A Dove with Broken Wings
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

A Dove with Broken Wings

If you have got a moment to spare, break away from your regular schedule and think with me of those who died in the tragedy today, as Columbia broke apart during re-entry. I have been a strong supporter of the space program since my childhood, I have seen the first man on the moon, I have followed those less known unmanned missions within the solar system, I have seen the Challenger explode and now Columbia break its wings. No dream comes without a price, and while we moarn those lost, I hope mankind won't forget that there are miracles to explore and new territories to be found... <br> <br>Those people who have died in this catastrophy aren't heroes, in my eyes. They are people like you and me who tried to live their dreams. That's what brings them so close to my heart. My thoughts are with you...
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:49 pm
Ragon
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I´m just like you.

Though not having witnessed the moon landing myself, i was absolutely fascinated with the Shuttle program itself, then the tension around the MIR, when the problems began, in the face of the dawning ISS, that i was absolutely thrilled by its perspective of having a really large station, made by cooperation of almost all (space-faring) mankind, including foremost the former enemy nations and biggest competitors in that field, the US and Russia, together with numerous European and other states, including my humble home country.
And was right attached to the TV set when the spectacular "Pathfinder" mission made it´s first rolls on Mars for several 24s (and grabbed video footage of it with my VCR), and never lost several other probe based enterprises, success or failure, out of my sight like Cassini, Galileo and others to Mars again.

Still manned space exploration has always occupied a special place in my heart and interest, enthusiasistic about the idea of Americans, Russians and others shooting up with rockets into orbit (and further) pushing forward the endeavour of conquering the universe on behalf of all mankind (as it again Mr. Bush stated today in his speech).

And i was also there, when the terrible happened to the first Space Shuttle suffering catastrophy:
I just came back from sports training and saw the pictures running over the TV screen again and again, being told by my family about what had happened concurrently.
Totally shocked and in sheer disbelief it took me a while to realize the thought impossible.
With time i grew a strong feeling this would never happen again
- and yet here we are again. Even more sad, they had almost made it back.
And it is all again like back then. Sad and hardly conceivable, when it all seemed to have become reliable routine again.

I hope they´re all now where they´d wished themselves in a possible afterlife or else and that their families and friends and otherwise related people will survive this somehow.

I also fully go with your assessment of them, Rend - no heroes, but vital and brave people with hopes, trying to fulfill theirs and the dreams of billions more, of mankind like themselves.
May they rest in peace.
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:53 pm
rwartow

A Time for Resolve

Just wanted to commend the prior 2 posters for such heartfelt and timely sentiments.
<p>
In 1974, as a young lawyer working for the GAO, I penned the legal decision, signed by The Comptroller General of the United States, that sustained the award of the original Space Shuttle Solid Rocket Booster contract to Thiokol. Working on that case, I stood atop the Saturn Rocket Testing Tower, and in the actual flamebuckets below.
<p>
After the Challenger, I continued my healthy respect and resolve gained during that experience, that we must continue to shoot for the stars. Though tremendously saddened, along with the country, at today's events, this should not steer us off course.
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:19 pm

Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

Rendelius and Ragon, thank you for putting into words what we are all feeling, but some of us cannot express in words.

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:28 pm
helo

si_atwork@hotmail.com

yes, a terrible turn of events. let's also take this opporunity to mourn the thousands of people that die daily, someone who just died a second ago of hunger, war, poverty, drunk driving, etc..., firefighters that defend everday's peoples lives with theirs. earthquakes, other space programs, etc... because all lives are equally valuable.
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:53 pm

hammermd23
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Though not as eloquent as all of you people, I'd like to add my own 'This really sucks,' to the pool...I'm glad some of you share my resolve that this should not deter us from further exploration, and thankfully, President Bush seems to feel the same way judging from his speech this afternoon.

damn that sucked.

hammermd
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:55 pm
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

It's just so sad to think that they had lived life to the full and seen amazing things up there and they would never get to share it with their families.

It makes it worse to think they would have felt the shuttle breaking around them and known this was their end.

It does suck, but there are always going to be people who want to go into space, and I think they should be given the opportunity in future since they know the risk.

IMHO, a life lived in fear is no life at all, they went to explore and seek knowledge and they were very brave and courageous. They lived life to the fullest and should be commended and remembered for that.

It is always tragic when people die before their time, bus I feel especially sad when the people had such a thirst for life and it's experiences.

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:54 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Amen to all of you.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:10 am
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

As the ship hurtled to the earth below, their spirits soared high above free. A terrible loss that I can't put into words.
Post Sun Feb 02, 2003 7:35 am