A small Alchemy FAQ/Walkthru
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
Mosman22
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

A small Alchemy FAQ/Walkthru

Was going to post this yesterday in response to a question about alchemy, but I ended up writing a lot, and then the rpgdot server crashed. So here it is today as its own topic...

Here's a summary of how alchemy works:

If you just eat a plant by dragging it onto your character the first effect listed happens (if there is more than 1).

But to really take advantage and increase your alchemy skills you need to atleast buy, steal or find a mortar & Pestle item. Once you have that, drag it onto your character portrait to bring up the mixing window. Click on any of the second row boxes and you will be shown a list of all the ingrediants you currently have. Select one. Then repeat for a second box. The trick is to pick 2 different ingrediants that have the same attribute. You can't combine 2 of the same kind of ingrediant. When you do have a suitable pair the power(s) gets listed in the box on the right-hand side. Try to avoid picking a pair that also includes a pair of negative attributes. You can then try to mix them. The success rate seems to be based on your alchemy skill you there is always a chance it might fail, costing you both ingrediants with nothing in return. Atleast until the skill gets to 100 I guess (I'm only at around 60 so far).

The power of the potion you create isn't as dependent on your ability as the quality of the equipment you are using. Those Mortar & Pestles come in Apprentice, Journeyman, Master, and Grand Master flavors. There are also 3 other related items that can be found or bought (Calcinator & 2 others - check your game manual) and influence the potion's power. They also come in those 4 power levels. But watch out for the weight. The calcinator in
particular starts at like 25.0 for the apprentice version (but better versions are also lighter thankfully).

You may wonder if mixing ingrediants to make a potion of "paralyzation" or "poison" can be used to your benefit. Sorry, but you can't throw the things at enemies. So unless there is some quest where you are susposed to make a poison potion and poison somebody (which would be pretty cool idea Mod creators - feel free to use it), such combinations are to be avoided.

One of the small problems with Morrowind is that potions of different power levels cannot be combined into one slot on your inventory. And potions of the same kind aren't even placed next to each other. So as you get better equipment, if you don't constantly use up your older potions you will end up with a huge pile of badly organized potions, making it tough to find the one you are looking for. Plus you might end up using the first one you find instead of a weaker one that would have done the job.

I think that pretty much covers it. Though feel free to add more below if you know of anything I missed.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 4:42 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Moved to spoiler forum.

Nice article, but big spoiler, you alone call it walktrough and walktrough is usually general spoiler.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 4:52 pm
Mosman22
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I tend to think of spoilers as when plot details are told or a person tells you exactly where to find that major quest item. I don't see a detailed explanation to how a feature of the game works as a spoiler. But hey, it is your perogative. So be it.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 5:37 pm
olaf

Alchemy download link

Here is a link to an alchemy recipe document I made.

http://home.swbell.net/olaf73/Alchemy.rtf

It is 3 sections. You need to set your margins to .5" all around and word wrap to the ruler for best formating. If you dont, it will wrap wrong and look crappy. I used wordpad to make it, but it looks and prints fine from word 2000 as well.

The first section is the reagents and their positive and negative effects, and which effect you get if you eat the reagent. The second section tells you each reagent's positive effects and what to pair it with to make it. It is a lot of info, and as such the format suffers. The third section is a recipe list.

olaf
Post Tue May 07, 2002 10:50 pm

Excellent post. And Olaf, I think I love you man. Now I have something to read on the subway.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 4:47 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Olaf, this is very nice work. Thanks for link .
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:16 pm
Cyttorak

One hitch...

I thought that the system worked in this manner, too. I think that I mixed a third reagent into an existing pair and got a negative effect that *was not listed under any individual reagent*. If I am remembering correctly, then you can get some funky stuff out of mixing different things...it might even be possible to get a "restore strength" potion from reagents that dont include that attribute, for example.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 3:51 pm