Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
DAoC and adventuring experience, does it have longevity?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

DAoC and adventuring experience, does it have longevity?

Shadeling wrote in another thread:

quote:
I heard that the level of adventure on DAoC isn't quite as developed as Everquest because the main goal of DAoC is to get powerful enough to PvP. Since I don't care for PvP at all, I just never felt the urge to try DAoC.

Same for me, I do not usually care for PvP kind of playing. I test it ok, perhaps play a bit but I like the possibility to really *adventure and explore* because I am that kind of a person. That is why I eventually got bored on DAoC. The PvM and adventure aspects are decent but they are quite short lived. The leveling process is mostly just camping and slaughtering. Pull -> kill -> pull -> kill -> buff -> ... DAoC does not have (this is my opinion) very interesting quests either and since the world is built from small zones there really isn't much adventuring either. Once you know the small zone, you either move to another new zone (unless you know them all) to get a new adventure or then you start camping monsters in a good known spot.

Unless you are able to bring real roleplaying into your game then you are pretty much doomed. And that is what happened to me. I played many characters post 40 levels and saw the same places once and all over. And once I got bored on the dull leveling process I did not really have any stamina left to move into another realm either.

The realms look very much different but the actual system is the same. And also the classes are only SEEMINGLY different.

However, during the time I liked DAoC (since beta where I began at '99 december) I liked it a *LOT*. So much that Asheron's Call was left behind. But once I had seen it all, I moved back to Asheron's Call.

That's what different between AC and DAoC. AC is very much designed for PvM and adventuring while the PvP aspects are also good. DAoC only seems to be designed for RvR (realm versus realm) play so all that interests people is the leveling treadmill so you can compete with your people. And I've seen it with many of my friends. They play for some time, but they loose the interest in DAoC pretty quick, like I did.

Well, this might be quite harshly said but that is how I feel it.
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:30 am
Early Q
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

UO wasn't so bad

Hmmm. Well I partly agree with you.

While MMOGs aren't my thing anymore I did once have a fancy for Ultima Online and Anarchy Online. I did beta for both DAoC US and Europe but I decided not to subscribe thereafter, although it was the best MMOG I'd played.

In the one realm versus realm where we (attempted) to capture a castle (didn't even get to the gate ) I found it annoying and frustrating:
for the most part, MMOGs are auto-combat; click and hope for the best, in this huge melee it got very frustrating, and only those lingering at the back who snuck up on people ever got anywhere. It was the same with AO, although I did subscribe to that as my poor little 56k couldn't handle the 600mb beta d/l (got to 95% ), I quit before the 'story' got anywhere, thus the only PvP experiance I got in that was in the Omni Entertainment Arena, where it would be selective slaughtering (ie anyone lower level/smaller gun/crappier armor than you).

Now Ultima Online, that was entirely different. All though it looks extremely dated now, the isometric view was the best for squabbles. And after I got my cable connection, I wandered off to the local factions stone and decided to apply my Felucca defensive skills (getting a little rusty) on some faction PvP. Now I played a mage, which is always the best class, most fun and most accomplished when you reach the top (never did though, 98.5 ), but the magic system was far more highly developed, and I loved the tactics that were available. True PvPers always rode llamas , get tons of cure, heal and explosion potions, cast buffs like reactive armor, chase opponent and cast poison!, they scramble with arch cure, or a greater cure potion, meanwhile your charging up the juiciest Energy-Bolt/Explosion combo. Arggh I ramble .

Point is, AO and DAoC and all other Everquest 3d clones have been named better than Ultima Online for their 3d engine... which incidentally is also their downfall, as in both instances PvP, and especially RvR combat makes for a very convuluted, and therefor frustrating screen. Correct me on the AO front, never tried a Nano Doctor or mage or whatever their called. Soldier with Heavy Grinner all the way .
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:28 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

In my opinion, adventuring in an MMOG, be it in PvP, or PvE (or PvM, however you want to call it), relies heavily on the people that you play with, the friends that you make online. In DAoC, the groups I hung out with made each experience different. When I hung out with a bad party, I had a lousy time. When I hung out with fun people, I had a great time! Same with AC. Same with AO. It's the same everywhere. The problem is that you can't always hang out with the same people (RL issues, and all) and sometimes you're utterly frustrated by the engine. But all in all, your experience is based on the people you are with. I remember some fun moments in DAoC, and I remember equally lousy moments. I'm sure it's the same with all MMOGs. There's only so much a developper can do.

Yes, the leveling treadmill is boring. Yes, DAoC's main flaw is that it relies on your level for the best part of the game, which is RvR. But I had fun playing in the frontiers even when I was a lowly level 26! And that was before they came out with the "kiddies" versions of frontiers for lower levels. Because I went there with good people and I had fun with it even if I got slaughtered a few times. I just had to stick to my role, which was being bait or scout

Anyway, all I'm saying is that someone's experience with these games tend to be based on his own experience with the people he plays with, rather than the physics of the game. And that's a good thing, up to a certain point. I mean, as long as the engine doesn't hadicap your capacity of having fun with people, then that's good.
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:19 pm
pakaraatzi
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I totally agree with Ekim. I play DAoC quite often, but its almost always with my good friend. So I almost never have a bad experience in the game. Even though most of the quests are not that complex, or the most interesting things ever, doing them with my friend makes them quite enjoyable. Same goes for the whole camping thing, when your with someone you like it makes the whole experience much better.
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:14 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: UO wasn't so bad

quote:
Originally posted by Early Q
...the only PvP experiance I got in that was in the Omni Entertainment Arena, where it would be selective slaughtering (ie anyone lower level/smaller gun/crappier armor than you).

This is slightly off topic on my part, but I can't resist...

My most fun PvP experience in AO was in the arena once. I came there to test something with a friend and this twinker wunderkind was there with his level 5 (or some such silly thing) character that was mutilating level 10s. Anyhow, he wouldn't leave us alone, so I talked to some people sitting outside arena, we all grouped up and I jumped inside the arena as bait. He targeted me, attacked me but I managed to get to the exit portal and teleported out of the arena. Him, being the little greedy twirp that he was, teleported after me, hoping to finish me off... well... surprise surprise... a nice littel possie is standing right next to the exit spot. And since they were grouped with me, and he was still hostile to me, they could attack him. As his body lay there on the ground, a huge long mass of quite foul stuff came out of him. I could just imagine how furious he was. Foaming out his mouth and all. So we all had a chuckle on his account and left while he still coudln't utter a single coherent sentence 10 mins later.

Power to the little people!
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:54 pm