Usergroups
Gadgeteers and changing classes..need info
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
madglee
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Hi. I haven't tried to change classes yet and the instruction book doesn't give a lot of info. If you change class do you keep the skills of your old class then start at lvl 1 as the new one or what..info, please. Also, can anyone combine objects, but gadgeteers can just do it better? I'm considering changing my ranger to a gadgeteer but am not sure what would happen. Please help. Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: madglee on 2002-02-22 11:38 ]
Post Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:37 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Generaly you can combine items (such as hook and rope). But there is a lot things only gadgeteer can use (all of them are "modern" things such as chips, laser_like weapons etc.).
To your second question. I am looking forward for answer also, because I did not tryied it yet and I wander if Wiz8 has AD&D system like BG (if you change to other class, your current class will be inactive until you reach same + 1 level in second class you choosed).
Post Fri Feb 22, 2002 9:09 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Important:
You do not need gadgeteer for quests (I think) and surely you do not need him for important quests.
My opinions:
- it can be interesting to try him...
- because you can create only 6 characters, gadgeteer is maybe useful but not useful enough (for me of course).
Post Fri Feb 22, 2002 9:11 pm
madglee
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Okay thanks, that's good to know about the combos and how useful he is. Just seems like it would be fun to try one, but I want to know if I'd lose my ranger's ability to, for instance, scout for hidden stuff or what.
Post Fri Feb 22, 2002 9:45 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Normal AD&D rule (used in Baldurs Gate1+2, Icewind Dale...) is this:
if you change to another class:
- you must be at least level 2 in some class to be able to change to another one
- there are many classes that can not be combined
- number of exp. and level in class you was is locked for "eternity"
- you start with level 1 in second class
- your first class will be inactive until you reach same + 1 level in second class
- then both classes with all abilities will be active
- there will be "item" limitations (if you will wear some armor as cleric, you will not be able to use sneak skill as thief...)

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-02-22 16:20 ]
Post Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:18 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I find the gadgeteer I have extremely useful, although he is hardly irreplacable. He's got a nice bonus to modern weapons, and has his own gun (OmniGun) that he tweaks whenever he levels up. It fires rocks and darts, and can blind opponents (at his current relatively low level). I don't know if you get one of those guns if you change to a gadgeteer, but I think the gadgeteer would be useless without it.

The gadgeteer is my long-ranged weapons master, and a decent lockpicker. He levels quite fast, the same as a fighter or rogue. I haven't reached the point of ever combining items, but I'm excited to find out what a microwave chip combines with
Post Mon Feb 25, 2002 5:01 pm