Internal Affairs
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Internal Affairs

Things are quite busy here at RPGDot: Myrthos is converting our hosted sites to the new database format, and Arhu is putting the finishing touches on the alternative skin for the site. It could go online as early as this weekend. <br> <br>Alternative skin? Huh? Well, we now have separated the content from the layout. This allows us to offer different "looks" to registered users here (are you registered? It's free, it grants you access to the forums, it lets you customize the news that are displayed and will give you the choice of different skins - so don't hesitate, you get a lot of goodies for free *g*). The new one by Arhu is extremely nice, IMHO (the editors are already using it and find it very beautiful and readable), and other new skins will follow for sure. We have posted an early snapshot a couple of days ago, if you have missed it, here's the <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16788" target="_blank">link</a> again. <br> <br>What am I playing at the moment? Well, DreamCatcher Software sent me a gold copy of Harbinger, and you can bet that I spend quite some time with it *g* (a detailed review to follow shortly after the official release). First impressions? Atmospheric, enjoyable, hard - and a hilarious intro movie . Morrowind is still a favorite pasttime for me, and I manage to replay Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2 from time to time as well. Apart from playing games, I have a good time working myself through my DVD collection of Star Trek: The Next Generation. It's like meeting old friends. Can someone tell me if Star Trek: DS9 is as enjoyable? I haven't seen a lot of them and wonder if it is worth getting the series on DVD...
Post Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:02 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

It's great to see all the good work being done here, but just a gentle hint Rend, you have another website that seems to have been ignored for quite awhile now. I'm sure that will change soon though!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:04 am
albatross
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I liked the series DS9 and I did so mainly because of Quark(he's the Ferengi that owns the bar in the station). I hope I got the name right. All good series have to have at least one character that stands out, and he's it for me. Try it out.
Post Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:35 am
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

DS9 starts off very slow, but by the 4th series really comes into it's own. It's a lot darker then the next gen, but is probably my favorite Start Trek series after the original. If you like arc based series like Babylon 5 (which I never watched), you'd enjoy it, as the last 3 seriews are based on a war against foreign invaders, but if you prefer stand alone storys you might be disappointed. It's a hard series to recommend, as it is an acquired taste, but I loved it.
Post Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:12 am
darklord
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ds9

Personally DS9 was one of my favourite star treks it had a great ongoing story that really developed throughout the series and it did have Next gen chars pop in from time to time Wharf even joined the series later on which was nice!

How mush do the DVD'd cost anyhow do you get a whole series on each DVD?

Daniel.
Post Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:54 am
Ragon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well, if you need yet more hint, Rend:

DS9: 3       Actual content of your news item: 1

Aahh, whadda f***, make it 4:1.
And to your question: i am VERY much into `arcs´! (as Jay put it so eloquently! )

Though i wouldn´t dare to favor one over the other just due to their very different making, DS9 AND TNG are on par both my most liked ST series!
And yes, as Jay pointed out again oh so precisely , it may yet be a bit hard getting into it for TOS/TNG `addicts´, but, remembering my own viewing exprience, the show really starts gaining drive when the mysterious superpower of the Gamma Quadrant, the `Dominion´, gets `more screentime´, so to say.

This quite `chewey´ lead in over the first 3 seasons yielded the makers of it nice criticism back then like DS9 being dubbed as "soap in space" and other `name calling´.
(Then again - wasn´t TNG called s.th. like that, too, by some fierce critics? And wasn´t at least its first season quite `TOSy´ until it found its unique style and could emancipate from the so mighty image of the original? )

But from that said point on the characters, their relationships as well as the stories grew pleasently stronger.
(How is it always that stories about conflicts appeal most to people!? ).

Whatever...
- oh, btw: Did i already mention the new design to be nice and quite a lot resembling "Divine Divinity" on my part!?
Post Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:30 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

quote:
but just a gentle hint Rend, you have another website that seems to have been ignored for quite awhile now.

I know, I know. I am really waiting for phpnuke 6.5 to be released in order to revive my personal site. Once this happens, you'll see frequent updates again.
Post Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:06 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I agree with the others that DS9 is definitely worth watching. The show is more character driven than the other ST shows. DS9 contains some of the best episodes of all shows.
DS9 starts rather slowly and accelerates when the influences from Babylon 5 (story arc over more than one season, more surprising story twists, ever-changing coalitions) are clearly visible.
Good starting points are (3.1) and (4.1).
(3.1) The "Dominion" arc starts. And Cisco gets a new, more aggressive haircut.
(4.1) Worf enters DS9 as tactical officer. The action comes with him.
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:39 am
Ragon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Not to forget - i only say one word: "De-fi-ant"!
Yeah, baby!

(However i don´t know exactly, where it belongs to - probably 3.1, too? But was it really only the following season that Worf already came aboard!? )

Ragon
Post Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:47 am