Ultima 5 Lazarus - Now Available
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Ultima 5 Lazarus - Now Available

Just announced by Lazarus team leader Tiberius is the release and availability of Ultima 5 Lazarus. Here's the offocial announcement.<BR><BR><!--StartFragment --><SPAN class=content>
<BLOCKQUOTE><I><SPAN class=content>At last, my friends, the time has come. After five and a half long years, Lazarus is complete. The first Ultima remake project to ever actually reach the finish line....weighing in at over 500 megabytes, with nearly 300 unique NPCs, and literally hundreds of hours of play value, Lazarus is HERE!<BR><BR><BR>The game is available for both PC and Mac, though currently only in English--French and German versions will be forthcoming. So make sure you've got your copy of Dungeon Siege patched up to date, download Lazarus, and enjoy!<BR><BR>Then head on over to our <A class=contentLink href="http://www.u5lazarus.org/forum/"><U><FONT color=#0000ff>FORUMS</FONT></U></A> and let us know what you think!<BR><BR><BR>Ultima V: Lazarus (PC)<BR><A class=contentLink href="http://www.filerush.com/download.php?target=u5_lazarus_setup.exe"><U><FONT color=#0000ff>BITTORRENT AT FILERUSH</FONT></U></A><BR><BR>
<DIV><!--StartFragment -->
<BLOCKQUOTE><i> <SPAN class=content>At present, only this bittorrent download is available. Direct downloads will be made available later in the day. If you are willing and able to provide an additional mirror for this download, please <A class=contentLink href="mailto:tibermoon@comcast.net"><U><FONT color=#0000ff>EMAIL ME</FONT></U></A> and let me know!</SPAN> </i></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></SPAN></I></BLOCKQUOTE></SPAN>
Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:30 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Wow awesome!
Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:31 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Woo!

...watching this download on Bit Torrent is painful... 18 hours!

...1 day...

...12 days!!

*goes back to surfing the forums so she won't see it downloading*
It's like watching water boil... it takes longer!
Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:08 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

lol nerds
Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:10 pm
slak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

YEESSSS!!!
Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:43 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I can see you getting excited over a game if it was Gothic 3 but this crap?
Post Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:54 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

What makes you think this is crap?
Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:36 am
corwin

Took less than 4 hours for me to get it downloaded. Perhaps you need a better BT client!!! Lazarus is not crap by any definition!! I assume Paul of the many 9's, that you enjoy displaying your ignorance in public. As someone who has played the original U5, the Lazarus demos and who has followed this project from its conception, I think I can safely say this is a great moment in gaming!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:03 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Wow 5 years, incredible!

"*goes back to surfing the forums so she won't see it downloading* "

Poor Val, maybe there are other sites offering it faster?
Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:18 am
corwin

I believe a few people have offered to host and make available for download the game file. Tiberius tried twice to upload the game to the server before he had to catch a flight, and both times he ran into technical problems he just didn't have time to solve. If you visit the main Lazarus site:- www.u5lazarus.com or its associated forums, you'll find details posted on the mirror sites!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:56 am
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath

Well

1. Dungeon Siege Engine (wich is crap and very ugly and blurry and looks like crap

2. Looks like the same boring tedious gameplay as Dungeon Siege.

3. I said its crap so its crap

They really worked on this for 5 years? Shoulda chose a better engine.
Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:56 am
Lucky Day

Finally!

This is the reason I bought Dungeon Siege. I've been waiting for this since before Ultima 9 came out (that's no lie - I used to frequent the Horizons forum with Tiberius).

This should be bigger and better than DS2. It certainly took long enough. The only major Ultima's mods ever actually finished were one for Runesword, two for NWN and Arx Fatalis which originally started out as an Ultima Underworld.
Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:51 am

Shimbatha
Village Leader
Village Leader

Yeah, those U9 forums were fun when the game hit. I was one of the people defending the game. Boy, did I get flamed.

As for this Lazarus project...I agree with Paul. You are better off getting DOSbox and running the original in that one. Heck, I have ultima 5 on two seperate CDs. (The stand alone Ultima Collection and the one that came with the dragon edition of U9)

Pass.
Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:48 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Paul999999
quote:
Originally posted by Gorath

Well

1. Dungeon Siege Engine (wich is crap and very ugly and blurry and looks like crap

2. Looks like the same boring tedious gameplay as Dungeon Siege.

3. I said its crap so its crap

They really worked on this for 5 years? Shoulda chose a better engine.

I swear Paul, you are the most annoying poster on this board.

You don't like Dungeon Seige? Fine. All you had to say was, "I don't really like Dungeon Siege, so I'll pass on this one."

Instead, you were a dick and called their work "crap" even though you haven't played it, and haven't seen how much they have changed from the original Dungeon Seige.

Look, I'm not one of these people that beleives that if something is free,, you can't say negative things about it. But at least show a modicum of respect for these guys who worked 5 years on this thing and saw it through to the end ... while so many other projects crashed and burned.

And trust me, this is no half-assed attempt. What has been released is very quality and polished work.

And for the record, I think Dungeon Seige was the best choice at the time thier project was coming together. Tiberius (the project leader) is no dummy. The graphics in DS may not be state of the art today, but at the time of its release they were breathtaking. In addtion to that, it is one of the most moddable engines out there. Nearly every game system is replacable and its scripting langauge is hugely powerful.

Sure, they could have built an engine from scratch. But on a volunteer project and with the staggering amount of content that was required to totally redo Ultima 5 (and knowing that they couldn't even *start* until the engine was finished)? It would take forever. Not to mention the expertise that would have been required to code a modern 3d engine from the ground up. Who would want to do that for free?

I suggest you learn some manners.
Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:45 am
XVampireX
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Can I play multiplayer with this? Does it have a multiplayer campaign...?
Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:11 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next