Usergroups
I DON'T GET IT! (Armor in MW)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

There's a difference between the Demigod and my Dwarf and Ogre plug in. I made the dwarf and ogre on the exact same point system as all the other races. If they're good at something, they're wretched at something else. The ogre male starts with a 70 strength and 70 endurance... and everything else is 20 or 30 maximum. And if you take the ogre birthsign I put in (mark of the brute) your personality is... uh... 10. Most people won't even talk to you. The dwarf is a redguard with a 60 endurance and lower personality... both races have 30 speed which means nobody in their right mind would play them, anyways.

The dwarf is, however, 95/75/50 resistant to common/blight/corpus diseases, and 75% resistant to poison. Don't know how much effect that will have on game balance in the long run (not much I suspect as another character I have created a spell that provides the same resistances without much difficulty).

The ogre is 20% resistant to normal weapons. I thought that meant he took 4/5 damage from every hit... fact is, though, I've never seen any message ever fire saying he's resisted the attack. I know monsters count as unarmed which ignore resistance to normal weapons, but the guys with the chitin daggers hitting me 20 times a minute should at least get blocked a few times.

Still beta-ing the plug in.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed May 15, 2002 12:43 pm
Juz'la

Something everyone forgot to mention is that light armor builds the agility skill while medium/heavy armor builds the endurance skill. As a rogue based character there are only a few skills that build agility (important attribute to your class) such as light armor and sneak. If your trampin' around in medium/heavy armor (which is building endurance and the said skill every time you fight) your neglecting your agility and relying solely on sneak. Keep in mind that skills and attribs cap in this game and when they do so (ie. all your major/minor and or attribs) your "lock out" at that level and no longer advance.

It is entirely possible to cap out your skills while advancing very little in your major/minor skills which begs the question: Why play that class in the first place?

Just some thoughts.

Juz'la Ironstar . Dark Elf Archon of the Great House Redoran.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 12:49 pm

Juz'la:

No offense, but the heavy-armor-rogue has been just a not MW relevant example of powergaming. A (3/4 Fighter + 1/4 Mage) char is focus of interest.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 12:52 pm

EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Marksman is good for building up agility. Always good to blow those damned birds out of the sky with my crossbow before I walk a few more steps and hear 'clank' as one of them bounces off my armor.

I don't see maxing my primary/secondary skills any time soon. Let's see... my primaries started at about 50 each.... so that's 5 levels gained from each of them... my secondaries started at about 20 each... so... that's 8 from each of them. 25 + 40... hmm. So I can't get higher than level 66?

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Wed May 15, 2002 12:59 pm
yeesh
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen

I don't see maxing my primary/secondary skills any time soon. Let's see... my primaries started at about 50 each.... so that's 5 levels gained from each of them... my secondaries started at about 20 each... so... that's 8 from each of them. 25 + 40... hmm. So I can't get higher than level 66?

Da. The level cap, such as it is, is based on where your 10 maj/minor skills start out. ~66 is definitely conceivable though it will vary from character to character.

Let's not forget that you can use and advance your misc skills people. I fight with a spear and heavy armor, both misc. With training for low level skills being so cheap, there's no reason to put so much thought into whether or not to make such and such skill minor or misc. You can get it to 100 either way. Misc just takes 25% longer...
Post Wed May 15, 2002 1:20 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I can live with a 66 level cap. I'll likely have completed every quest in the game that he is going for and the main plot by the point anyways.

Funny though... start weaker so you can end stronger. Maybe I'll make an everything 30 race with no racial skill aptitudes at some point. Focus in the skill area with the least amount of skills I'll use so the +5 is wasted.... then I could hit 80 or 90 or... or...

Oh wait. What's the difference between 50 with ever major minor at 100 and 90 with every major/minor maxed? Hit points and Magicka? Negliable? Never mind then. I think I'll stick with playing a character who's compotent at first and ends up at a decent level over the frustration of playing a spaz who becomes Emperor of the Universe (though the zero to hero can be fun, too).

And where I put my major/minors is based SOLELY on roleplay elements. I don't give a rats ass at what level I end up or how fast I get here as long as I have fun doing it. The only exception is the Merchandising skill because I got burned a little when it shot to 100 and catapulted me up to level 7 or 8 and my combat skills were skill level 1. Even then I could have pulled off a recovery by training up my combat skills...

Post Wed May 15, 2002 2:00 pm
Wabbit

Wearing too much armor all the time gets you down. Sure a high armor rating is nice, but if you can't pick up everything you want, it sucks. You have to make multiple trips and stuff or leave some stuff behind. My character is level 9 now, I wore some medium armor for the first part of the game to get Endurance up to 80, now I'm switching to light and no armor. My encumbrance limit is 300 but I walk out the door on the road to adventure at a lean and mean 105 lbs. Therefore I get to indulge my desire to pick up every alchemical ingredient, candle, lantern, or weapon I want as I go on my merry little way. Sure my armor rating is in the 20s right now, in fact it goes down when i put on light armor, but I have a load of healing potions and enchanted rings of healing. I make my own potions and a lot of them weigh 0.0 or 0.1. So it works.

Of course if someone else wanted to make different choices I say that's great.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 3:59 pm

Fashtas
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm not sure I really understand this "If you concentrate on X skill, you will be weaker in Y skill" stuff people keep talking about...

