View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by stanthony
Goddamnit! Then what D&D race could impersonate poor Eric? Imagine that he wants to play BG2, and just cannot decide what character would suit him the best... Roleplay after all is about impersonating ordinary people that play it. Such as Cartman, I guess...

A dwarf... on helium.

quote:

About NWN. Eeeeeh... Single player is NOT absolutely bad there. It is just far more simple comparing to BG series or even IWD2. I liked playing it also because it was my first experience with D&D 3rd edition in CRPGs, but overall... No, Kayla, come on, BG does have a better single player mode... However, NWN is totally cool in MP. Right now I'm trying to create an adventure for our usual PnP team... I'm not so certain about results, but the process itself gives me soooo much fun.

I confess I preferred the 6 party system with a more diverse party over youself and a henchman. I had no choice but to go a fighter as I tried a magic user and kept getting beaten up... I had to go a fighter and use Tommy the rogue so I could get all the treasure out of the chests (I am a horder and hate things not being opened) and disarm all the traps. I admit you, you are wise and BG is better the better single player game.

But NWN was still fun and worth playing.

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:30 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Kayla
A dwarf... on helium.

Lovely

quote:
I confess I preferred the 6 party system with a more diverse party over youself and a henchman... But NWN was still fun and worth playing.

No, no, I didn't mean 1 character or 6 character play. What I meant was the real multiplayer with real people. You know, building your modules and playing as a DM to make people mad at you Just like in good old PnP.

Though, I can't say that I prefer party system even when playing all by myself... It is easier, yes. It could be more fun... in a way... But this is all about impersonating again. And imagination. When I create my character I AM this character for this game. In IWD where I could create in the beginning 6 character party I did so... Didn't like it. I can't roleplay for all 6 so very different people. I can't BE those guys and truly feel for them. But, partcularly in IWD I either way found it impossibly hard to play one character as it is more hack'n'slash, than BG. I love group idea in BG - that people may join you or leave you if they wish, just like the real people. And you always have to care about one and only you...
Post Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:54 pm
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
I didn't mean 1 character or 6 character play. What I meant was the real multiplayer with real people. You know, building your modules and playing as a DM to make people mad at you Just like in good old PnP.

I am not good enough to build modules... and real people won't play with me, only my other half.

quote:
Though, I can't say that I prefer party system even when playing all by myself... It is easier, yes. It could be more fun... in a way... But this is all about impersonating again. And imagination. When I create my character I AM this character for this game. In IWD where I could create in the beginning 6 character party I did so... Didn't like it. I can't roleplay for all 6 so very different people. I can't BE those guys and truly feel for them. But, partcularly in IWD I either way found it impossibly hard to play one character as it is more hack'n'slash, than BG. I love group idea in BG - that people may join you or leave you if they wish, just like the real people. And you always have to care about one and only you...

I prefer the 6 party system. One I model on me in my ideal form, and the other's are my friendly companions. It's more fun with the 6 people so you can have conversations with them and hear the funny things they say "no Boo, you are too young to avenge my death" etc. I didn't like Jaheira in BG so I sent her in by herself to get slaughtered in front of Khalid (I didn't like her in BG but she was good in BG2). I didn't like the one henchman in the single player NW game, it's a lot more fun adopting an evil person into a good team and listening to the converation. I do genuinely get very attached to my characters. Women can multi-task better, of course we can control 6 different people at once!

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:52 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
I am not good enough to build modules... and real people won't play with me, only my other half.

Right... You just have to try playing PnP. Give it a try. There're no "real people" in this business. There're just talented people. Fun depends on how good players are in impersonating, and that's all. I'm sure you'll be alright with that. I'd suspect that real problem for you will be to find those "real people" to play with

quote:
I prefer the 6 party system. One I model on me in my ideal form, and the other's are my friendly companions. It's more fun with the 6 people so you can have conversations with them and hear the funny things they say "no Boo, you are too young to avenge my death" etc... Women can multi-task better, of course we can control 6 different people at once!

