Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Can't Figure Out How To Get Into Rapax Castle...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I'm in the Rapax Rift, an area with walkways criss crossing lava, I found a key, but I don't know where it goes. I also found a rapax who needs some sort of staff to remove a curse he has on him. I see an area with a door and what looks like a teleporter, but the lava is blocking me. There is another wooden door nearby that I can't get to open it keeps saying 'a special item is required.'

I'm just stuck wandering around this area, oh and there are some prisoners here too, but I don't know what to do with them.

I know this is kind of vague, but hopefully someone will know what I am talking about and can give me some help. Thanks in advance!
Post Thu Mar 07, 2002 2:39 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I found this area very confusing at first too. Here's a big spoiler walkthrough for you.
**SPOILER**
First take the east tunnel.

Go up the steep path to the lava cells - you can click on the levers to lower the grates but you'll need to find some more levers to open the doors to the cells (and get the items stashed inside). Continue on, cross the suspended bridge, and enter the building. The rooms along the corridor contain some nice items and monsters; you should open every door and gain the Sanctum key and the Flamequencher Wand. At the far end of the building are the levers controlling the cell doors - click on them, return across the bridge to the cells, and loot them. Once again cross the bridge back to the building entrance and take the very steep path down to ground level.

Go west and enter the tunnel. Click on the support post in the tunnel to create a partial cave-in which will allow you to cross the lava-filled, narrow tunnel to the right (north). Check out the rooms along your way but your goal is the teleporters at the far end of the corridors. Step into the north teleporter to enter a new area of the Rift.

Use the Sanctum key on the doors, exit out, and take the long U-shaped east corridor (which swings back west). Ahead is a flaming cage with the Staff of Ash inside. Use the Flamequencher wand on the keyhole, grab the staff, and head over through the metal-mesh door. Click on the lever on the floor to open the opposite door and go right (west) to Rafe. A little perseverance with the 3-tumbler lock will open his door. Give him the staff for a nice reward and listen to his story. Return back through the metal doors and go back to the Sanctum.

Head north through the Sanctum taking on all monsters. Shortly you'll get a message about a suspicious doorway and can see a large, mouth-like statue just beyond it - it's a trap. To the right of the doorway is a panel - unlock it and then click on the mechanism inside to disable the trap. Continue north until you reach the final chamber. Inside is a stone - grab it then exit back south to the teleporter, take it, and then take the other.

Place the Beckoning Stone in the slot in the door and stand back as the statue above awakens. Fight and continue through the doorway. Walk north and Al-Sedexus will speak and then fade away. Go back south, take a right, and proceed along the narrow path to the entrance to the Courtyard.

Thanks to Ironworks for the hard work they put into their walkthrough.
Happy gaming!

Post Thu Mar 07, 2002 3:30 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Val:

Hey, thanks for the hints, I missed that support beam that creates a cave in, so that's where I'm headed.

Thanks again!
Post Thu Mar 07, 2002 3:46 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

You're welcome!

Post Thu Mar 07, 2002 3:51 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes was also stuck here for few confusing hours
Post Thu Mar 07, 2002 6:58 am
madglee
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

No doubt. I shut down and when I woke up in the morning I suddenly realized that there must be some damn way across the lava and hit that beam..
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 12:41 am
Vox Clamant
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

BTW - The rift tends to take the best characters you can bring. You probably found Vi refuses to enter. But, if you've invested in building up Vi's skills before entering the rift, then there's a way to add her to your rift party. (Works in the bay, as well.) Just enter the rift, set a portal, go back and get her, then enter via the portal. Only catch is that she goes into whine mode! Ever 2-3 minutes you have to put up with her complaints about being there. (Worth it, though, as her reach with a polearm is invaluable.)

Post Mon Mar 11, 2002 6:59 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Welcome Vox Clamant, I am glad to see new face here.

Interesting tip. I thought that only RFS81 (robot NPC) was ready to follow me everywhere.
Post Mon Mar 11, 2002 7:03 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Sheesh, thanks for the tip about Vi, currently I'm stuck with the Umpani bard and Sparkle. I don't mind Sparkle, but that bard really isn't helping out here at all, so getting Vi is pretty appealing about now.

Also, I'm trying to 'pledge' to the Rapax, I got the armor and the potion, but I don't know where this 'altar' is to complete the ceremony.

Anyone who can give me some advice as to 1. Where the altar is and 2. what to do with the potion, I'd appreciate it!
Post Mon Mar 11, 2002 8:49 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Altar is near entrance... It is not hidden, you will find it.
You need robe, helm and dagger and potion.
Equip one character with it, pour potion on altar, answer El Sadexus questions and offer her equiped character.
Post Mon Mar 11, 2002 8:52 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Is it near the entrance to the Rift or the actual Rapax castle, I have found a large room with what looks like an altar, I walked up a short ramp and found a nice ring there, but I don't know if this is the actual altar...
Post Mon Mar 11, 2002 9:03 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

No it was not altar, but altar is near.
Yes it is in Rapax Castle.
Post Mon Mar 11, 2002 9:04 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

K, thanks again Danicek...
Post Mon Mar 11, 2002 9:09 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

If you will not be able to find it here is map.
Post Mon Mar 11, 2002 9:14 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

All characters can be teleported into areas they don't want to go to, but they will all suffer in abilities in the areas they don't like to be in. In average 20-30% drop of skill points/hitpoints etc. Except the two characters (umpani and T'rang) you save from the wilderness clearing in the late midle game, they will suffer no penalty in any area eventhough they complain!

The Monk Robot RS-81 will not go to the wilderness clearing, when it's occupied with Rapax's, otherwise he will go everywhere.

"Vi Domine" don't mind going to the "Ascension peek" either, so her and RS-81 is very good NPC's, which you can get very early on and develop in your own way. Just force (by teleporting) Vi into areas the don't want, to make her collect experience in these areas too, eventhough her fighting skills will be reduced.
Post Tue Mar 12, 2002 9:52 am