Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Newbie question about creating a new character.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

If you have Tribunal, it's worth playing a thief, as you will get VERY nice light armor in the beginning of the game.

Edit: Oh, and Dte, I do NOT like sneeky types. I usually play a barbarian type char with some mysticism magic.
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:41 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

My apologies. I figured the Khajit avatar was a hint, and there's not much doubt what a Khajit is best used for.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:06 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Well as far as magics go, I find the spells listed under Illusion, Alteration and Mysicism very appealing to me. Destruction and Conjuration hold no interest to me at all, and Restoration doesn't really excite me but I can see the obvious benefits of it. So I'm thinking about taking all the magics except Destruction and Conjuration as Minors. Opinions?

I'm torn about Enchant though. I want to try it but a few people have told me it's almost worthless. I heard that even at very high levels it's not very effective.
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:24 am
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

@Dte: I just love cats .

@JDR: Enchant won't bring you much, as even at 100, it will be almost impossible to make something useful. Mysticism is good, but it has very few spells. Alteration is more useful IMHO. Illusion spells usually do nothing, like the chameleon 100 still doesn't make you invisible, and invisibility is dispelled after any action. Destruction is the most useful, as it is the primary combat skill. Conjuration is quite hard, but can give you hilarious spells, like summon golden saint. Restoration is useful if you can't carry much potions(low strength), so I'd recommend it to a mage char. Anything else?
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:46 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by JDR13
Well as far as magics go, I find the spells listed under Illusion, Alteration and Mysicism very appealing to me. Destruction and Conjuration hold no interest to me at all, and Restoration doesn't really excite me but I can see the obvious benefits of it. So I'm thinking about taking all the magics except Destruction and Conjuration as Minors. Opinions?

If you take speech, merchant, and illusion, you won't have a way to train a personality skill. Not a crisis, but certainly something to think about.
quote:
Originally posted by JDR13
I'm torn about Enchant though. I want to try it but a few people have told me it's almost worthless. I heard that even at very high levels it's not very effective.
The rumors are true. It won't be very useful in the game, but if you want to use it go for it. After all, MW is about roleplaying more than character optimization.
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:49 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Ddtowner, I'm assuming you meant to say if I DON'T take any of those skills right? Well I'm definitely not going to take Merchant because I know that's useless. I'm going to take Illusion or Speechcraft or both.
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:07 am
~NOBODY~
The One And Only
The One And Only

What he meant is that you shouldn'ttake ALL of these skills. You should leave at least one.
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:16 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

No, he means if you do take them. The reason for keeping one skill per attribute as Misc is because you can train that skill to get bonus multipliers without adding more points towards level-up. But yes, Mercantile is dead boring and you'll probably only train Personality as a last resort anyhow, so taking Illusion is fine.

Taking all of Alteration, Mysticism and Restoration will only leave you Destruction for use in training up Willpower. As you're only going to take them as minors and you're not intending to use Destruction much I don't think this will be a problem, but it may cost you a bit more money to train Willpower to higher levels. I think this will work out fine as well.

quote:

Enchantment is a tricky one. Creating objects is fun, but without a really high Enchant skill you'll be failing very frequently. Creating constant-effect items is almost impossible even with 100 Enchant - you need to use potions or spells to boost your Intelligence and Luck to ridiculous levels to even have a chance.

However, the second - usually overlooked - function of Enchant can be handy: you can use trapped souls to recharge items. A medium to high Enchant skill will allow you to recharge items with a reasonable chance of success, so this can be handy in the field.

In my opinion it is better to take a more useful skill that will help over your entire game, rather than taking one skill in preparation for being able to do something in the distant future! But the choice is yours.
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:22 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

mmm... This is what I'm thinking so far

Either Breton or Imperial

Major
1. Long Blade
2. Medium Armor (I considered Light Armor but I want the extra Endurance)
3. Marksman
4.? (maybe Speechcraft)
5.?

Minor
1. Sneak
2. Security
3. Illusion
4. Mysticism
5. ? (another magic? or maybe block?)

Sign
I was thinking about the Lady but I heard it was kinda cheap because of the big boost to Endurance and Personality and I don't want the game to be too easy.

Specialization
I'm torn here also.

Primary Attributes - Luck and Speed because there's no Luck governed skills and few Speed ones.
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:41 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I think I got it....

Imperial - Explorer type

Major
1. Long Blade
2. Medium Armor
3. Marksman
4. Speechcraft
5. Enchant (More for fun than anything)

Minor
1. Sneak
2. Security
3. Illusion
4. Mysticism
5. Block

I really wanted Alteration as well but everyone keeps telling me it's so easy to increase that I should keep it a Misc. Also, I don't have any skills governed by Speed, is this going to hurt me? I am choosing Luck and Speed as primary attributes to boost them.

Specialization- Magic Arts

Opinions are welcome.
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:32 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Looks like a solid build to me. You won't be starting with many skills in the 40's, but you'll have more than usual in the 20's. Give it a try- there's nothing to say you can't trash it and start over if it doesn't develop like you expect.
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:52 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Thanks. I think I'm keeping that character. I'm going to bring Enchant down to Minor and bring Block up to Major but otherwise I think that's going to be it.

.... just need to decide on a Birthsign...
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:55 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Don't spend too much time agonising over what skills to train in. Almost regardless of what skills you choose your character will end up being powerful enough to play the game effectively. Morrowind is more about exploration and adventure than developing a demigod. It's easy enough to create an "uber" avatar ... by min/maxing stats but once you start on that path you begin to lose focus on what the game is actually about. And it probably will spoil your fun ultimately.

It's actually more fun to play an avatar with a perceived "weaker" set of skills. The initial challenge will be more interesting.

For what it's worth my main character is as follows:

Dark Elf ( Dunmer )

Major: Long Blade, Marksman, Heavy Armour, Restoration, Alchemy
Minor : Alteration, Mysticism, Athletics, Speechcraft, Armourer.
Birthsign : The Lady.

I chose not go with "block" skill ...because I only wield two-handed swords
Post Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:49 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I think you misunderstand me a little. I'm not trying to create an uber character, just one that is fun for me. I don't even want to take the Lady as my birthsign because I think it gives too much of a boost. I'm definitely not looking to be a power gamer.
Post Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:28 pm
Scribelus
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Power gaming can make Morrowind very boring!

I played a very magical Breton (sign of the Apprentice), but put in combat skills "for later" - I didn't use them at all until my strength was high (maximizing stat gains by doing a lot of jumping and running before levelling up). Magic is fun because it gives you lots of tactical options, but in the end melee combat is more powerful.

One of the most dangerous things in Morrowind is buying enchantments on your equipment. I made the mistake of creating powerful equipment just because it was possible (if you take the time to make money), but then I had to throw it away because I could kill any monster in one or two blows before it even saw me. In the end a few bonusses to speed, jump and strength are enough.
Post Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:10 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3