opinion on spells
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

opinion on spells

Magic spells in G2 are much improved over G1's. There are scores of them and except for a couple of spells , people's opinions on other spells are quite various. So, what is your opinion:

1. spell that you like the most.

2. spell that is most powerful.

3, spell that is most useful.

4. spell that is most fun.

5. spell that is most disappointed.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:49 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

1. Turn into Scavenger. Scavengers rule!!

2. Wave of Death/Mass Destruction. You can clear out an entire battlefield with it.

3. Lightning (the strong one of course, 20 mana-120 damage). The best spell against orcs. Or Holy Bolt, it's like the improved version of Lightning

4. Shrink Monster

5. All the spells like heavy fireball and large firestorm. Most of the times you can't use those "charge-first" spells, because there's no time to charge the spells.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:08 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

1. Large lightning, it looks so cool.

2. Wave of death, it looks so cool.

3.Holy arrow, the paladin rune, 150 DMG for only 5 mana.

4.Transformation spells + Army of darkness

5. All the fire spells, they are so crap it beggers belief.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:13 pm
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

re: opinion on spells

I forgot to post my own opinion. Here it is:

1. lightning. Sweet and effective even at close range.

2. wave of death. The ultimate spell against crowd. Kill everything.

3. holy missile. Twice as powerful as lightning.

4. Shrink Monster. I got to agree with SEM.

5. breath of death.Big disappointment. This on paper has higher damage than wave of death, but the result is erratic. And the black fog moves slowly blocking the view, also the range is shorter than wave of death.

Last edited by kingsorel on Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:00 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I disagree on firespells. I love rain of fire. You can move around after you cast the spell and the rain moves with you. You can kill awhole bunch of stuff. It costs 60 mana and is as powerful as a fully charged large fireball. It's not as good as wave of death but the point is that it only cost 60 mana instead of 150. It kills dragon snappers and orc warriors at once. Against a group of orc elite though, it takes them down to a little health. However I prefer to use waves of ice on them. I enjoy choping them down one by one.

I would say my favorite spells are rain of fire and wave of ice.

The most disappointing spell is breath of death. That spell doesn't work on beasts at all, and has much small area than rain of fire. That spell only works on humanoid, which is disappointing.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:42 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

I found breath of death to be quite usefull, one hit to kill a troll, but I also found thet for it to do any damage at all the enemy has to know you are ther and be getting ready to attack you, so if you just shoot a random scavenger and it's just stood there it won't effect it, but if it's making it's chicken noises its dead, and so is anything else that is near it.
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:52 pm
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

1: Large fireball, the power of a holy missile early in the game.

2: Wave of death/Mass destuction and holly misile, I used the first to kill every orc around the castle in the VOM, just lured them to me and quickly casted it, even elites are killed instandly.

3: the same as 1.

4:all transformation spells and some summoning spells(If you summon a gollum and skeletons they attack eachother.

5: large fire storm, in GothicI firestorm was devestating, in GothicII it takes ages to charge and hardly does any damages
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:45 pm
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

re: opinions on spells

quote:

I found breath of death to be quite usefull, one hit to kill a troll, but I also found thet for it to do any damage at all the enemy has to know you are ther and be getting ready to attack you, so if you just shoot a random scavenger and it's just stood there it won't effect it, but if it's making it's chicken noises its dead, and so is anything else that is near it.

I think it is due to its shorter range. Its effect also seems directional which is not suitable to use against crowd. To kill a troll, holy missile is a better weapon, since it is a range weapon and requires only 2 shots.

Last edited by kingsorel on Sat May 01, 2004 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:48 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Breath of Death may not be the best spell, but I like it though. Certainly with the Necromancer-armor (marvin ). You look very evil casting that spell.
Post Sat May 01, 2004 9:31 am
Boeman
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Spell casting has been my favorite aspect of Gothic. With tha said, I'm bit a disappointed with the lack of variety in terms of the specific strengths and weaknesses of each spell.

For instance, using wave of death and wave of ice, why would one bother with anything else (novelty being an exception of course)? Rain of fire, breath of death, firestorm and shrink monster have no specific effects of their own to make them anymore attractive than the first two inspite of being in the last circle of magic.

I would have liked to see quests utilize some of the lesser spells more often (on the path of a mage of course) such as sleep or fear. One time required use to get the sacred hammer doesn't quite cut it. Gothic 1 was somewhat better paced in this respect.

Hopefully, there will be more functional effects in Gothic 3 aside from just damage. The ability to charge weapons and armour with spells and weaknesses/invulnerability to certain spells (missing in Gothic 2) would be nice. Hopefully, with improved party member AI, there can be party specific spells such as the ability to heal a campanion or even raise them from the dead. One could use such classics as Ultima for inspiration
Post Tue May 04, 2004 11:43 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Re: opinion on spells

1. I'm kind of undecided here... I really like the Holy Missile because of the sound, but I enjoyed Rain of Fire on many occasions.
  2. Holy Missile.
  3. Rain of Fire.
  4. Rain of Fire, most deffinitely. I was so crazy about runing into a bunch of raging orcs carrying no weapon at all, and then - surprise!
  5. Light. Both kinds. It's just doesn't help; on the contrary, it makes you blind in some situations, and the annoying thing is that you can not disable it until the a certain time elapses.
Post Wed May 05, 2004 12:37 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I never use light, it's annoying. Not only are you blinded by the light it's also right above, because of that you lose a large piece of your view. You can see more in the dark.
Post Wed May 05, 2004 1:31 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by Sem
I never use light, it's annoying. Not only are you blinded by the light it's also right above, because of that you lose a large piece of your view. You can see more in the dark.

My point exactly.
Post Wed May 05, 2004 2:09 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Uhm, when I compare the two posts, it's not much news I posted
Post Wed May 05, 2004 2:13 pm