Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Just finished Fallout II... Playing it again with a twist!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Fallout

Author Thread
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Just finished Fallout II... Playing it again with a twist!

Hey all, I'm not sure if y'all remember me, but I used to post here last summer until I went back to university and stopped playing computer games for a while. But it is summer again, so I finally got around to trying Fallout 2, and man, was I impressed!

(WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD)

There are SO many different ways to go about things in this game (New Reno being a great example), and I love how the gradient between good and evil becomes even more blurred in Fallout 2 (as compared with the original). For example, I was seriously debating whether or not to expose New California Republic's dealings with Bishop (and the mercenary raiders) to try to pressure Vault City to join them. I thought about the ramifications it would have on the world, about how NCR was so much more preferable than Vault City (mainly because of Vault City's slavery), but also how NCR was essentially resorting to criminal thugs to achieve their admirable goals. I finally decided that the ends did not justify the means and reported the evidence of the shady dealings to Vault City, who in the ending were not absorbed by NCR and were in fact continuing on with their slavery. Awesome! Actually, it was a bummer, as doing the right thing (IMO) led to an unhappy result, but dang, it felt like REAL ROLE-PLAYING!

In the end, I ended up playing a karmic gunfighting avenger of a character (probably what most people end up doing), trying to do good but not hesitating to slaughter evil-doers (i.e. all slavers except for Vault City were dead by the time I was through with the Wasteland).

I had such a splendid time that I knew I had to play it again. This time, I am playing a charming and brilliant female pacifist, who will strive to do right by the world, but WILL NOT KILL A SINGLE LIVING BEING. Hehehe, I have already made it to Vault City with my lovely gal, and true to her beliefs, she does not have a single kill to her name (not even a rat!). True, she can't do all the quests (like killing that dang Rat God or killing Hakunin's weeds, or protecting those brahmin in Modoc), but in what other RPG can you go through the game without killing anything? I mean, it does take work, as I have to pump up the Sneak ability way high, and Speech is also very critical. I have decided that this girl has no qualms about stealing for her righteous cause, so Lockpick and Steal are also big for her. Even with a Sneak of 130%, she still gets caught sometimes, so she needs the best armor and healing supplies possible as she gets pummeled by geckos and robbers when she runs away. In any case, she has managed to solve quite a few problems without resorting to violence, even the initial Temple of Trials (she just ran by the scorpions and rats, and the guy at the beginning can be talked out of fighting you!).

All in all, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this game. Fallout II. Inspired.

Fallout III... please?

- Wind
Post Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:17 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Fallout 2 never impressed me much. Sure, it was pretty funny, and had good variations. But the combat was horrible. You know; turn based and slow.
If I made a bazooka-wielding powerhouse, I could destroy armies BY MYSELF. It was just stupid. ESPECIALLY considering that this was a PARTY-game.

I'm not too big of a fan of a completely classless system like the SPECIAL.

The completely moronic criticals were probably the most annoying thing about the game though. That some weapons can go from 'no damage' to '452 hit point in damage' is simply mind-blowing.

The inventory was pretty lame too.

But anyone who says Wastelands is better than Fallout is just silly.
Post Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:40 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Yes, Fallout 2 is my favorite game of all times (so far, I have high hopes for ToEE). I played that game many many times () and it still surprises me with humor, easter eggs and hidden possibilities. I hope that the current project Van Buren is indeed a F3.
Post Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:37 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@Windwalking - Thanks for reminding me of how much fun this game is, and what a bad idea it was to give it away!

PS - Nice to see you back.
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:39 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

The unfortunate bit is I don't think you can complete the game without killing at least one person in particular.

However, I agree... for the most part playing a pacifist is fun (if you have a lot of hit points and can run/sneak like the wind!).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:18 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

All that talk about Fallout made me reinstalled the game, ahh the turn-based combat, I need so little to be happy. CAN’T…..WAIT……..FOR……..ToEE.
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:12 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
The unfortunate bit is I don't think you can complete the game without killing at least one person in particular.

You can talk the marines into killing him.
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:32 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
quote:

You can talk the marines into killing him.

I did not know that! Very, very cool.
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:48 pm
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Its fun to give yourself the lowest possible intellegence then talk to people, some treat you realy bad. Responses like: "of course your so dumb, you dont understand what I'm saying," and replies like "duh".
LB
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:20 am
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:

However, I agree... for the most part playing a pacifist is fun (if you have a lot of hit points and can run/sneak like the wind!).

Would it be possible to sneak by him or perhaps run by him to the door during combat? Or does the door not open unless he is dead?

- Wind
Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:36 am