Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Do you think Morrowind or Dungeon Siege is better?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Mortanius

Do you think Morrowind or Dungeon Siege is better?

I have been playing Morrowind and Dungeon Siege and i like both of them. I love the idea of going higher in rank in DS, but i also love the idea of being able to turn into a vampire in Morr. What do you guys think is better? Please help me decide which one you think is better.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:11 am

Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Before I start I will say I played DS also, all the way through.

Now..for my OPINION. I think Morrowind and Dungeon Siege have no comparison. Morrowind is a true RPG with far more to do, see, experience etc. Dungeon Siege, while a pretty big game with gorgeous scenery, there is not much new to experience as you play. You start off hacking and slashing then town, then repeat, lather, rinse. It's the same until the end. Not to mention you don't even need a brain to complete it. It was very easy. But I did enjoy it. That said, I think Morrowind is much better a game but of course it all depends on what you like. Morrowind has much more to offer with 0% Linearability (i know thats not a word) while DS is pretty much 100% linear.

Anyways ;P There ya go.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:15 am
Agamon

I simply can't have fun playing games like DS. It may look nice, but it Diablo-type games bore me very quickly.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:15 am

maethlin

Dungeon Siege??

I loved dungeon siege...........

.........for about 2 days.

Then I got incredibly bored by the endless mindless critter-killing. It's about as brainless as a game could be, albeit very, very pretty.

Morrowind > DS hands down.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:20 am

firebead
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

First of all, I am not a ARPG fan. Played Diablo, but never got into Diablo II. DS, however, I played a lot. I am currently level 86 majored in Combat Magic. DS is especially fun to play when you have good friends to join you to play with DSL conncetions.

I think all of us are aware the fundamental difference between Morrowind and DS. DS is only fun for me in Multiplayer mode (never started the single player game). Morrowind, on the other hand, is an epic novel, you are going to enjoy for a very very long time.

One thing I have to admit, even I love Morrowind very much, that DS is a much polished game than MW. I couldn't say that MW's graphic is much better than DS, they are about in the same level. But I have no problem with the display during a 4-player-coop, and full detail. MW is another story, which has been told repeatedly on the forums again and again.

That said, I feel I am very lucky after read all the posts by people with very high end computers. I am getting 20-40 indoor, and 10-20 city FPS - not much worse than those with very high end PCs. My rig is: P3-700@933, 512MB Ram, Radeon LE 32 MB. The low FR make me dizzy and my eyes hurt a lot. I had to quit last night due to headache... I do have the dump-to-desktop syndrom, but later I found out it's not my PC problem: I have tried to leave the game on idle for hours, it does not crash. It crash when you barter, open the door, cancel an action etc. That means it's the buggy code.

All in all, I like this game a lot. Much more than DS (getting bored fast playing DS after you reach 65+ level in 2-3 days). But DS is a polished game, and MW is unfortunately not.

I would recommend people to buy DS right now if they like ARPG, but I will ask them to hold on MW, until the the 3rd patch is out.

Just my $0.02.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:32 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I personally think (this regarding the last guy talking about bugs) The developers did a tremendous job getting out bugs. In fact the only Bugs I have encountered were when I TRIED to make something happen. A few times I was able to get my character stuck and while usually you can wiggle out of those spots..sometimes you can't...
The only other thing was onetime I crashed to the desktop..but that was rare and only happened because I was jumping up and down and swinging and trying to bog everything to see how it ran.

Other than that I think the game released at a pretty decent state and there is no..NO reason to wait til a patch to get the game (IMO)..
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:42 am
Lord Puck
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

In my opinion Morrowind is better hands down.Dungeon Siege was boring to me after about 2 days.Morrowind is a true RPG,and Dungeon Siege to me was more of an action adventure game.Well thats just my opinion.

Lord Puck
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:42 am
Mortanius

This is really interesting to see what you guys think.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 1:59 am

How786
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

DS is a game for little kiddies who want mindless and repetitious boredom.
I got tired of the game and its really poor interface after about 2 hours of 'trying hard' to like it....after all, so many reviewers loved the game or were PAID to love the game. Linear, poor mob ai, not truly a RPG, wow...what a boring game. I returned it on day 2 and got my money back form EB.

Morrowind is a whole other cclass of game. Depth, wonderul interface, huge, non-linear gameplay, a RPG par-excellence! EYC....etc.

The 2 games should not even be mentioned in the same breath. I think Darkstone and Diablo II were FAR, better than DS for the gendre of game.

Howie
Post Tue May 07, 2002 2:37 am
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

They are different, almost like apples versus oranges.

DS is more action-oriented. You work your way (combat) in a linear fashion. There are some group tactics you can manage but not much.

