Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Is there magic in this game?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

Is there magic in this game? All of the screen shots I have seen show no spell effects. Some shots look like "Rune". I haven't had the time to download the demo yet to see for myself.

Thanks in advance
Post Mon Oct 15, 2001 7:10 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Yes. There is fire and water magic. Plus something I wonīt spoil here.

Gothic looks a bit like Rune, but the gameplay is completely different. The interface reacts more slowly, so itīs allmost impossible to fight more than one serious opponent at the same time. In Rune you jump&run through the game and kill one stupid enemy after the other. Gothic forces you to think before you attack a group of NPCs or they will kick your butt.
Post Mon Oct 15, 2001 7:42 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Rune was just terrible.

I love Gothic-like games.
But Rune was just stupid. You fought goblins, and plants more than humans. Well, you actually only fought humans only once in the game. That's when you had to raid some old ice ruins.

There's Fire Magic, Water Magic, and... Mmm... Dark Magic.

I hate it when people say "Dark" magic. As in "Evil" magic.
But hell, this game is being translated from German.
Post Mon Oct 15, 2001 9:12 pm
Crusher
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well there are so many spells and scrolls that i dont have fingers in my family!!!
And they are realy good looking to and also there is a ...magic i dont realy know if there is ...magic :))
Post Tue Oct 16, 2001 6:22 am
d95err
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I used the fireball scroll to beat Kharim in the arena (!). The effect is one of the best I've seen ever. Your character starts to "mold" the fireball, throwing the growing fire from one hand to another until he finally throws it against the target. Spectacular!

However, it will probably be difficult to use spells in close combat. By the time you are ready to throw the spell, a sword-flinging opponent will already have cut you to pieces. You have to surprise your opponent in order to throw the spell at them.
Post Thu Oct 18, 2001 11:55 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:

On 2001-10-18 06:55, d95err wrote:
However, it will probably be difficult to use spells in close combat. By the time you are ready to throw the spell, a sword-flinging opponent will already have cut you to pieces. You have to surprise your opponent in order to throw the spell at them.

Absolutely correct. You have to use a combination of surprise and clever choice of spell(s). For example summon some skeletons to keep the opponents busy, then cast Firestorm or Wave of Death.

[ This Message was edited by: Gorath on 2001-10-18 07:08 ]
Post Thu Oct 18, 2001 12:06 pm
Macros_The_Black
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

This is why i would like magic shield...
Post Thu Oct 18, 2001 12:37 pm