Author Thread
suxela
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

1H better than 2H

Just some thinkin' about Gothic2 & NOTR

1H are better than 2H

a) 1h weapon caracteristics :
- can hit faster like at a normal rate 10:10 (let's say)
- best 1h weapon(dmg. considered) acoording to
http://worldofgothic.com/gothic2/?go=addonwaffen
is "Ore Dragon Slayer (dmg. 160,str. 140,rng. 100)
- can keep the rythm of combat even with the fastest creatures
(very important !!!)

b) 2h weapon caracteristics :
- can hit at 7:10 rate (let's say ) ,i.e it's slower than the 1h
- - best 2h weapon(dmg. considered) acoording to
http://worldofgothic.com/gothic2/?go=addonwaffen
is Berserker's Axe (dmg. 200,str. 170, rng. 90) ,so even a lower
range than the 1h .You may go for range with "Large Ore Dragon
Slayer" but it has only 180 dmg(only +20 compared with the 1h one)
- it's considerably slower ,you may fail to keep the rythm of the battle
and you'll get hit (very important !!!)

Finally, for 10 hits with str. 200 , specific skill at 100%, the efficiency is :

1h=(160 + 200str )*10=3600 (10 hits in X time ,criticals with 200 strength)
2h=(200 + 200str )*7= 2800 (7 hits in X time ,criticals with 200 strength)

Some may argue tha 7:10(2h/1h) is not a correct rate but you may use 9:10,
and is still ok.So,the deciding factor is caracter's strength which is more than the difference of damage between the 2 weapons and gets added with every critical.So , more hits ,more time the strength gets added to the total damage.

Even more: 1h is available faster than 2h (lower strength required) and if
hand-made I assume that will require less materials.
However the best quality that 1h have it's the speed at which they allow you to hit so you'll not get caugth out of position by a fast ennemy.
The same , between bow & crossbow the first is better because the dex. skill gets more times added to the total damage in the same unit of time.But
the crossbow ,i think, it's a good ranged weapon for those caracters who go for strength and melee combat primarly.
So,I'll make my char using only 1h weapons
Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:47 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I thing is it's most of the time a matter of taste. I like playing a merc with a two-handed weapon. The armor and the weapon on his back just fit together.

The 20 damage more or less is something that doesn't make any difference in the end. Most of the time I use the Large Ore Dragon Slayer, because it also gives a bonus of 10% and the range is something that comes in handy.

The lower striking rate and with it the other rythm is just something to get used too. You'll probably end up blocking more often with a two-hander, because you get interrupted easier. When fighting an orc elite in NotR I always block! Those guys are tough.
Post Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:35 am
Gotit
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I fully agree with sem it's quite more complicated than just a hit rate.

In general 2H are just more difficult to use but once you learn and get used to them, they rule at any skill level.

Like said sem the higher range is something you can exploit much more than show pure numbers. Also as he said real faster chaining of hit will not work on many foes. Additinaly that parrying that will break the chain speed, having a little delay before next hit without breaking the chain is quite an adventadge and with 2H the delay can be quite big and then quite usefull. All in all the fast brutal brainless series of hit is rarely the best fighting technic and that's where 1H lost a lot of their adventadge.

Your computing is wrong because it doesn't take in account protection. 30 more damage is more in percentage than you can think against heavy armored oponents. I even suspect that 2H has an additional bonus there or it's vs dex sword they has this adventadge.

I strongly suspect the numbers you get doesn't match NOTR:
- First point, at skill above 60, 2H the speed difference isn't obvious at all between 2H and 1H.
- Second point with higher weapons, it's a plus for 1H, for me many 1H get a range mostly equal to 2H but with my mage I couldn't get the opportinuty to use all 2H (only some up to 140 str requirement).

My advice is before giving up 2H give them a chance and try learn them. For startup find your way into the monastery and buy the Staff with hit 70 with only str 40 requirement (another option is the other staff hit 60 str 30), that's an interesting option with any character before enter in a guild.
Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:32 am