First Impressions
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
casey94
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Lower System Specs

Do you think running the game on a 1.3GHz Athlon with a GEForce 2 MMX will be a lot worse than the sytem you quoted ?? I have latest NVidia drivers so Im hoping it will be okay with not too much turned down.
Also is eating food/drinking an important part of playing i.e. for fatigue etc or does it not matter.

I am getting really excited now about getting it (Next week I think)

Foxfire
Post Thu May 02, 2002 10:17 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

GForce 2MX is big problem.

I think that for this game it is better to have 700 Mhz Duron and GForce 3 Ti than 1400+ CPU and GForce 2MX.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 10:46 am
Nietchse

Very nice first impressions i must say.Very informative and intresting thank you for the the thoughts.Hmm i must also say this board is much better than the Offical MW forums the people here are much more mature and well spoken.Now if i would get of my lazy butt and register.Anyhow i will be posting my initial thoughts and observations later today here rather than the offical forums.People here are much more appreciative and understanding of peoples views.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 11:02 am

casey94
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Poor System !!!

Thanks for your comments I do appreciate them - However I am afraid I will have to live with what I have as I cannot afford a GE3 or 4 for a while.

Just as a matter of interest how do I get a cool graphic to show against me as opposed to the one I get by default.

Foxfire
Post Thu May 02, 2002 11:49 am
claras
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

must have game..........

Can't wait, must buy game now arrghhhhhhh when is the game going to be relased in DK?

And I thought waiting for the GF4 ti-4200 would be hard........
Post Thu May 02, 2002 1:52 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

(sigh) I will have to wait until they deliver Morrowind to the Boondocks where I live
Post Thu May 02, 2002 2:03 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I ever wanted to visit USA. Probably I should do it now .
Post Thu May 02, 2002 2:57 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Nietchse
the people here are much more mature and well spoken

I hope you are not talking about good English or I should go away .
Post Thu May 02, 2002 2:58 pm
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
quote:
Originally posted by Nietchse
the people here are much more mature and well spoken

I hope you are not talking about good English or I should go away .
Me too.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Thu May 02, 2002 3:10 pm
Dreadloch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Reading this stuff is great, folks. It is funny, but I had almost forgotten about how obsessed I was with Daggerfall awhile ago, and how much I really missed that game. It is the only game I can recall completely being cool with the bugs and problems. The game was so worth the occasional hassles.

Now with Morrowind arriving (today via FedEx), I am completely obsessed again. Sure, I was completely into Dark Age of Camelot for a long while, but aside from the social aspect, it is a rather empty RPG experience. I am hacking through Dungeon Siege now, and despite how cool it looks and plays, I grow weary of killing things over and over again. Baldurs Gate I and II were fun, but went unfinished due to sheer frustration and burnout.

Daggerfall was the first RPG I ever finished (completed the main quest, that is). After all I have heard about Morrowind, I can hardly think straight in anticipation of its arrival, and your comments here are only encouraging my insanity even more.

Sure, life goes on. I have a lot of things to do aside from gaming. But getting Morrowind sort of feels like coming home again on the PC, and once more embarking on a whole new and great experience in those moments I can spend playing it.

This is too cool! Keep those posts coming in!
Post Thu May 02, 2002 3:56 pm
neptiofpovar

A bit on Endurance and Quest System

quote:
Originally posted by Snoekie
I got a question about combat though: when you get too tired and fall down from fatigue, how do you regain your stamina/fatigue?

As Rendelius already pointed out, unless you have either some food, or a potion, or a spell to help get your endurance back up, there isn't much you can do. I didn't have any of that stuff in the first encounter where this happened to me, so yep I just had to sit there and pretty much get the crap kicked out of me. Creates a good self-imposed quest... go now and find stuff so that you can replenish endurance...

I wanted to touch a bit more on the 'secret stash' quest and why I think such a simple quest hints at the potential of quests in Morrowind. If you didn't read what I wrote earlier about the 'Secret Stash' in this thread go read it now.

If you consider the mechanics of the quest, it is quite complex.

First, even if you find the secret stash before you get the quest, it will be empty. This demonstrates a detailed awareness the game system has as to what is going on with quests you have or don't have.

Next, there was a time condition. You had to wait until nightfall.

Then, you had to be in a certain location, in this case, up on the lighthouse.

Finally, once you were in the right place at the right time, the actual 'sneaking around' of the npc occured in which you witness this NPC travel to his stash, thereby 'activating' the stash so that when you would go to it it would be filled with goodies.

Also, special mention of the 'witnessing' of this NPC's actions is worth detailing. The lighthouse goes up fairly high, and is considerably set back from the area below where you witness the 'sneaking' npc. What was amazing was the clarity of it all. I could see, clearly, the NPC sneaking about. The NPC's posturing, and the NPC's sneaky style of walking was a clear indication that you were witnessing the quest in action, you have no doubt about it. But even beside this NPC's sneaky walk, you could still make out the NPC's clothing features to recognize this NPC as well. And like I said, you are up high and set back from the scene in which all this occurs, yet you can still make out this specific NPC from the 2 or 3 others that were in view. Very VERY cool.

