-=Captain of Militia of RPGDot Shadows=-
-=Leader of Mercenaries of Gothic Rogues=-
-=Proud member of NFG=-
-=Forever one soul of Seekers of Chromanin=-
Post Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:52 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

It is a heartbreaker for us old time cartoon fans, Lady A. But look at the bright side, in a few years they'll release them all in boxed sets and we can pay thru the nose to watch them to our heart's content.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:20 pm
Krzychu
Hidden Character
Hidden Character

This isn't that unexpected, but still... how could they do this?
But when I looked last the old Looney Toones were still up on Cartoon Network. Though I knew something was wrong, when a lot of them seemed to be missing.

@Mercenary: Thanks.
Post Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:33 pm
Amelia
City Guard
City Guard

If they really cared about children's health, they'd educate them to get their arse off the tv to go outside to play and exercise.
Post Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:48 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Armageddona
See here -> http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05048/458932.stm

The Loonatics, my God.

What the-?! Grr...
Post Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:53 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I remember when ADD used to be a medical condition and not a description of society.

That's how I see things now, though. I find myself flicking channels while surfing three forums while listening to music and cooking... if my mind isn't being stimulated I become bored easily. I then realize that I'm becoming bored easily and shut it all down and mediatate or read a book or play a computer game: anything that can absorb all my attention for a while and repair the damage. So many people do NOT realize it, though, especially children.

Waiting for the punchline in the old warner brothers cartoons (especially the punchlines that took you 15 years to figure out) is not for today. Flashy flashy flashy blinky lighty fast fast fast fast blinky flashy look at the pretty flashy lights is for today.

It's a trend that I've noticed pick up speed throughout my life ... and I'm not even 30. Modern media of all types know that if you don't hook someone within 30 seconds you've lost them. Look at news stations like CNN: In the middle you have an anchor talking about a story. Scrolling across the bottom other top headlines. On the side you have weather or sports scores. Beneath the headlines scrolling at the bottom you have stock reports.

Any one of those used to be a news program... and now they're time-sharing your attention span.

I can't shake the feeling that this trend won't end well and I don't know why.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:16 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

All you can do is what you are doing, dont participate. Life's too short for modern television, it induces a form of mind damage in my opinion. Click it on and get your news or whatever, then turn it off. I take what money Id spend on cable on other things I want, and read my news online or listen to a little radio.

Save your mind, disconnect your cable today
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:44 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Just as a follow-up to the whole Loonatic thing... seems we weren't alone is our distaste for it...

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/27/cartoon.controversy.ap/index.html

Hurray for the internet. Occassionally it helps nip stupidity in the bud.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:48 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

Hooray!

What I really miss, is that kids' channels fail to understand something. And that is that what is fixed, should not be broken. What is wrong with older cartoons, things like Pixie Dixie and Mr Jinks, or Looney Tunes, so that they are suddenly not suitable for modern kids? Gosh, 10 years ago they were airing like mad on the Cartoon Network I got (if I remember correctly, it was the Asia one, but that is of little difference) and I simply loved them. Why are they not showing them anymore? Recently, when I was watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, I failed to remember who Huckulberry Hound was! And that got me really troubled.

A nice solution would be to start running an adult or young adult oriented channels that show the cartoons that we loved
Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:30 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2