Feargus Urquhart quits BIS
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Feargus Urquhart quits BIS

Saint Proverbius from <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com" target="_blank">RPGCodex</a> confirms that Feargus Urquhart has quit BIS. No word on why this has happened, but I think we will soon know (at least the official version).
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:10 pm
Incendiary Lemon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Its so strange to see him go, he was the face of interplay for the last ten years. I didn't enjoy the game they made in order to keep interplay afloat but Planescape and Fallout 2 were his. Feargus also created the Boneyards for the original Fallout.

Weird
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:35 pm

Say it ain't so, Joe!
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:39 pm

Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

Good for him.

Perhaps he can go use his talent for a company that hasn't completely sold out to the "quick buck/lame game" method that most developers are abusing these days.

Maybe Troika will open their doors.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:44 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

I have very mixed feelings about this. Realistically management teams change in companies all the time and business continues as normal - perhaps even better than before.

Nevertheless BIS has brought me more hours of enjoyment than virtually any other source over the last half-dozen years or so and I can't help a twinge of concern and sentimentality. Feargus has always been the face of BIS for me.

I wish them all well and hope everything is for the best.
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:16 am

Sad day for BIS. Feargus presided over some of the best games ever made. I wonder what's in store for him now, and if this will lead to the meltdown of BIS.
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:39 am

Crimson

What's the difference

Feargus did preside over some great games but they came out, what, 3+ years ago. What has Black Isle done since then in house? Nothing noteworthy. Maybe its time to say good bye Interplay and good luck Feargus. We can add Interplay to the scrap heap of RPG history like Sirtech, Origin, and New World Computing.
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:43 am

jski

bis

like all things in this society, we can speak with our dollar. Stop buying BIS and Interplay products. Start buying the products that the people we like produce. Instead of buying crap like Lionheart, buy the new Troika Greyhawk game. Better yet, buy a copy of Arcanum for a friend if you already own it. Best of all, buy the next product this talented man produces, because you know it will be heart and soul good. BIS and Interplay are a joke. All the talent that produced the games we love have gone and we have only ourselves to blame. Lets take charge and tell these corporate scumbags to go f--- themselves. Your dollar is louder than your voice, your e-mail, or your forum posts. speak loudly
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:34 am

Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

You are so right, we should let the dollar speak.
*... and finally orders Icewind Dale II, as he didn't have time upto now to play it....*
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:01 am
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

@jski. I am looking forward to Lionheart- if it's still going ahead. Just because you think something is not your taste please don't label it as crap. For it to be crap you would actually have to have played the finished product- and well, there may not even be a finished product now. Most unlikely since it is nearly finished, but you never know.

While everyone has eagerly been waiting for Fallout 3 it seems very unlikely now- even if Feargus goes to Troika- BIS will not sell them the rights to make the game, even though they are the best people for the game as they were on the original design team. There are a few people still at BIS associated with the original Fallout, but since they only produce crap according to you, that would mean any further Fallout games would be crap. I do not think it would be crap, as BIS has given me more gaming hours and more enjoyment than any movie/DVD company, and when you consider I own over 200 DVD's, the $80 I've paid for a BIS game has been money very, very well spent. I do think Feargus and the original team would be the best to make another Fallout, and wonder if a new team would be up to scratch. Rumour has it some people are leaving BIS with Feargus- if these are the people who worked on Fallout, that would leave very few of the original team and a big hole when it game to designing the much anticipated FO3. I realise there is no official FO3, but rumours have been flying for a while- if others leave with Feargus that may close the book on the possibility altogether.

I think this is a very sad day for gaming, but I am sure he had his reasons and that there will be a lot of people trying to snap him up (unless of course he is leaving to start his own company, in which case best of luck to him).

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:18 am
Dhruin

Lionheart is the sort of crap I want to play, so my dollar is ready and waiting to spend on it. As for BIS not having made any good products for 3+ years, I think Jefferson has/had excellent potential and I enjoyed IWD2 etc.. Before anyone points out Jefferson has not been officially released, while this is true at least I've seen a screenshot which is more than I can say for Greyhawk.

