Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Is Gothic I and Gothic II compatible with.........
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
dustcloud
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Is Gothic I and Gothic II compatible with.........

I was deciding whether to buy an AMD processor or Pentium 4 processor and was wondering if Gothic I and 2 were compatible with the AMD processors and if so, which one (AMD or Pentium) would be more suitable for the game. Thanx.
Post Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:10 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

It should work with both. I have an AMD 1.4 Athalon and have had no problems with any game. Noisy beast though!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:42 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

As Corwin said, it simply won't be an issue either way. I have an Athlon XP 2100+ and have never had a compatibility issue with a game.

As a very broad generalisation, Athlon system are particularly good value in the lower end, so it really depends on your budget and personal preference.
Post Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:49 am
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Intel vs AMD

The Intel 2.4B is the breaking point where you want to buy an Intel over an AMD processor. An Athlon XP 2000 will smoke a P4 2.0GZh but the 2.4GHz is new tech and much faster than any Athlon for the $$. If you're going to spend under around $140 on your processor go with an Athlon if your spending more get at least! a 2.4GHz P4.
Post Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:52 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

As the others said, it doesnīt matter whether you choose AMD or Intel. But donīt forget to buy a lot of RAM.
Post Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:47 am
RastaBlasta420
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
It should work with both. I have an AMD 1.4 Athalon and have had no problems with any game. Noisy beast though!!

Are they really noisy???

I use a pentium but thinking of switching to AMD.
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:24 am
Evil Timmy
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The noise has to do with your heatsink/fan (aka HSF), not your processor...you can buy fans that are nearly silent (below 30dB), or vacuum cleaner-esque fans that keep your processor cool even while overclocking.

My favorite HSF right now is this one. It has an adjustable knob, so most of the time, it's very quiet, but when my processor's going to be under a heavy load (gaming, rendering) I turn it up to keep it cool.

Both AMD and Intel's desktop processors run on the i686 standard, which was started with the Pentium Pro back in the day. The only real difference now is that Intel's latest processors support SSE2, which gives a performance gain to SSE2-enabled programs like Photoshop. You won't see a difference in games, though. For low-to-mid-range processors, AMD is a better choice, but if you are willing to cough up a lot of money for a top-of-the-line system, go with a P4.
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:29 am