Usergroups
What is new with RPG's??
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

No, Iīm not. But until now I thought it was TB. I didnīt play it yet. It was released here last week.
Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:52 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
Might and Magic 6-8 might also be considered, with 7&8 being the best. AVOID M&M 9!!!

I'd avoid 8 - 'twas to easy ... and a bit short. The game play was very similar to 7 (same graphics engine), and basically the same system.

I would recommend 7 as the best cross between story and eye candy, although 6 (not as refined as 7& is the best buy for the money. MM6 is a HUGE world, very extensive playing ... but character classes are not quite as refined as 7. If a class can learn a skill at all they can reach top rank ... not like 7 (which also introduces the rank of grand master) and limits classes to ranks in skills. For example, a Thief can obtain the rank of grand master in the dagger skill where as a mage can only attain expert (there are 4 ranks, basic, expert, master and grand master). Each rank confers additional abilities and bonuses. So the party design in MM7+ more complex and needs to be finessed a bit more than in MM6 (which was a huge step up from 4-5).
Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:57 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: What is new with RPG's??

quote:
Originally posted by rambo

II like open ended stories, large worlds with lot to explore (like MW)

Well then you are missing your shot with both Gothic games. They offer exploration *in spades*. NO OTHER games mentioned here come even close .(though Wizardry 8 is better than others).

Consider that before you pass them up completely. You already played Baldur's Gate 2 (right ?) That comes closer to your "no twitch" but plenty to explore route.

Another game to consider is Arx Fatalis. It is an underground 1st person RPG/Adventure game. It has action based combat, but the combat is slower paced than Gothic. In fact, its closer to (and better IMHO) Morrowind.. The world is totally underground, but there are some interesting places to explore. Maybe you should look into that one more...

I guess Deus Ex is out, since that's as much a FPS as it is an RPG. But Deus Ex is another "explorer's paradise" type game like the Gothics...
Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:53 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2