what the heck ?!?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

what the heck ?!?

What the heck happened to an "early 2004" release? Whats happening? bcuz beta hasnt even begun yet. Online stores now place UXO release date in at least October, while before that it was in April. Gah! I was looking forward to an April release! Now im stuck without an MMO for ANOTHER SIX MONTHS. ><

<is getting tired of waiting for a decent mmo>

<and waiting... and waiting... and waiting... waiting boredly... im so bored...>

<prays for Darkfall beta>
[/spoiler]
Post Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:31 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Chill Ammon. This happens with every game. It's to be expected.
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:06 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Developers need to grow some new cerebral cortexes and not advertise a game as coming out when it probably doesnt even come out on that estimated date in the first place. They should make more realistic estimations -- either that or go back to college and re-take Probability and Statistics...
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:32 am
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Re: what the heck ?!?

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777

<is getting tired of waiting for a decent mmo>

<and waiting... and waiting... and waiting... waiting boredly... im so bored...>

<prays for Darkfall beta>

Me too, but I don't actually think boredly is a word. But as for now, I'm entertaining myself making a NWN mod. And I'm in the beta for that, well with my luck, I probably wont even make a beta tester for my own game.
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:58 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
Developers need to grow some new cerebral cortexes and not advertise a game as coming out when it probably doesnt even come out on that estimated date in the first place. They should make more realistic estimations -- either that or go back to college and re-take Probability and Statistics...

Knowing a few game developers, trust me: this is not something they like to do, it is just part of getting a game published. Usually getting a publishing deal comes down to outright lying to your publisher about when you will achieve each milestone. Once you have the deal it is ok to slowly slip the dates to be more realistic, they are less likely to can a project they have already put some money in. Don't worry, if they are like every other game company out there, they are each working 70+ hours a week and never getting to see their family so that you can get the game on your computer ASAP.

-vaticide
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:36 pm
The wizard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Trust me brother we all got stuck on something and some people just have the luck of not getting stuck.
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:37 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

maybe they should over-estimate and say the game wont come out for another 12 months when they really are thinking 6 months. that way everybody would pleasantly surprised by an early release! instead of pissed off because of yet another delay...
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:03 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Then they wouldn't be able to sell the idea.
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:17 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

hmm, you're right, Val.
Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:45 am
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

In the end youll be happier with the delay. Theres yet to be a mmog that was released "later than necessery".
Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:44 am
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

My newest issue of PC Gamer has a release date of April 16th. How accurate that is I don't know. I also don't know if the move from TX to CA is going to effect the release date.

Also....Have they even started beta?
Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:50 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I dont think beta is even started yet. bcuz both you and me would have recieved info about it since we won that contest. Unless UXO beta is extremely short, meaning most of the game is already finished, i doubt it will make an April release. I mean, it will take at least two weeks to move everything and get things back to the state it was before the move. During that transition, nothing will be worked on aside from maybe recruitment and new design decisions. I for one would like to see UXO become more PvP-focused, like racial wars, ect. That would result in more of a long-term interest for me in the game, instead of my having, as of currently, a rather short-term dedication to UXO.
Post Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:03 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I agree whole-heartedly with my contest winning friend. Maybe not crazy PvP madness like in DF (which we are both desperatly waiting on) but PvP allies and axis type. Humans, Elves can't attack each other nor can Orcs, Gargolyes nor can Phorda and Pixies, but they can all attack any of the other races. Something were you have plenty of safe land and can even freely venture into the other lands at your own risk. But I just think an open PvP adds so much to a game.
Post Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:37 pm