MW is more adventure-oriented. There are really territories for you to explore. Most of the quests can be solved by more than one solution. You get a sense that you can affect the outcome.

My opinion: get them both and try it. Taste the difference.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 2:49 am
Isaac

I had posted this on another board, but miiiight have felt my opinion could have helped here. ....

*Laughs* The thing is, think about what kind of game you want, really. I'm not trying to bash either. I would have absolutely fallen in love with Dungeon Siege and hated Morrowind about a year ago, when I was into Action RPG's. They were just mindless fun! So, if you're looking for some "mindless fun," Dungeon Siege is probably going to be the game for you (no offense to DS! I just found it a little TOO automated for my liking.) But with Morrowind, you get a free-form RPG. It might be meticulous to some at times, but it's a greater range of freedom. You don't "follow" a path, you decide your path. And like it's been said before, you either are turned on by that (eh, not a sexual reference there *winks*,) or turned off by it.

Graphically, they're both excellent in what they're trying to achieve. The thing is, Morrowind requires a serious system to view the game in all it's glory...*drools over the pixel-shaded water* But it also requires an inquisitive mind.
DS doesn't require much thought other than knowing when your character is about to die, but it is fun, and quite relaxing to just sit back and watch.
People complain that DS is too linear and automated (i.e., me. *smiles*), but it is only if you let it be.
People complain that MW's combat is too clunky, or it requires too much. It's pretty easy and cheap (in relative terms) to get a good enough system/upgrade to a system that you can experience Morrowind with, and there are enough suggestions on how to boost framerate and whatnot to compensate for the graphical slowdown. The combat is clunky if you let it be, also, but it can be exhilirating.

One major thing that might or might not turn you off about MW is that there are NO HEALTH BARS. As of yet, anyway. Some future patch might resolve this. You might take this as annoyance, or again, you could take it as realism.

Again with walking speed i.e. it's SLOW at the start.

Character creation was complained about in another post I had read on the other board-you can create your own character and character class, and name and define your skills. Cool, or what? Same with DS, but you only get 4 skills to work with. (I found that lame. *Grins*)

People complain about Morrowind being buggy or dying too often, and I ask them to 1) Consider how HUGE the game is 2) Work on your skills! If you want easy skill gain, DS! (So I'm leaning on Morrowind, I love it, can ya blame me? Probably. *Grins*)

Anyway, continuing, some people complain about animations. Really though? Animations don't make up gameplay. Gameplay makes up gameplay. And DS's repeated animations aren't "bad?"

*Smiles* I've rambled on for a bit...but really, I've tried to give you the main high and low points people are finding. It's a matter of your opinion.

Action-DS
The closest thing to a fully realized RPG-Morrowind

Also, there's Neverwinter Nights coming up ahead. The only reason why I'd really play it is for the multiplayer component (which I believe most people will be playing it for.) So, got a few friends you want to have a blast with? Get it. Otherwise, consider the other two major ones.

And you always have Star Wars Galaxies to look forward to.

Take care.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 3:00 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I loved DS, but MW is simply better.

But it is subjective opinion because compare these two game is not good idea .
Post Tue May 07, 2002 5:43 am
Dark Lotus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I agree that they are two different types of games and shouldn't be compared (what do you like better, Halo or Madden?).

However, at least Dungeon Siege worked right.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 7:51 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Let me just say that this thread is a perfect example for how I like discussions - and why i think that these (our) boards are so special. no flaming, no calling names, no bashing, just talking about differences, likes, dislikes and such.

I don't know where you all hided the last years - but I say it's good to see you surface here at RPGDot . Please let this excellent discussions keep coming.

Now on topic: I played Dungeon Siege and I liked it for hat it is: hacking and gathering cool equipment. It didn't get me very involved, though - but this isn't always necessary for me. Dungeon Siege is fun for some time, but I didn't finish it, lost interest shorty before entering the swamp. I WOULD have loved the multiplayer game in solo mode if the quests woud have been saved with the game. It had more "openness" than the campaign (you can go everywhere - in the single player campaign you basically follow a narrow road).

Morrowind, on the other hand, is just my kind of game. I like the fact that I just can be there, without an agenda if I don't feel doing a quest. Morrowind will remain on my hard disk until the sequel is done, and even then I might wnat to live on there. For me, Morrowind is absolutely superior, but I acknowledge that there might be different opinions.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 8:22 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius

Morrowind, on the other hand, is just my kind of game. I like the fact that I just can be there, without an agenda if I don't feel doing a quest. Morrowind will remain on my hard disk until the sequel is done, and even then I might wnat to live on there. For me, Morrowind is absolutely superior, but I acknowledge that there might be different opinions.

My thoughts exactly. Well put.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 8:29 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next