True, more characters you have, more fun watching them... eeeeh... live. Especially Minsc

Women truly can multitask better, I realized it long time ago, watching my girlfriend handling like ten different problems. She looked weird, and in my mind she was not very effective, but by the end of day, she managed to solve all the problems and even made fun of me building theories of why she won't manage to do everything It is even more interesting to see girls playing PnP. They usually try to be absolutely everywhere, to do everything and to talk to everyone. They usually make nice thieves or bards. Multitasking rules!
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:15 am
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
True, more characters you have, more fun watching them... eeeeh... live. Especially Minsc

Women truly can multitask better, I realized it long time ago, watching my girlfriend handling like ten different problems. She looked weird, and in my mind she was not very effective, but by the end of day, she managed to solve all the problems and even made fun of me building theories of why she won't manage to do everything It is even more interesting to see girls playing PnP. They usually try to be absolutely everywhere, to do everything and to talk to everyone. They usually make nice thieves or bards. Multitasking rules!

Women's multitasking is effective, even if we do look very weird when in multitask tubo mode.

I usually play a fighter (get rid of some aggression ) or a mage. But I do always have a rogue so nothing gets left in a locked chest. I want everything!!!! And you have to talk to everyone!!!

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:21 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
I usually play a fighter (get rid of some aggression ) or a mage. But I do always have a rogue so nothing gets left in a locked chest. I want everything!!!! And you have to talk to everyone!!!

Sure. Last time we've played PnP - I was mage, I love being mage - we travelled in a group of four (me, fighter, a girl who played bard and cleric). DM made an impossibly long negotiation for us with two stupid dwarves. It took smth like 30 minutes. It was sort of fun, but by the end of day, I was sitting back, paging through my Wizard's manual and thinking of strategy, and our cleric refused to admit that dwarves are intelligent enough to talk at all and tried to have a sleep, while our courageous bard went on with negotiations and those nasty dwarves finally let us in and gave something to us... So yes you have to talk to everyone! It's just that men cannot always do talking... to dwarves...
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:48 am
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Last time we've played PnP - I was mage, I love being mage - we travelled in a group of four (me, fighter, a girl who played bard and cleric). DM made an impossibly long negotiation for us with two stupid dwarves. It took smth like 30 minutes. It was sort of fun, but by the end of day, I was sitting back, paging through my Wizard's manual and thinking of strategy, and our cleric refused to admit that dwarves are intelligent enough to talk at all and tried to have a sleep, while our courageous bard went on with negotiations and those nasty dwarves finally let us in and gave something to us... So yes you have to talk to everyone! It's just that men cannot always do talking... to dwarves...

Did you offer the dwarves ale... it probably would have worked better than talking! A bard is always useful to sweet-talk people. I hadn't actually tried a bard until I played NWN... she was good, but I missed the rogue too much.

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:20 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

My my my. That's an impressive bit of topic drift for my forum.

And here I thought it was safe because Pinnen and DzD never visit.

As for opening chests and such in NWN, as an aside... I beat the game without difficulties (except the final fight) with a wizard. How I opened chests and disarmed traps? Pixie familiar (when I wasn't feeling lazy and just fireballed the room to open all the chests at once).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:17 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
My my my. That's an impressive bit of topic drift for my forum. And here I thought it was safe because Pinnen and DzD never visit.

We just were trying to make D&D section a little bit more fun place to be And a little bit more crazy, too I guess we shouldn't be moderated for such nice intentions?
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:11 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I loved BG2. I played it for almost 1 year, off and on. And then i finally decided to quit screwing around and finish it with Throne of Bhaal. Let me tell you, it is quite challenging later on, but very fun. And it seemed like the ending would never come. It went on and on and on. Awesome Game! I score it a 10 out of 10.
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:28 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

LOL!!! EverythingXen was soooo right about topic drift! It took me quite a time to understand why someone would post a message about BG2 in this thread!

@Ammon777 - But I sure agree with you
Post Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:16 pm
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
I loved BG2. I played it for almost 1 year, off and on. And then i finally decided to quit screwing around and finish it with Throne of Bhaal. Let me tell you, it is quite challenging later on, but very fun. And it seemed like the ending would never come. It went on and on and on. Awesome Game! I score it a 10 out of 10.

I agree. Top mark. I really enjoyed it and didn't think it went on and on at all. When it finished I started playing again from the start.

@EverythingXen. Sorry.

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:06 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I've played it enough that I think I can complete BG2 (doing all quests etc) in about 12 hours of play with a new character. Perhaps 16. It's a great game, no matter how many times you swear at the mind flayers.

Only played TOB once through... with my evil fighter/thief. I didn't find anything really challenging there... but some of the fights were pretty intense.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:11 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2