No talent left at BIS? I believe JE Sawyer, Chris Avellone, Dave Maldonado and others are very talented designers, let alone the excellent artists and so on.
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:40 am
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Hmm, since Fallout, Tim Cain has released Arcanum, a game that disappointed most who played it (I'm one of the exceptions here, but I love most RPGs) Black ISle on the other hand have developed Fallout 2, Planescape, Icewind Dale 1 and 2 and had a hand in Baldur's Gate 2 alongside Bioware. I'm also looking forward to both Lionheart and Jefferson.

I'm truly sad to see Feargus go, and hope he has great success in whatever endevoirs he undertakes in the future. There are also rumours that J.E Sawyer is also leaving.
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:45 pm
jski

putting words into peoples mouths

Since people seem to be speaking for me and making asumptions about what I said, I`ll ask you to read what I posted and show me where I said Black Isle and Interplay made bad games. I said BIS and Interplay are a joke because the people who made all of the absolutely great games they have produced have either been fired or quit. I don`t know if Lionheart will be good or not.I refer to it as crap because we have been waiting for Fallout 3 for how many years and instead we get an alternate history fantasy rpg. It is crap because they continually ignore there fans by abandoning great properties (torment) or spending years taking fan favorite series into "other genres" to "expand the audience" (Fallout) with total failure.Another great example is Baldurs Gate. I have played Dark Alliance. It is BG in name alone. Its just a pretty arcade button masher. Do we get an announcement of a Baldurs Gate 3, no we get Dark Alliance 2.
I`ll say once more to clarify----not only did I not say BIS and Interplay games were crap,but towards the bottom I refered to their games as games we all love.It would be nice if people would reply to what posts say without making s--- up.
BTW: I thought ID2 was ok,but I liked Arcanum better even though it was pretty ugly in comparison.I felt bad for Troika because it did not sell that well and though it had problems I thought it was a great setting. It is odd that the game did not look as good as even the older fallout games and was so poorly animated (just my opinion)
I apologize for any spelling errors
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:56 pm

Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I'd agree about Arcanum. The biggest problem with the game though, was a total lack of balance. The game was easy for a mage, yet very tough for a gunslinger. The main reason there has never been a Fallout 3, was because the first 2 were not great sellers. Baldur's Gate was a huge success, and far surpassed any expectations Interplay had, so I can understand why they repeatably release similar type games. Torment on the other hand, was not as a big a success, so that could explain why there never a sequel. Other great games Interplay developed that never sold: Sacrifice, Freespace 1 and 2, Hostile Waters, Giants, and many more. On the whole, I agree with a lot of what you say. One of their biggest mistakes I always felt was the inability to utilise the last audio footage of the original Star Trek cast, and finally release the Secret of Vulcan Fury. Instead we got the same old tired rubbish that Activision is now releasing. (Star Trek games I mean)

As for their console games, I'd agree that Interplay hasn't got the slightest idea what it's doing. Hunter and Run like Hell both seem to be total flops, and Dark Alliance wasn't the monster hit I'd expect from a console variant. Fallout: Brotherhood also seems to misunderstand it's core audience. In fact the only real problem with your original post was calling Lionheart 'crap', as the game hasn't been released yet, and for all we know could be another classic.
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:26 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

@jski: As you were pretending to be speaking for me when you said that we should: "Start buying the products that the people we like produce. Instead of buying crap like Lionheart". I wanted to make clear that you are not.
I didn't like all the games BIS produced but I liked a lot of them. I like what Josh Sawyer produces. I actually think Lionheart could be a good game (although not produced by JE) as I think Jefferson might be a good game.

Reading what was written I think people were replying to what you wrote and how you wrote it. Personally I don't see how it could be interpreted differently until you explained it better in your last post.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:08 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next