Rumor: Infogrames to buy JoWooD?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Rumor: Infogrames to buy JoWooD?

Amongst the austrian business community, there are rumors that JoWooD could be bought by Infogrames in the very near future. As you know, JoWooD was close to being shut down due to financial problems, but banks allowed JoWooD (publisher of Gothic 2 and Arx Fatalis) to continue due to a restructuringh plan. JoWooD and Infogrames alre already connected by Dynamic System, which they own together. It is also said that JoWooD's CEO Andreas Tobler has close connections to Infogrames.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:08 pm

Contrary to today's Press speculation in the Austrian business newspaper "Wirtschaftsblatt", JoWooD AG re-affirms that it is an "on going concern". Closer colaboration with mutual partners is intended as a mid-term strategy. This however, has no impact on the focus of JoWooD's restructuring strategy.

JoWooD is firmly commited to its restructuring plan initiated at the begining of 2002. The implementation of which, is proceeding according to plan.

JoWooD Productions Software AG
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:42 pm

Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Interesting. While you're here, is there any chance of an estimate of when the English version of Gothic 2 will be released? I know of a lot of people who would be very happy with an confirmed date.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:16 pm
Applebrown
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Representative from JoWood,

As you may know, Gothic II's positive presence in the gaming community here in North America, at least initially what was due to the European release, is coming to an end. Recent rumors of Gothic II's further delay have caused a slight negative stir here, and a furthering lack of interest.

I'm sure you well know, that despite JoWood's restructuring, releasing the game that many North American's already know is well worth a regular price purchase, in a timely manner, can only help your position. At the same time, delaying it further than absolutely necessary could significantly hinder your chances, as the chances of it going budget sooner will be greater and the reviews here in North America, less positive.

As a fan of good games myself, I'd like to see both the game and the publisher be successful, promoting further success for everyone involved. Wishing you good times,

Applebrown
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:59 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I still think positively about G2, and I will buy it when it comes out, be it a month or a year from now. I don't know why some presume to speak for others. I am sure Jowood will get G2 out as soon as they can.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:24 pm
Applebrown
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Many people will still buy the game when it finally releases. The question is, how much will they pay, and how many will buy the longer it's delayed? I don't presume to speak for everyone, but it's not too difficult to notice general trends of thought and contentment among similar groups of people, such as those who post about the game here and in other newsgroups and who are looking forward to it like me.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:42 pm

I don't know why this is such a big deal for G2. Games are delayed all the time, and a few month extra is nothing. No reason to be vindictive and threaten not to buy it.

DOOM3 will be a huge seller despite nearly a decade lapse since DOOM2.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:15 pm

Applebrown
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Vindictive? Threats? A little melodramatic aren't you?

There are no threats, just real circumstances. Ever heard the phrase windows of opportunity?

Anyway, I hope it does good here, for the developer's sake.

Your argument about D3 though, makes little to no sense.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:45 pm

If you read this thread or others like it, you will see terms like suicide and boycot tossed around, so no, I don't think I am being melodramatic.
http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17611&start=0

Anyway, DOOM3 is a sequel like Gothic2 is a sequel, and the time between previos release is much greater for D3 than G2, and I don't thing it will hurt sales of D3.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:56 pm

Applebrown
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

As you may know Doom 3 hasn't been in development since the last version was released. It wasn't known there WAS going to be a D3 until not too long ago, within the normal development time for a game. The reason it's going to be huge is not because it's a sequel, but it's the sequel to one of the most popular gaming franchises in history, and it has GREAT press and graphics and is by ID. Three things.

The reason this argument makes little sense is because the amount of time between versions has no (edit: little) bearing on whether a game is successful or not. As long as Doom 3 is up to date (and it will be), and has good marketing (which it does) and good press (which it has), and comes from a fine pedigree of games (which it does), the game will be huge. D3's possible success has _nothing_ at all to do with G2's possible success. There are many sequels that horribly bomb.

G2 has already been released. This is the point I was driving at. Localization is taking too long. It may be "slightly" outdated when it hits. Key word is "may". There will be a better selection of games out at the time (and there will be... over summer a TON more). A window of opportunity, the spring, has been missed, strictly in my opinion. That's all. Others agree, but now I'm stating it as my own.

I'm trying to look at it from a business perspective, not from an eager fan's.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:31 pm

gothic II already released?!!! please do tell!

ok gothic II has been released?!! ok this is something i need to know and where to get it and i dont mean buy it online unless they can ship it to my place in less that 48 hours. i would like to know if it is really released or if apple brown is just pulling our leg. please POST I NEED TO KNOW!
Post Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:26 am

Applebrown
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

It's common knowledge that it's been released. In Europe. I wouldn't have the first clue where to look to buy it.
Post Sun Mar 16, 2003 2:50 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

The German version has been released. It was released at the end of November 2002.
Post Sun Mar 16, 2003 8:12 am