All these play mechanics and detail hint that this was just a quest sampler because even I can think of numerous complex ways to implement quests based on the few mechanics I detailed here.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 4:02 pm

neptiofpovar

Water and Endurance and Quest Mechanics

WATER

Like I mentioned earlier, with graphic settings set to max, water surface is just amazing. However, underwater looked a bit drab. To help better explain what I mean when I say 'underwater features' I can say this; When I went underwater in the one place that I've done that which was in the starting town, there just weren't that many underwater features; slopes, rocks, coral, caves, there wasn't any of this. It was just kinda flat and featureless. That's all I mean by this. The washed out look of being underwater is totally understandable. But by featureless I just meant that it was just a flat bottom basically. But again, this is just 1 teeny tiny water location in the starting town. Could get more interesting and if land detail is any indication, I'm certain there will be plenty of neat underwater settings.

ENDURANCE

quote:
Originally posted by Snoekie
I got a question about combat though: when you get too tired and fall down from fatigue, how do you regain your stamina/fatigue?

As Rendelius already pointed out, unless you have either some food, or a potion, or a spell (and possibly other unknown items) to help get your endurance back up, there isn't much you can do. I didn't have any of that stuff in the first encounter where this happened to me, so yep I just had to sit there and pretty much get the crap kicked out of me. Creates a good self-imposed quest... go now and find stuff so that you can replenish endurance...

QUEST MECHANICS

I wanted to touch a bit more on the 'secret stash' quest and why I think such a simple quest hints at the potential of quests in Morrowind. If you didn't read what I wrote earlier about the 'Secret Stash' in this thread go read it now.

If you consider the mechanics of the quest, it is quite complex.

First, even if you find the secret stash before you get the quest, it will be empty. This demonstrates a detailed awareness the game system has as to what is going on with quests you have or don't have.

Next, there was a time condition. You had to wait until nightfall.

Then, you had to be in a certain location, in this case, up on the lighthouse.

Finally, once you were in the right place at the right time, the actual 'sneaking around' of the npc occured in which you witness this NPC travel to his stash, thereby 'activating' the stash so that when you would go to it it would be filled with goodies.

Also, special mention of the 'witnessing' of this NPC's actions is worth detailing. The lighthouse goes up fairly high, and is considerably set back from the area below where you witness the 'sneaking' npc. What was amazing was the clarity of it all. I could see, clearly, the NPC sneaking about. The NPC's posturing, and the NPC's sneaky style of walking was a clear indication that you were witnessing the quest in action, you have no doubt about it. But even beside this NPC's sneaky walk, you could still make out the NPC's clothing features to recognize this NPC as well. And like I said, you are up high and set back from the scene in which all this occurs, yet you can still make out this specific NPC from the 2 or 3 others that were in view. Very VERY cool.

All these play mechanics and detail hint that this was just a quest sampler because even I can think of numerous complex ways to implement quests based on the few mechanics I detailed here.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 4:06 pm

Nietchse

LOL by well spoken i meant everyone expresses them self very well with out having to talk like L33T DEWDZ or resort to cussing every other word.Just visit the offical forums and you will know what i mean that place is like a kindergarten class.Hehe belive me im not talking about good english i live in the USA and my grammer is horrible.

Hmm first impressions lets see i just got the game about an hour ago so i cant say much as of yet.The water looks excellent but looks a bit out of place compared to the terrain.You see the beautiful water then you see it meet up with the not so hot looking land but im not complaing i just looks a little strange.Weather effects sky and overall atmosphere are very well done.Lots of items all over the place and the great part is you can steal everyone one of them well thats if you dont get caught.The music is very well done as well as the voice acting and sound effects.

The menus are nicely done and easy to use.Load times are short when entering houses or changeing areas.Dialouge is well done there are plenty of options when you speak to npcs.Purchaseing merchandise is straight foward and easy to use there is even a nice little bartering system as well so you can haggle them down tto a lower price if you have the proper skills.
Hmmm combat cant comment on that really i took a swim and immedialy attack by a very evil looking fish that i proceded to kill with my dagger.From what i can gather combat is simple yet effective.

Spell effects look nice but i cant for the life of me figure out how to regenerate magica.The summon spells are extremly neat looking.I summoned some type of ancestoral ghost that looked great better than the charachers them selves.So far it looks to be a good game but i cant really say after only an hour with the game but what i will say is the game gives you a feel like there are alot of options open to you and the world is yours for the taking.

I will post more after i have some more time with the game but i will leave you with one last thing and thats how does MW perform on my particular system.First off i will say MW is a demanding game and will bring alot of systems to thier knees.

1 GHZ Athlon T-Bird(200 mhz FSB version)

MSI K7T-PRO (6330)

512 MB PC 133

MSI Geforce 3 64MB @210 480

SB Live

Maxtor 30 GB 7200 RPM HD

Win 2000 PRO SP #2

Im running no other apps in the back ground other than what is needed by WIN 2k and FSAA is disabled.All the latest drivers.BIOS is tweaked for optimal performance as well.

Running MW @

1024x768

Shadows Off

View Distance a notch above 3 quarters

AI Slider set to default

Pixel Shaders On

I would not say it runs smooth at these settings but it runs simply ok with a bit of chop when making fast turns and in crowded areas or when casting spells.I would prefer it to run smooth but i shall have to wait until i get a new CPU.

BTW anyone know how to rest so i can regenate my Magica.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 4:20 pm

bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

WHAT? you people already have the game??

PLEASE let the game get soon here in Holland.............
Post Thu May 02, 2002 4:27 pm
Warmaster-Horus
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Did you take the atronach as a birthsign?
I don't think you can regenerate Magika if you do, you have to absorb it

=Leader of the Horus Heresy=
=Champion of Khorne=
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD SKULLS FOR THE THRONE
Post Thu May 02, 2002 4:49 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next