seems like the factors it uses to calculate the power are of course, power level cast, realm skill, and spellbook skill...I'd like to see a Level 7 energy blast with 100 in Wizardry skill and 100 in Fire skill.

Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 6:48 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Dteowner I can not agree with you. In later parts of game there are two best realms: divine and that one realm with asphixation spell (I am not sure, I have not my copy of Wiz8 here, probably wind realm).

There are two spells in this two realms that, when you learn them well and when you are able to cast them on high power level, are extremly dangerous:
- death wish (tries to kill all enemies)
- asphixation (tries to kill all enemies).

I had two spellcasters each was strong in one of them and they ussually killed between 50 - 80% of enemies during first round .
Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:47 am
hatrossRig
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

i think you should focus your poiints on the magic skills that you are lacking in. thats the only way to learn all the realms, it may take more time buts its worth it. every spell in the game is usefull as long as its used on the proper monster. right click on the monster to see what its lowest resistance is (however, your mythology skill needs to be up at 75 or so if you want to see all the resistances).
Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 9:36 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

If you focus on all realms and you do not plan to spend 100 hours training them on respawned creatures, you will not be able to reach highest powerlevels on strongest spells (for example Death wish). I think it is better to have two spellcasters each specialized on two realms (however, later you can teach them some spells from third and fourth realm).
Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 10:12 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

OK, I'll give you the nod on those two spells. I didn't build up my air skill enough to do much reliably with asphixiation, and I really didn't use death wish as much as I should have. Looking back, I can see where a spellcaster could do OK with those spells if he was developed right. I found that the approach I used for most of the game was "ice 'em and dice 'em". That's an original there, folks. I'm sooo proud....
Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 11:53 pm

I have to point out that Quicksand is probably the 'best' kill all spell in the game for several reasons.

1) it can be gotten earlier than the others as it is a level 6 spell. Also, it is an alchemist spell and alchemy can be taken well over 100 skill very early on by mixing potions, which also makes you rich .
2) Resists dont seem to happen as often for me as they do with asphyxiate or death wish all the way up to Ascension peak.
3) Many Hybrids can learn this spell because most hybrids get the alchemists spellbook. Although the level req. is pretty high for hybrids .

Although I will admit that during the end game death wish is more useful because mobs on ascension peak are weaker against divine than any of the other realms. But your priest should use his divinity spell points for healing and protecting rather than killing...steel is more useful than spells there anyway.
Just my opinion.
Post Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:00 am

Mage_77
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
fire- extremely strong

I have to disagree with this. Fire is extremely strong at the start of the game but near the end everything has 100+ fire resists (rapax are one mob type that has).

quote:
water- strong but also curing

This i will agree with but this realm is also defensive. Wizards/Bishops = Freeze Flesh, Freeze All & if you are an alchemist you have Tsunami which is very nice against the right mobs.

quote:
earth- support for party (endurance)

I can understand why this was listed as a support realm but for an alchemist, wizard & bishop this realm is one of the best earlier on. Crush & Whipping Rocks do huge amounts of dmg not to mention at level 6 you get Quicksand which is a Cloud spell Range/Area instant kill spell & most mobs dont actually have much earth realm as they do "wind,fire & divine resists".

quote:
divine- healing

This is a healing realm but also it has defensive & support spells + you get Instant Death which is a single target instant death spell + Death wish which is a spell that instant kills anything around the caster if they dont resist it. Dont forget Death Cloud which i find is actually more useful than Instant Death or Deathwish ever were as Death Cloud is multiple rounds of chances to Instant Kill mobs which is handy if you know whats likely to resist the Death Wish/ID spells.

-------------------------------------
Dont believe everything you hear - Sleep IS over-rated.
Post Tue Apr 02, 2002 6:05 pm