What do they want in a beta tester?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

What do they want in a beta tester?

I was filling out the application for the SWG beta, when it asked me to give three reasons why I would be a good beta tester. This will be only the second time I have ever applied for a beta, so I haven't the faintest idea what to answer. What to the companies want in a beta tester?
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:42 am
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

Here are some good beta testing qualities:

Experience beta testing. You have done it before, know how what you are doing, and submit bugs when you find them.

Experience with NDA agreements. You know what it means to be under one, and you do not violate them.

Dedication to the game you are testing/playing.

Patient. You know not everything will work, you might get stuck, and you are willing to wait if you need to.

Don't put one in if it isn't true, but choose qualities similar to these.

-vaticide
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:25 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Roach, in my opinion they want the best dedicated people, people who will tell them know about bugs when they encounter them. There are a lot of "testers" out there that just want to play the game for free, so you need to show them that that's not what you want. They need people to actually test the game, not just populate the world. Population stress tests are much later on in the last phases of BETA. This being the first stage, they need dedicated people. So I would suggest letting them know how much you want to help them make the game as bug free as possible, and also help them in fine tuning the gameplay features that they implement, as well as trying to find new solutions to poblems that may be encountered during the BETA phase.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:23 pm
The Omen
High Emperor
High Emperor

Of course you can lie, if you want it that bad.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:19 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

The bad thing about telling lies on beta applications is that a person that lied might get the spot, just to play the game for free. And a person who really wanted to help test the game won't get in.

Hehe, stress tests and open betas are funny if you go to the official msg boards when the servers go down. They act like they're paying for the game already.

I actually don't know what companies look for in testers, I only ever go into one test early on, AC1. I got into Beta 0 but had serious computer trouble that I rarely got to test it for them. Ohhh I take it back, I got into the Allegience Beta 0 too, but I hated that there was no mouse support so I voiced my opinion in the newsgroups and only checked the patches to see if they implemented mouse control.

Weird thing is I don't remember signing up for either beta. All I remember is receving a package from MS via AirBorne Express one day. I was like, SWEET. Whats really weird is that I had just moved a month or so before I got it, and it came addressed to my current address. MS has spies everywhere.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:56 am
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Provis, maybe someone referred you to the beta. I'm a member of MS Games Coregroup which does testing for upcoming games from Microsoft.

Occasionally the beta admins ask the current members to refer more people to be new members of the Coregroup. During my time in Core this has happened few times. As I've been there for like 4 years now it does not happen too often.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:14 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I believe they primarily look for prior beta testing experience. Which is a bit of a catch 22. You can't get in unless you have prior experience, and you can't get prior experience if you don't get in.

I applied for several beta tests (I was curious what it takes and I wanted to get involved with a new game). You'd figure that being a professional software developer that spends almost a third of his life playing games would qualify me... But I guess I'm not unscrupulous enough to lie about being in previous beta tests.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:16 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

@Xanaki
It's possible, but I doubt it. I probably just signed up and forgot about it.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:18 am