Spend the Night: Preview @ Next Generation
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Deljarum
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Spend the Night: Preview @ Next Generation

I could try to come up with an introduction for this game, but I think this quote from Next Generations' <a href="http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1218&Itemid=2" target="_blank">preview of Spend the Night</a> rather sums up the whole enchilada, as it were...
<br>
<br><blockquote><em>A game in which adults are encouraged to indulge their sexual fantasies is bound to attract the media's attention but, so far, Republik's Spend the Night has been keeping a low profile. Come the middle of next year, when it launches online, that'll all change.
<br>
<br>Details are scant at present, and Coshland doesn't want to give too much away, but the basics are simple. Players go online, choose a graphical identity, mooch around with other players, find someone they like, and find a room. Graphics claimed to be "cinematic" are promised, and a simple interface allows the action to proceed.
<br></em></blockquote>
<br>
<br>Controversy, anyone? I'm really interested in seeing everyone's take on this, so please feel free to discuss this left and right in the forums. Of course, I want serious, mature discussion, and the first person to make a "hard drive" joke gets a pie in the face...
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:23 am
Hypatiae

Controversey

Ok, I will start.

I will never understand why it is ok to blow up a living human being with TNT stuffed down his throat or get points and prestige for "head shot" kills with automatic rifles but anything having to do with sex is terrible.
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:26 am

Wildefire
General Goods Vendor
General Goods Vendor

It's an interesting idea, and possibly a next step in Internet dating. But if you think MMOs and chat rooms break up marriages now, just wait til the repressed gamers of the world get ahold of this!

I think the game faces a couple of big issues though- first, with an Adults Only rating, you're not going to find it in many stores. As a result, without smart marketing the only people who will probably even hear about it will be the more hardcore gamers (no pun intended). And this leads to the second potential issue, because those hardcore gamers are exactly the ones to like to roll female toons because they don't want to be staring at a guy's butt for the hundreds of hours they're going to be playing a given game.

It's just accepted that many/most female toons in MMOs are really guys- but since sex and dating haven't been 'the point' in MMOs up til now, that hasn't really mattered. But here... I dunno.
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:39 pm
Deljarum
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Mechanics?

I personally agree on the AO rating, and I don't expect it to be in many stores. In an interview at the International Game Developers' Association (http://www.igda.org/sex/archives/2005/09/5_questions_gle.html#more), the creators discuss many of these hurtles and their planned digital distribution. It's an interesting read, and I'd love to personally interview them.

All issues of distribution aside, I'm just curious about the scope and mechanics of the game. Can this be said to have gameplay? Will encounters be minigames of skill, or simply a menu of "actions" to peruse and program.

Very, very interesting...
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:02 pm