Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
developing costs - holy topic??
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread

Hi everybody, I am interested in developing costs!!
I am not a developer or consultant or journalist or spy or whatever. Actually, I am not working on the gaming sector at all!!! It is pure curiosity!!!

My question is simple. Where can I find public data about developing costs of RPGs. Or anybody has any idea about the costs? They looks quite sophisticated games.

Thanks for any tips. Péter
Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 11:51 am

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I doubt you will find hard numbers on that. And I think it is very dependent on the type of game you'd like to develop. So many factors come into play there: di you write your own engine or do you license one? Do you outscore most of the work or do you do it in-house? How do you manage the team? And most dev groups won't disclose them to you either

So I doubt you'll find precise numbers -
Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 12:24 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Rend is absolutely correct. This is true in virtually every sector of business and industry - not just the gaming industry. Actual costs are only disclosed when a government forces the issue - and then they are lies if the lies can be developed in time .

Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:13 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Well it's not a CRPG, but the original King's Quest apparently cost about $700,000 to develop way back in 1984, which should say something about what today's budget's must be, and that was only with a staff of 6 people on the development team.

http://www.emuunlim.com/doteaters/play4sta2.htm
Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:38 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

omg 700,000 and that was 18yrs ago
no wonder all these big names want their games to be cookie-cutter style and are afraid to break molds.
Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 2:54 pm
mersil
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

i belive that Final Fantasy X was bugeted somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 million. of course that is quite high! but the expectation was also that high....they have sold over 4 million copies in the first month of release.....
Post Mon Feb 18, 2002 2:54 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

No, the movie was so expensive, not FF X.
If one wants to believe the numbers mentioned in German mags (I hope I remember them correctly) average productions cost 1.5-3 mio. $.

Then we can imagine AAA games developed by Blizzard, Lionhead, etc. cost 2-3x this amount due to more manpower and longer development times. It´s quite possible that the latest FF costs even more because it´s a safe bet.
Post Mon Feb 18, 2002 3:22 am