south east temple strategy , please
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

south east temple strategy , please

I'm wandering around the south east wilderness, find a temple, steal the lAZURITE Stone OK, save, then get hammered by deathLords and sorceess Queens.I'm level 14 with a group that hasn't gelled yet but I would like any hints on defeating these Baddies. My screen has 6 elementals, 4 deathLords, 6 various sorceresses and 6 Priestesses along with their minions. I'm saving this screen shot since Nessie pales to them! I can come back and probably will later but any hints appreciated. thanks
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:15 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Certainly one of the more difficult battles in the game...

Naturally, you'll have magic screen up before combat begins. First round, I'd recommend an elemental shield and a soul shield. It might also be a good time for a canned elemental or six as a distraction. A good silence spell might put several of the casters out of commission. Insanity works sometimes.

As far as general strategy, that depends on whom you ask. I favor the approach of taking out the cultists/priestesses first. They don't have too many hit points, their spells add up in a hurry, and the elementals they summon are a pain. The death lords and queen can be melee'd mano-a-mano once the "mosquitoes" are out of the picture. I pretty much stand in the doorway tossing area-effect spells at the casters until they are mostly gone and then charge the big nasties.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 9:31 pm
otter
One of Us

Assume all Buffs are up.
I like to start in the corner of the doorway, just out of view of the mobs. I initiate combat to get the first round initiatiive, order up an Eye-for-an-Eye, a Haste, and a Soul Shield, step into view to acheive contact (just far enough to engage the first Cultist i can see) and step right back out of view.
I-4-I usually takes out more than half the Cultists and all the Elementals they summon when the Death Lords cast Death Wish (and Magic Screen + Soul Shield saves my chars). Staying just outside the entry also forces the Sorceress Queen to close, as she has no spells that work out of sight, and the Death Lords usually follow her right along, crowding the door enough that i only have one at a time on me.
Once engaged at melee range, the DL's usually stop casting to swing their swords. Every once in a while, the SQ gets in a Death Cloud, and some of those times someone dies of that in that round, before i can get the air purified, but i rarely have any other deaths.
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 9:50 pm
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

Thanks. I spent some time improving my group and am goiong back. I seem to get hexed right away, moving back after making them hostile gives all a chance to get one off before I can run. I'll let you know as this battle is my first here And seemingly impossibe like. Melee is the best way and /I4I is a must, here I go! Also for some reason they're spells are never missing and pillars don't make a diference, They must have a "no clip shoot thru cement Potion"!
Post Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:11 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, I remember...
I was not able to win this fight first time I found this temple (I am not sure what level my characters was).
I did other things and returned stronger. Then I started fight, went out next to the doors (behind corner) and with all defences on (especially magic scree) I killed all monsters.
Post Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:05 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Don't get distracted by the item right outside the temple. It's a distraction to let the baddies get initiative on you. Kill all first, and then look to clean up the loot.

I like Otter's advice, as it's similar to what I'd give you. The only thing I'd add is a haste spell.
Post Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:51 am
otter
One of Us

But if you cast Haste twice, it sets itself according to only the last one. This actually is a potential strategy: Rogue has developed Speed and wears Ankh of Speed, for Haste L4 (i think). Caster then gets initiative earlier to cast at 7 to speed up the whole party. (but not cumulative).
I just don't have spare personnel to cast 2 hastes, so i initiate combat from around corners a lot to get that first round surprize.
Post Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:10 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by otter
But if you cast Haste twice, it sets itself according to only the last one. This actually is a potential strategy: Rogue has developed Speed and wears Ankh of Speed, for Haste L4 (i think). Caster then gets initiative earlier to cast at 7 to speed up the whole party. (but not cumulative).
I just don't have spare personnel to cast 2 hastes, so i initiate combat from around corners a lot to get that first round surprize.
Sorry, my bad. I missed the fact that you had haste on your list. I thought I was adding it.
Post Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:56 am