In reality, if you, as a mage, concentrate on Long Sword, Axe, Heavy Armour, Shield and Sneaking skills, you will only max those skills out earlier than your mage skills, your mage skills still maxing out, only a little later

If you play this game completly, and explore every single nook and cranny, you should be at 100 in most skills/attributes by the end

I have done 2 main a story quests so far (one accidently) and explored fully only 2 minor towns and partialy 2 larger ones, and am at level 23 already with primary skills 60+

Note: I *DID NOT* use any cheats, any "make 1 spell pt spell and cast over and over". I played the game normally. About the oddest thing I have done so far is spending several days making potions and selling them.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 3:42 am
HiroHito
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Arkyn
Dwarf and Ogre!

I'd check out Demi-god & Immortal then probably. I guess some of my main MW character problem would be void then...

What ? I thought there was no Dwarves nor Ogres in MW ! (Please enlighten me).
None can keep us out, and once we're in, there are few that can keep us from our errand, be it burglary, spying, murder, or mayhem. And when our work is done, we scamper away, one rat among thousands.

And not a man the wiser.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 5:32 am
Arkyn

Dwarf, Ogre, Demi-Goof, Immortal are available via Plug-ins/Mods. Those Mods are un-official though, so races might be overpowered/less frequently underpowered and even bugged.

BTW: Started out my Spellblade (75% fighter/ 25% mage) and he is doing very well! Dwarven Armor + Open Locks, Heal, Shield, Soul Trap etc. I am very happy with this combination by now.

At the very beginnig I had decent problem with carrying capacity/fatigue. But I 'fixed' this with levels
Post Thu May 16, 2002 8:17 am

EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Beta testing on my Morrowind: Ancient Race Revival plug-in is all but done. Dwarf works beautifully and I'm enjoying playing him the most (even if all they're good for is fighters without some hard work. but hey... hard work = fun!). The regenerate stamina over time effect was a bust so I gave them a uh... 300 point stamina recharge spell for 1 magicka. It's called second wind and being tireless doesn't affect much (I tested and tested and tested with 0 stamina to max). Besides let them run for a long time in heavy armor.

Ogres look cool and pack a mean punch. But Redguards are better. Then again, Redguards are the best fighters going period. Ogres ARE freaking tough though (with the lady sign and a concentration in endurance you can start at 105). They get stuck sometimes in narrow dungeons though (so does the dwarf. then again, so does my Imperial in armor). Especially underwater. And everyone hates them which makes them irritating to play at best... but if you want to start with a 70 strength and smash something with something large and blunt, they're your beast.

Ogre females are probably the 'toughest' spell casters in the game. They can almost have 50s in both willpower and intellegence which makes them heads and heels better than their men (Breton, Dark Elf, High elf... oh hell.. every race besides Argonian are better caster choices, but hey... it's all about style). They're 20 points of strength weaker and there's a bug during the selecting head phase for them that I can't squash... it pops up a nasty sounding message but you can click through it without harm. Wish I could squish it though.

Post Thu May 16, 2002 1:28 pm
The Cruel Meka Alien

Re: Mages/Hard Armor

Morrowind has a bit of an oddly, not to say completly distorted skill/stat system. That also reflects in this part.
Mages with heavy armor at their best, or?

Now, I tell you: Though heavy armor is nice to have, you wont necessarily be happy with it. Even if you are striving for a warrior/mage career.
I have taken an approach as a 2/3 warrior 1/3 mage and am faring VERY well. Did I choose heavy armor? No.
Why? Because the heavy armors suck. Orcish armor is much lighter and offers almost the same protection as daedric. You can jump higher, run quicker and longer ... and you need that.
Light armor is an alternative, but you want your endurance to soar up a bit, as well. So imho medium armor is the best for all.

Now I have remade my character a couple of times coming to certain conclusions. First is: Mana IS important. Especially in the starting.
So choose a high elf, breton, or preferably: any race with apprentice sign.
The magic vulnerability is not much of a loss. Sooner or later your warriormage will be absorbing or reflecting magicka anyways.
Most people call the Lady the strongest sign. That is not true: sooner or later, if correctly played, the stats will be maxxed anyways. It is more important to have the 150 more mana out of the apprentice sign. Alternatives are those signs which will give you permanent, non-spellgiven affects such as the thief or the warrior with boni to defense or offense.

As for the skills: Take one weapon - all have advantages and drawbacks - which requires strength, take block (a must), medium armor, restoration and conjuration.
Secondaries are your choice, but beware of multiplying too many stats and or taking "uncontrollable" skills such as running or too many armorskills.

Btw.: As in Daggerfall, the Morrowind premade classes are far of from being all powerful. Putting a little thought in, lets you grip that ultimate career that you were longing for.

And last: Roleplay? In a single player game? Someone must have way too much time. But please: Tell me why roleplaying while noone is takin notice is such a blast. I *love* to have a good laugh .
Post Sat May 18, 2002 4:41 pm

EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

It's such a blast because *I'm* taking notice. I bought the game, I'm spending hours in it, and I don't want to simply hack apart monsters or create the 'perfect' character. That's what D2 on battlenet was for to slake my uber-munchkin perfect character needs. My choice, my style. Everyone is different. I could say explain to me the appeal of creating a perfect character when nobody else notices that either. Bragging rights? Why play single player at all if it's about peer recognition? But the fact is... who gives a damn why you do? Everyone lives their lives differently and plays their games differently.

I want a story. I want to feel like my character is a part of that story instead of a force of nature which blows through dragging the story kicking and screaming in his wake. I want to supplement the pretty visuals on screen with the flawless visuals in my head. I want to assign voices and personalities to the voiceless and flat NPCs and silent protagonist. Maybe I like to do these things because I'm a science fiction and fantasy writer... maybe because I like using my imagination... maybe because I'm an idiot or loser. Who cares?

I impress myself when I stick to a character concept. In the end to each of us who ELSE is there to impress or make take notice?

Post Sat May 18, 2002 5:20 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2